PDA

View Full Version : Rant

DickB
05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Last week the machine was finishing up a long project, several parts, carves plus cutouts, working on the last cutout, when it lost x-axis tracking. I was cutting a 3/4" board 1/4" at a time, and you could see where it lost it and started drifting on the 2nd or 3rd cutout pass. The project stopped with a y-axis stall when the bit got overpowered I suppose. I guess I should be thankful that the bit was not broken, but half the parts on the project were ruined.

I suspected that the x-axis encoder was dirty, as everything else looked OK, and sure enough it was. (After cleaning it and reinstalling, several projects since have been flawless.) I noticed when cleaning it that not only was there no seal or sealant used on the encoder cover, but there are gaps around the electrical connector and the encoder cover - lots of opportunity for dust to enter. BTW I do have a dust collection system. I "fixed" (more like Band-Aided) this by applying a thin coat of silicone seal on the cover and covering the whole connector opening with masking tape after I plugged the connector in.

OK, here's the rant. Take a look at the photo of a cheap Radio Shack wireless outdoor thermometer sending unit.

Look at the metal inserts with threaded holes in the plastic body, and the rubber gasket on the cover that seals up the innards, totally dust- and water-tight, when the cover is screwed on. Very effective and high quality, in my opinion, for a cheap product for which I paid maybe $20.

So why can't my $2000 machine have seals on critical parts at least this good?

ktjwilliams
05-14-2011, 07:52 PM
I feel UR pain !!!! Hope U feel better now that U got it out of UR system !!! LOL !!! These machines can be frustrating sometimes....

cestout
05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
My x-axis was getting falkey - drifting all over on the same project. I cleaned the tracking O ring with alchaol and a test carve was ok. So I tried a real carve and it over the place again. I search out the post I had seen on O rings, ordered a bag of 100, and in two days (quick shipping) and everything was back - actually seemed better than before.
Clint

gregsolano
05-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I have seen suggestions from this forum show up on machine upgrades and new designs so who knows you may have just come up with the next upgrade!