PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm in trouble.

Deolman
05-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Our first grandchild to get married is doing so in a week. I have attached the mpc I am trying to carve. Everthing went well until it tried to carve the writing. I am using the old QC with a bit I have used many times before. I have Conform turned on. This time it air-carved the letters. From the outside looking in it looked like the bit did not even get to the surface of the board. When it asked for the bit prior to carving it did all it was supposed to. Just prior to carving it went through the routine again - each time contacting the bit plate

Now with only a week to finish it I need suggestions on what I can do to salvage what I have done. Any suggestions? Can I air-carve different regions over the main carving avoiding the rings and then try the centerline text again or ????

Is it possible to do a couple of carve regions at .175 depth just barely a larger square than the lettering and then do the centerline in the carve regions? I guess part of what I am struggling with is how do I ensure the machine thinks the board is .750" thick?

jaroot
05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised that none of the "experts" have replied to this yet and I'm away from my computer with designer on it so I'm unable to even open your mpc. When I get back home I'll take a look and see if my novice eyes can see anything.

Hopefully AL or AskBud with chime in soon and get you going.

Sallen1215
05-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Most of the experts were probably in the conference. should be back to answer soon i would hope.

AskBud
05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm afraid that your original piece will be hard to salvage using Centerline, even with Conforming Vectors.
You could re-run the old board with all the steps and see how the 2nd application goes. It may be off a bit, but you will get to see if it is the MPC or your pilot error.

If the 2nd carve does well, you could start with a fresh board and succeed. If the same problem exists, you probably need to assure that you have activated the Conforming Vectors Module and select a different Font (a little darker in tone).
AskBud

DocWheeler
05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Before conforming vectors we use to run the project as two projects.
First project would be just like you have it carved now.
Second project would just have the centerline text.

Erase everything but the text in your mpc, rename and save this new mpc,
and run it again making sure that it touches-down on the top of the hearts.

Good luck

Deolman
05-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Troubleshooting Ticket Closed.

I neither removed or changed the board from it's original position. I just let it set there overnight. I then modified the original mpc by creating a carve region just a little larger than the writing and set the depth just .004 higher than the hearts. I loaded this pattern into the CarveWright and started it up. It went through the start-up routine asking for the 60º bit first and then the carving bit. As the truck went over to start carving the square, I paused it and pulled the carving bit out. This prevented the carving bit from marking up the surface already carved. I then resumed it and let it air-carve the two squares. I replaced the carving bit with the 60º bit when it asked for it. The CarveWright then proceeded to carve the letters for me.

The only other thing I did was pull the 60º bit out of the QC adapter about 1/4". I just had to wonder if it was too short to match the updated software. I have carved many characters on several signs in the past using the same exact font. (Monotype Corsiva) Up until now, it has never failed to work correctly. This is the first time I have used the conforming software. Because the weather has not warmed up here I have not been able to use my machine since last November. I have the new CT chuck and I have just been waiting for warmer weather to install it.

I want to thank all who looked at my problem. I think this forum ROCKS! It has been all of the collective information I have received from this forum that has kept me using this machine. Yeah, I'm a confirmed carveaholic. THANKS EVERYONE!

AskBud
05-14-2011, 07:52 PM
SUPER NEWS!
AskBud