PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stall, Error 246

derek
01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
How can I clear the error of

Z Axis Stall,
Error 246

Just a little background. I have less than 2 hours of use out of the machine. Bought it yesterday and was able to carve two projects last night. Was extremely happy with the results. Came home from work tonight and was able to carve one project and 1/4 of the next before I received the error listed above.

I made sure that everything was clean and just the way I received it when it was removed out of the box. Tried a different project thinking that I was asking the machine to do to much. This time just tried to carve a name. It acted weird, the 1/8 carving bit was punching through the 3/4 board. Other times it just seemed to hover over the working surface. I looked like it was carving but it was 2 inches off the board.

Can anyone know what I need to do? Please help, I have many projects I need to get done before Sunday. Any help?

David M.
01-12-2007, 10:56 PM
There have been some issues with the new machines being shipped with the wrong firmware loaded, I'm not sure if this is the issue but you should check with CW, they'll get you up and running.

derek
01-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Just to bring everyone up to speed on my situation? I spoke with the folks at CW about my situation and they figured out the problem. Parts were on the way (new Z-Axis motor pack + board sensor. I was days away from carving on this over priced boat anchor. So the parts came in and I did the replacing. Then all I could get was another error, "Clear board sensor" and "Edge Detection Failed Error 398". I traded one error for two. Finally Monday rolls around and I can actually talk to someone at CW. They walked me through this problem. Wires were out of track on the back of the horizontal moving truck. Put everything back togather and I was able to turn the machine on with no errors. I almost didn't know what to do when the LCD told me to "Please load board". I was able to carve a very simple project that took approx. 30 minutes. I was so happy with the quality of the work the machine had done. So excited I thought I would be able to do two in a row. I must have gotten cocky. The project was looking great, right down until the last few seconds. It got to 98% complete and then bam, The 1/16th bit jammed through the board as if it were warm butter. Oh and the error message "Z Axis Stall Error 246". The same error my poor CompuCarve machine started life with. I have had this machine for a month, Machine has carved 3 1/2 projects with a total of just under 3 1/2 hours on it. So I ask myself, and I really need help on this one. What is keeping me from returning this over priced boat anchor?

Jeff_Birt
01-22-2007, 08:20 PM
grab ahold of your z-truck and give it a good wiggle. It SHOULD NOT have any play. If your Z-truck is loose you will get symptoms ranging from 'scratches' to things looking llike they are carved at diffrent heights. Also check that the homing sensor on the Z-truck is not hitting the the flag.

derek
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
There is no play in the Z truck, I can move it side to side with no problem, but when it comes to up and down, I get a clicking noise like something else is broke. The rubber belt behind the Z Truck no longer moves like it did before. I thought that maybe it was to tight so I backed off the screw behind the Z Axis motor pack to loosen it up a bit. Not loose but not extra tight either. Still nothing.

Ron Baird
01-22-2007, 09:59 PM
sounds like you have a mechanical problem. It could be teeth stripped off the Z belt or teeth off the motor drive gear or the drive gear loose on the motor. The belt should be tight.

littlemikeyp
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Take a look under the Carvewright Machine forum and look for "If you're thinking about buying this machine..." You can read all of the issues that I've managed to work through.

Sounds to me like you're having a problem with the circuit board mounted on the back of the Y-axis truck, the Z-axis positioner or you're having the same static problem that I had.

If it's the circuit board you need a new one.

If it's the Z-axis positioner you probably fried the light chopper circuit inside the motor assemby. In which case, you need a new one.

If it's the static problem you need to make some significant modifications to your machine to get it to work SOME of the time.

Enjoy and good luck. I've had mine disassembled to parade rest (literally) and have had most of the problems that you can read about. My post includes a lot of information.

frankg217
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
:evil: I just received my machine and did 2 projects that did not come out well- the first was my fault- the second it cut through the carving and then the 3&4th I received the z axis stall error 246- please tell me if this machine is worth keeping and and if you have really made any peices you are impressed with?

The Bard
01-28-2007, 03:32 AM
The Gallery is full of them.