PDA

View Full Version : Glued Stock & Carving

Oldtrainerguy
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Carvers:

Can one glue two pieces of stock together then carve? I am making a box for a friend and need to carve a pattern into the lid.

bjbethke
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Carvers:

Can one glue two pieces of stock together then carve? I am making a box for a friend and need to carve a pattern into the lid.

Yes, here is a good clamp, that is easy to make, http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip021206sn.html

Also flip the growth rings so they do NOT go in the sane direction; this keeps the panel from cupping.

Gean
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I too have glued up many a boards for my carving projects. Just make sure they are fairly flat so that the tracking roller will stay in contact.

keninar
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Glue-ups have worked fine for me. Just steer clear of doweling or using biscuits in the joining. They look really ugly when you cut into them!!

atauer
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Glue-ups have worked fine for me. Just steer clear of doweling or using biscuits in the joining. They look really ugly when you cut into them!!

I'll second that!

I have done several glue-ups the past couple months, and have even taken on a few re-saw projects as well. My next major project is a stand alone jewelry box, with numerous drawers and shelves, not just for jewelry, but for other things my wife wants to keep as well, such as the monogrammed wine glasses that we got for our wedding and some of the other expensive things that we will never use.

Okay, scratch the jewelry box. It is going to be a trinket chest instead. Same layout, different name.

Oldtrainerguy
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
As Always the board rocks!

Thanks guys

Deolman
05-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Another trick to keep the boards aligned during glue-ups is use a board about 24" long X 2" wide X 3/4" thick. Drill 1" holes in the middle of the 2" width on the wide side so you have 6 holes, 4" apart starting 2" in from the end. Rip the board so you have 2 boards 1" wide with half holes in them. Crosscut these boards so you have 12 boards each 4" long. Position one of these boards, with one above and one below each joint and the holes bridging over the joint. Now clamp them so the glue-up boards are even. I have tried to make a simple drawing of the board with the holes. After drilling, cut on the solid lines.