PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing??

Lindell
05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I am definately a beginner with the CarveWright. At this time, it is near the end of the school year am in need of help. I have a 3 board sign we (woodshop class) are making for an Eagle Scout Project. Sign board #1 "to the" was done on a 2"x10"x48" piece of treated lumber. Pretty much no problem. The problem now is that I edited the size of the board to 2"x10"x60" and edited the text from "to the" to "Welcome" and for the 3rd board to "Village of Iuka". The font style and associated settings I thought were the same.

What I discovered when I was reviewing the images on the software, was that a small edge (step) at the bottom of the text was created on the two new boards. The original "to the" was "beveled" (sp) from top to bottom of the font. The edited text "Welcome" now has that small step at the bottom. WHAT AM I MISSING???

Thanks!
Lindell

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
OK, I am seeing the same thing too when I open the .mpc.... You are asking the Tapered Bit to cut .75 deep.... When the bit is all the way down in the hole the tip will be 1/8 of an inch away from the bottom edge of the inside wall of the board.

Now some suggestions.... DON'T CUT PRESSURE TREATED WOOD IN YOUR MACHINE..... ESPECIALLY if it is still WET.... The new Pressure Treated is most likely the Copper Based and it WILL RUST STEEL.... In fact you MUST use Stainless Steel Hardware with it for a DECK or Hot Dipped Galvanized.... I have some Brad point Drill Bits that I used on Pressure Treated that look like Antiques....

Second you are using 2 By Stock 1.5 inches thick.... That is a lot of WEIGHT.... It could stall or Snap your X Gears.....

Third... 3/5 inch deep..... That is a lot of DEEP..... A suggestion is to cut it with a different font... a Single Stroke Font... Like Modern.... Then use the Outline Function and assign a 3/4 inch End Mill type Bit that has the PLUNGE Capability as it NEEDS a BOTTOM CUTTING EDGE.... I use this method to do 2.25 high letters using the 3/8 Plunge Bit and only set the depth to .1 DEEP.....
When you make bigger letters you need to use a bigger bit to not leave too much UN cut wood in the center of the bigger letters.... If I use the 3/8 bit and make my letters 1.5 high then the center of the "A" gets cut out.... See the Correlation of size of letters and size of bit using the OUTLINE Feature.... See my Pocono Digital website Hemlock Farms page for pictures.

I recommend using the machine to cut out letters from Quality Cedar or even PVC Board... Like my Kuhn Project....

The Pressure Treated Solution will cause major rusting damage to your machine... The Steel Rails will look like junk yard steel....

The older Pressure Treated has Arsenic in it.... So it is even worst...

Do the whole project in CEDAR... SAVE your machine.....

I was working at the local Lumber Company when the Transition to the New Pressure Treated was taking place... There are going to be a high number of Wooden Step Failures where the OLD TIMERS said Baaaaaaaaaaah I have been using my Framing Air Nailer my whole life on Pressure Treated... I don't need your silly Stainless Hardware or Double Hot Dipped Galvanized..... Baaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Many of the steps will fail under weight as the steel nails desolve..... YES this WILL HAPPEN..... And Steel Lag Screws holding decks to buildings will FALL like the one in Chicago last 4th of July.... People will be KILLED Lawsuits will... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......

Stepping off my Soap Box....

AL

Lindell
05-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks, I am in a different classroom (machine shop) at this time, and cannot view the projects here. I do not remember setting the bit type until the project was loaded into carvewright, and I chose the 1/8" straight bit. I will look at the program when I get back into the "woodshop".

Again, thanks!
Lindell

AskBud
05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I am in a different classroom (machine shop) at this time, and cannot view the projects here. I do not remember setting the bit type until the project was loaded into carvewright, and I chose the 1/8" straight bit. I will look at the program when I get back into the "woodshop".

Again, thanks!
Lindell
For that deep of Raster Carve, you don't want to use the 1/8" straight cutting bit, as it is not strong enough to withstand the pressure!
You are better off just using the 1/16" Carving Bit (Tapered Raster Bit) and accept the fact that your edges will have a slight tapers (Bevel).
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
That was a RASTER CARVE and can only be cut with a Carving Bit.... as in Tapered Bit... The $40.00 1/8 inch end mill cutting bit will snap off in about the first 30 seconds as the side to side quick cutting of the Raster Carve Region of the letters you have set up.

You can always call me about the machine, my phone number is on the bottom of my web pages listed below....

Finding the CarveWright Tips and Tricks would really help you understand the machine and it's ability. Prevents a lot of Pilot Errors like when you raise the head too high and it clicks... In the Manual to prime the lead screw inside the machine...

Good Luck... we welcome your Questions and Wish you luck...

Be careful about the Boy Scouts logo... The Copyright issue has been posted here before.... They will go after YOU....

Another good forum is Sawmill Creek CNC and Engraving Forum and Engraving Etc. forum...

AL

Edit: Bud you type too fast..... LOL.... Good info...

Lindell
05-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Finally, I am getting back to thank you for the help. We now have Cedar for the signs and we are going only 3/8" down. We are using the 1/8 inch tapered bit. It seem to be doing well. Now, the only difference,in the final product, is the carved test in the "to the" sign and the "Welcome" sign is carving differently.

I have tripled checked what I kow to check. i.e. the font style, size, depth, same bit is being used, board size, etc. But, the edge that is being left inside the font is different. It is 1/8" DOWN from the top on the "to the" sign and 1/8" UP from the bottom on the "Welcome" sign.

Obviously, with the sign being along side of a road, most may not see the difference, BUT!!!

Again, thanks for the previous info and thanks for any future info.

Lindell