PDA

View Full Version : Two pattern questions

djarboe
05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
This first question is really going to make me look dumb, and rightfully so. I have purchased several patterns for use. Where are the pattern files stored? I can find some, but not all.

Second question: Found a pattern that was close to what I really wanted, and bought it. When I tried to edit it to include my modifications, the pattern editor said I can only edit unlicensed patterns that I have created. Is there anyway to make minor modifications to a purchased pattern?

Dave

bjbethke
05-08-2011, 02:40 PM
This first question is really going to make me look dumb, and rightfully so. I have purchased several patterns for use. Where are the pattern files stored? I can find some, but not all.

Second question: Found a pattern that was close to what I really wanted, and bought it. When I tried to edit it to include my modifications, the pattern editor said I can only edit unlicensed patterns that I have created. Is there anyway to make minor modifications to a purchased pattern?

Dave

You would need to ask the Owner of the pattern to make adjustments for you or ask if they will sell you the MPW file.

The patterns are installed as a MPN file on your Hard Drive. (Favorites) at this location, C:\Documents and Settings\"file name"\CarveWright

NOTE; if you click on this file, you can't see what is in the file, but if you try to look, it will add the file again to your "Favorites" in the CW Designer Program. You need to look at this file in CW Designer.

djarboe
05-08-2011, 03:28 PM
You would need to ask the Owner of the pattern to make adjustments for you or ask if they will sell you the MPW file.

The patterns are installed as a MPN file on your Hard Drive. (Favorites) at this location, C:\Documents and Settings\"file name"\CarveWright

NOTE; if you click on this file, you can't see what is in the file, but if you try to look, it will add the file again to your "Favorites" in the CW Designer Program. You need to look at this file in CW Designer.
Thanks for the information. For some reason, my access to "Documents and Setting" is denied. Will contact Dell about this.

Is there some way to set up my downloads so I can set up where they go?

Sorry, just being dumb again.

Dave

bjbethke
05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the information. For some reason, my access to "Documents and Setting" is denied. Will contact Dell about this.

Is there some way to set up my downloads so I can set up where they go?

Sorry, just being dumb again.

Dave

Yes I store mine on SD chips, when you need the file just click on it and it will auto load to your MPN folder. The more memory you have on your computer the larger the file can be. This will add another file, when you are done with it just delete it. I keep my PTN’s this way. Put a screen print in the folder it makes it easer to find the patterns when you need them. You can also use CD/DVD's.

bjbethke
05-08-2011, 05:04 PM
'Documents and Setting" is denied

I run Windows XP, The D and S file should open -Click the start menu and open the HD, mine is Drive C, (My Computer)

I posted some images;

mtylerfl
05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Hello Dave,

On a Win 7 64-bit OS computer, you may not be able to access the Documents and Settings folder. Instead, the favorites.MPN file will be located in the Users\(yourname)\Carvewright folder

However, you still will not be able to view individual PTN files that are contained in that MPN folder. When you downloaded the files, do you remember what folder you saved them in? That's probably where your "missing" PTN's are. In other words, the ptn's you can't locate were probably never put in the MPN file in the first place. Otherwise, they should automatically appear in your Pattern List/Library already, in Designer.

Once you find your downloaded PTN's then import them into your Pattern List/Library, all should be well. Do a word search of the patterns in question on your Desktop and Hard Drive to find the PTN's you are missing.

I hope this helps!

www.carvenow.com
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Dave

For patterns purchased from independent sellers like myself, the actual PTN pattern files located in a specific folder you have selected during download process. For example: If you have a folder named "Patterns" on your computer, at the time of download just browse to that folder and click save. All saved patterns will be in that folder. After downloaded the PTN pattern you will then use designer software to import it into your pattern library to be able to use the pattern. A copy will remain in original folder.

For patterns purchased from Carvewright pattern vendors the pattern is saved straight to your patterns library (correct me if I'm wrong on this one). The pattern library named favorites.MPN located in drive C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Carvewright. The favorites.MPN file store all of your patterns as one single file instead of individual pattern files.

To be able to modify the pattern, you must be the original creator of that pattern. Yes, most pattern maker like myself will gladly making modification at no extra cost. So send them an email.

Hope this help.