PDA

View Full Version : Bit Calibration Arm

HillbillyBill
05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone:

My bit Calibration Arm is not swinging all the way which doesn't alow the machine to get the height of the bit. Is there anywhere I need to look or an adjustment? There is a Release sticker right below the arm.

My chuck is also a pain. Its very hard to get it to accept a bit.

Thanks for any help.

fwharris
05-06-2011, 08:31 PM
The bit calibration arm "bit plate" not swinging out is usually caused from the Z truck not traveling far enough to the far side to push it out. Most common causes are"

* cut motor wires in the far back corner sticking out and hitting the back of the z truck and stopping the full travel of the z truck. Make sure they are tucked back in the corner. Also if the wires have the black plastic wire guard cover on them take it off.

* dirty Y rails

* burrs on the bottom edge of the z truck where it hits the bit plate and burrs on both ends of the bit plate. Especially on the end that snaps back and hits the frame.

AskBud
05-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Measuring bits
Turn the machine off and move the Truck by hand and see if you can accomplish the task with no extreme pressure. There could be several reasons for the contact not to be made, or the plate to move stiffly.

1) The Truck travel may be impeded by dirt on the rail, or in the track. Lube on the track or blowing out the inside of the track may help.
2) The Truck belt may not be tight enough (The adjustment is made by changing the tension on the Right end of the track).
3) The Bit Plate may need a spot of lube.
4) Check for a set of wires to be blocking the Bit Plate movement (They are just beyond the Plate, and should not touch). Move them toward the main cut motor. They actually impede the truck from contacting the Bit (touch) Plate with enough force to move it in place.

HillbillyBill
05-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks Guys! I will check it all in the morning! :)