PDA

View Full Version : 3d F-18 model.

lilskip
05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I would like to carve a 3d model of an F-18A and a f-18D. simalar to the f-22 pen holder project here in the carvewright store (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=19313&cat=0&page=1) minus the air force base haha. So if any of you guys with the really nice 3d software and STL software let me know how much it would cost to get a model pattern created. So anyone can help me out. Please email or PM me.
Thanks

lilskip
05-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Just to calrify I am not expecting anyone to do this for free just at a reasonable price, because I don't have the software yet. so it anyone can help me out please let me know.

Alan Malmstrom
05-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Here is a simple F18 I traced from an image online. Left click the black and white and choose save file as or save image as to your hard drive and then import it into designer.

Alan

bergerud
05-08-2011, 12:23 AM
This is a fairly monumental task you ask and the result might not be what you want. I suggest you buy the STL importer so that you can do the interesting, labor intensive part yourself. It is not so much to ask someone to convert a 3D fighter to STL for you. Buy or find a 3D fighter (.max) on the web and someone with 3dsmax can convert it for you.

bjbethke
05-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Here is a simple F18 I traced from an image online. Left click the black and white and choose save file as or save image as to your hard drive and then import it into designer.

Alan

Your image will not make a good pattern, It is too small and as a JPEG at 72 DPI there is a lot of trash in the image.

Alan Malmstrom
05-08-2011, 10:41 AM
The image is reduced or something when I uploaded it. If the original poster wants the image I will have to send it to him by email if he sends me a Personal Message with his email attached. I was basically practicing by making this and it is not really a very good image. Like bergurund said in previous post it is a monumental task to make a new 3d image and I don't think it would be worth it for someone to spend hours on it and still be worth it for the guy to pay for it. There must be an image already done ready to buy in the pattern library or on ebay or something. Or I could spend a few hours making something for the guy if he pays me $20 an hour. I would require that lilskip find an image first and then I will make it into a quality 3D image. But it would cost a lot. Either way let me know.

Alan

dougmsbbs
05-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe this will give someone a starting point to work with.

Alan Malmstrom
05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Wow nice image dougmsbbs! I have taken that and added a few details and find edge and blurs and came up with this. Now if lilskip wants a few details added like numbers or whatnot then I will add that and post the pnt.

dougmsbbs
05-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank you! We try.... :)

lilskip
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I appricate the image. Alan I was trying more for a 3d model to import in and cut in layers to make a f-18 on a stick so so speak kindo of like the f-22 pen holder porject in the pattern depot. I just wanted to make my own variation of the project with an f-18 on it without the airforce base. I have found several 3d models online but I don't have the software to load them up. Can't afford it yet haha. I guess I will wait until I can and play with it myself. Thanks again for the help guys.

Alan Malmstrom
05-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I should have looked at the link to the pen holder that you had on the original post and I would have noticed that you were looking for a model type double sided carve. Perhaps someone will convert them for you if you supply a link to the models you found online.

Alan

eelamb
05-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Maybe you can make this one work for you. Top and bottom need 1.25 thick wood.

gregsolano
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
David, If you carve it post some pics, I would love to see the finished project!

eelamb
05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
did some cleanup

lawrence
05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
ok, now those are just awesome

EELAMB, do you mind me asking what program you used to make this?

Lawrence

eelamb
05-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Lawrence, The model was found on the internet in 3DS format. There was problems with it as seen in the first I uploaded. Mostly too many vertexes not attached and and open area on the bottom. The second attempt I went into the model and closed the open areas, attached the canopy to the plane, and repaired the holes. Problem was in cutting the model since the wings slant down, and trying to get a good cut on the top including the whole wing. Plus anyone that carves it will have to do some hand work on the split back wings. CW will not do carving under those wings.

The software I used to edit it was Silo ($99.00), and meshlab (free)to make the STL file. There are all sorts of free 3d models on the internet.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Very Cool ... I might have to carve one of those to put in my demo stuff