PDA

View Full Version : Problem when using centerline text and graphics

ktjwilliams
05-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Whenever I load a carving that has a graphic and centerline text, the machine goes through it's normal routine... It ask for the centerline (usually 90 V) bit, then carving bit, and then the machine starts the carve as normal. After carving it asks for the centerline bit and starts it routine. After it does it's routine, it parks at the front of the machine and ask 1) refind or 2) cont.... I usually let it refind even though that usually fails and it parks again with the same 1) 2) options. If I select 2 and cont. sometimes it goes just fine, but other times it starts cutting but it's not touching or barely touching the work piece. So I stop the machine, pull the card, go on the computer and delete the graphic from the design and just upload the centerline portion.. Back to the machine and it works normal and does the centerline just fine... Anyone know what the heck is goin on ???

AskBud
05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Whenever I load a carving that has a graphic and centerline text, the machine goes through it's normal routine... It ask for the centerline (usually 90 V) bit, then carving bit, and then the machine starts the carve as normal. After carving it asks for the centerline bit and starts it routine. After it does it's routine, it parks at the front of the machine and ask 1) refind or 2) cont.... I usually let it refind even though that usually fails and it parks again with the same 1) 2) options. If I select 2 and cont. sometimes it goes just fine, but other times it starts cutting but it's not touching or barely touching the work piece. So I stop the machine, pull the card, go on the computer and delete the graphic from the design and just upload the centerline portion.. Back to the machine and it works normal and does the centerline just fine... Anyone know what the heck is goin on ???
First, what chuck do you have?
Second, is it possible to attach the MPC?
AskBud

ktjwilliams
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Bud,,, It happens all the time... It's not just one project.... Oh and I use the QC ...

AskBud
05-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Several things come to mind.
First, are you using a sled? If so, are the rails the same height as your wood? Does the raster carve mill off any of the wood, where you have placed the centerline? I would, still like to one of the failed MPCs.

Next, the measurement failure would suggest that the adapter was not placed properly in the QC each time or the bit is touching down on a milled area on the 2nd touch. Further, check your manual for the proper spacing of the 90 degree bit in the adapter, as it may gave slipped up into the adapter too much, and thus be too short.
AskBud

TerryT
05-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Is the centerline placed OVER the graphic or on a separate part of the board? Do you have the conforming vectors add-on?

ktjwilliams
05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
The centerline is on its own.. I use raster if letters go into a carved graphic.. Conform is on.... Bit is spaced OK... that's Y this is drivin me crazy... But just a little quirk that my machine has I guess... Just a little more carving time to go and delete the graphics ... Maybe it's in the truck and or rails it rides on .. ???
Thanks guyzzzz !!!

jaroot
05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I've had that problem from time to time but it has generally been a temperature issue. It will do exactly as you described and then after the room has warmed up it works as it should. Don't know if this is your problem but it's just something that I've experienced.

The centerline is on its own.. I use raster if letters go into a carved graphic.. Conform is on.... Bit is spaced OK... that's Y this is drivin me crazy... But just a little quirk that my machine has I guess... Just a little more carving time to go and delete the graphics ... Maybe it's in the truck and or rails it rides on .. ???
Thanks guyzzzz !!!

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
OK.... Time to think like the machine...

IF it gives you a re-find error then the machine is telling you that the second time you installed the V90 or what ever bit, that the bit check found that the bit length was DIFFERENT then the first time you loaded them.....

SO now how can this happen.....

1. Do you have 2 V90 bits in Bit Holders and just grab the OTHER one every time.... And it is a different length....

2. Your rails are DIRTY... Bearings are DIRTY.... The NO MANS LAND between the upper and lower Bearing is DIRTY.... You need to stuff a solvent soaked rag between the bearings and work it up and down...

a. Remember the bit checks being done at the Bit Plate are bobbing down until it touches the plate and the current in the Z motor increases... This can happen NORMAL with the bit Smashing into the bit plate.... OR it can happen as the V90 is SHORTER than the Carving or Cutting Bit that the head needs to bob down further... INTO DIRTY RAILS causing the current to increase and the BIT NEVER REALLY TOUCHING THE PLATE..... SO you need to always watch the bit touch the bit plate... EVERY BIT CHANGE.... It tells you the Health of the machine.... Touch 2 times Normal... Touch 3 times BIG RED FLAG.... Huston... YOU HAVE A PROBLEM....... Most likely Dirty Rails or a chunk of dust inside of the Cog belt or pully.... I have thought of putting a thin piece of plastic on the bit plate then a piece of brass and a wire, battery and a beeper... when the bit touches the brass insulated plate on the bit plate with the bit, it completes the 1.5 volt circuit and makes the beeper beep.... That way you know the bit actually touched the plate... I am surprised LHR did not have a production version of this that the Software checked to make sure the bit did touch the plate..... Like there was a magnetic speed sensor INSIDE the Early Z Trucks... Making sure the Flex was turning.....

b. NEXT... Open the Z Encoder.... BLOW OUT THE DUST...... Search and find posts with pictures of my Dusty Encoder... Busy and need to get back to work....

c. You could have a FFC Cable going bad......

Good Luck,

AL

ktjwilliams
05-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks folks for your time and ideas... Now I will start checking things out starting with the easiest working on up.... I'm think the dirty rails or the temp thing is a great place to start.. After the carve I'm gonna let the machine sit for a couple minutes before staring the centerline... I am also gonna clean the truck rails and go from there.. Again thx for all the ideas, and if you think of anything else,,, put it up,, I read all this stuff..

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
And blow out the encoder....

AL