PDA

View Full Version : New Toy!!!

dougmsbbs
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Finally bit the bullet and got me a new toy I've been wanting for the shop for a few years. A Laser. It's a Chinese 40 watt hobby one, but with upgrades by an American company, who also has some pretty neat software for it. I can print from ANY windows program and it gets cut or engraved. Just that easy.

Made by Full Spectrum Engineering. You even get to talk to an English speaking rep on the phone! Only had it for about 24 hours and I'm still getting the feel for it, but so far I'm in love! I can't wait to combine the CW and the laser in some projects. I think the two will compliment each other nicely.

I know it's nothing like a Epilog some others have, but it's a fraction of the cost, and for a hobby shop it's more than enough.

Photo is one of my first cuts.

Just had to share....

Smoken D
05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh, that looks like a keeper. Nice Job!

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Congratulations !!! You have more power than I do.... Good Luck with your new tool....

Remember never engrave or cut PVC as it makes a gas that kills you and corrodes bearings and metal.....

AL

Kenm810
05-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Cool Beans Doug, Totally Neat New Toy

Like AL says have fun ---but be carfull!

Polyvinylchloride (PVC)
Before flames are present, heated PVC can generate toxic and deadly fumes. In the early stages of a fire, heat causes the PVC molecules to begin to come apart generating hydrochloric acid (HCl), carbon monoxide, Deadly Phosgene Gas, benzene, toluene, xylenes, chlorinated biphenyls, PCDDs and PCDFs. The release of HCl on thermal degradation of PVC has been well documented in the scientific and medical literature. PVC, of all the synthetic plastic polymers, has been implicated as causing one of the most insidious, serious problems in fire fighting due to its release of HCl while burning. Once the decomposition temperature has been reached (above 225 degrees Celsius), hydrogen chloride is generated from the thermal decomposition of PVC. By the time actual combustion begins (around 475 degrees Celsius), PVC has lost over 60% of its weight in the generation of HCl and other chemicals. The toxic gases generated during this pre-combustion period are particularly dangerous as there is no flame to warn fire fighters and occupants.

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Looks like you will have fun with that!

dougmsbbs
05-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank you guys!

I knew PVC was bad, but I had no idea it was THAT bad. I'll be sure to stay away from it!

Took the wife out today to Lowes garden center, and I left her to the plants and snuck over and went department by department finding things to cut and engrave. So far it's been oak, pine and Birch in wood. Several ceramic tiles, and of course acrylic. Oh, glass, too. Better half says she's gonna keep an eye on me before I cut or burn everything in the house. She may have a point.... Right now I'm sizing up everything I can get my hands on to see if it'll fit in the machine. Did you know they use lasers to add graphics to blue jeans? I didn't, but now that I do know, well, wife says stay the heck out of her closet... She has to sleep some time, right?

Acrylic cuts so smooth the edges are perfect. 1/4" Birch plywood cuts fine enough I don't even need to sand them. The letters at the bottom in that photo below the birds is .06" tall and is perfectly readable. I have intentions to use the laser to add graphics to the sides of some of my mugs. I'll upload some photos as soon as I get that far.

For anyone who's curious, $2,400 got me one. Not cheap, but sure not in the range of Epilog and the other big boys. I see it not as a stand alone machine, but something to mix it up with the rest of the tools in the shop, including the CarveWright.

So for now, I'm heading to bed. Gotta get up early, and see if I can't scarve up some of those wooden spoons the better half has in the kitchen while she's still in bed. They'll look cool with a rooster design on them. What she gonna do, make me sand it back off? Hmmm... Come to think of it... I better ponder that plan a bit more....

fwharris
05-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Doug,

That does look like a good little machine with a good intro price. KEEP YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER CLOSE!

dougmsbbs
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Couple of more tests shots, two on wood and one on ceramic tile. And the fire extinguisher was purchased before the machine was even delivered, and now sits right beside it. :) So many things to burn and carve, so little time....

gregsolano
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I am not sure what you are using to cut the thin plywood and I can give you more tips depending on what you are using to cut it (circular saw, table saw, or jig saw) but if you score your cuts with a utility knife first you can greatly reduce tear out especially if you stay on the scored line when cutting. Using masking tape also helps. If you are using a clamped straight edge or a fence then you can adjust blade to just score the surface then re cut a second time to finish the cut. Just some un asked for tips because I noticed the tear out. The pics are great especially the little girl. Good job, wish I could afford a machine like yours. Took me a while to save up and buy a used CW.

jaustin
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
looks real good.
could you post a link to the laser you bought?
have a few Ideas fr down the road.

what software do you use using a laser?

dougmsbbs
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the tips! I do get a lot of tear out, but those are really just test's to nail down the settings, power and speed and so on. I really wasn't planning to keep them, but the wife says WE ARE KEEPING THEM! Hands on hips type of declaration, no less. Gotta do what the boss wants or no more toys. <sigh>

That little girl is my Grand Daughter. She's a real sweetie , with the kind of blue eyes that will kill the boys in a few more years. Got an extra brownie point just for doing that one! Now, if I wasn't so dang many in the hole...

Just pulled a deer scene out of the laser when one of my sons came home with a friend. He wants the very same thing done on his shot gun stock. Don't know that I'm ready for that yet. Maybe in a month or two.

lawrence
05-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Congrats and AWESOME!!

I wonder how tough it would be for them to make a laser kit for the CW? Are the mechanics totally different?

Lawrence

dougmsbbs
05-05-2011, 07:25 PM
It could be done. I had actually considered it, but decided to just buy one. It would take some control code programming on LHR's part to really make it work right. Other than the differences between a gantry system and the belt system on the CW, don't see why they couldn't do it, though. Not sure where they'd put the laser tube, though. No way would it fit inside the CW.

gregsolano
05-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I have a granddaughter thats a real cutie and a big ham as well. I have been planning to do a litho of her but keep putting it off. Once again great job and have fun framing that granddaughter one!

lawrence
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
It could be done. I had actually considered it, but decided to just buy one. It would take some control code programming on LHR's part to really make it work right. Other than the differences between a gantry system and the belt system on the CW, don't see why they couldn't do it, though. Not sure where they'd put the laser tube, though. No way would it fit inside the CW.

Well LHR, here's a chance to get HUGE hunks o'cash from current CW owners. :)
Lawrence