PDA

View Full Version : Liquid wrench

JDPratt
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I have always used Liquid Wrench chain lube (with moly) in the past for the flex shaft. Lately I have been unable to find liquid wrench with the little moly label on the can. does anyone know if it is still in there or do I need to swith to a different product. I just ran out of the old stuff and it's time to relube those shafts.

John

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 01:35 PM
They just changed the can design and label. The black can with yellow cap that says Chain lube is the same thing. If you read the contents it says Organic Molybdenum.

TerryT
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
They just changed the can design and label. The black can with yellow cap that says Chain lube is the same thing. If you read the contents it says Organic Molybdenum.

It has been reformulated. It is clear now the old stuff was black. I'm not sure what "organic moly" is but it still seems to work well.

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 02:05 PM
It has been reformulated. It is clear now the old stuff was black. I'm not sure what "organic moly" is but it still seems to work well.

about 80 miles from my home is a molybdenum mine so I thought it all was organic. LOL I guess there could be a synthetic now a days.

JDPratt
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I should read the can better when I'm in the store next. Call it being lazy. I was expecting to have the "with Moly" glaring at me on the label. Serves me right for wasting the gas driving around to three different stores that had it, but I didn't read the label.

John

lawrence
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Don't feel bad- I need to apologize to my buddy at the Ace Hardware as I KNOW he's been looking for the "with moly" can for me when all along they have cans with the yellow top sitting on the shelf. It looks like a 6-pack will be headed his way.

Lawrence

kool69sporty
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I've been using the Penray brand of Chain Lube. It still has the black moly and a "tackiness agent". Whatever the agent is, I find it stays on real good. P/N: 7006, www.penray.com (http://www.penray.com), made in USA.
Regards, Joe

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I've been using the Penray brand of Chain Lube. It still has the black moly and a "tackiness agent". Whatever the agent is, I find it stays on real good. P/N: 7006, www.penray.com (http://www.penray.com), made in USA.
Regards, Joe

Interesting ingredients especially the synthetic stuff. Where do you buy it? or do you buy it online.

Alan Malmstrom
05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I got Lithium greas for guide posts, and liquid wrench chain lube with moly for the flexshaft but the machine video also suggests using a multi purpose oil for the chuck. Does the new chuck that comes with the carvetight spindle need to be cleaned and kept up with a multi purpose oil like the old quick change used to? And is WD40 spray considered to be a multipurpose oil? If not what is a good multi purpose oil to use?

Alan

bergerud
05-04-2011, 10:08 PM
WD-40 is not oil. WD means Water Displacement . It is a solvent which protects from moisture. People think it is a penitrating oil but it is not. It dissolves oils and greases which are present and it just seems like lubrication. Careful with that stuff, it washes the lube away.

Molybdenum is an element. Inorganic. Elements cannot be synthesized. Whats with all of that? What does "with moly" really mean? Are there microscopic molybdenum balls?

bergerud
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
The lubricant is molybdenum disulphide (Googled it) and it occurs naturally and can be mined (hence the term organic). Apparently it plates onto the metal. There is a lot of info about it if you go look.

(http://ebookee.org/Molybdenum-Disulphide-Lubrication_1009199.html)

easybuilt
05-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Interesting ingredients especially the synthetic stuff. Where do you buy it? or do you buy it online.

It is from Penray,
Chain Lube 7006
Contains high concentration of Moly Sulfide, synthetic sperm oil and tackiness agent. Provides the ultimate in lubricating qualities, along with a special property that prohibits the product from “flying off” under high velocity applications. Designed for use in many chain drive applications.