PDA

View Full Version : Strip LED- is there a "LEDs for Dummies" post somewhere?

lawrence
05-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I tried searching (I even used quotes!) but I can't find it...

I've ordered some strip LEDs from EBAY but honestly have NO CLUE how to hook them up... can someone use small words and hand gestures to keep me from frying what hair I have left off?

I have the tools, motivation, and bravery (but not the experience) to solder

Any advice is truly appreciated.

Lawrence

Sallen1215
05-03-2011, 11:03 PM
You will need a soldering gun, some experience with solder, a trip to radio shack for a dc plug male and female, then you will need a 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc adapter transformer. its not difficult you might try a search on google. or you can set it up with a 12 volt battery supply also found at radio shack. Make sure lights are in multiples of 3 for the strip to work. DC voltage is easy its just a positive and negative just like a car. hard to go wrong if you just map it out on paper first,

Apply heat to wire and pad, then using solder with flux let it flow onto the pad/wire and presto your done. You tube has soldering tip videos.

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Did you order the REEL LED's where you can cut them every 3 and just hook up 12 volt DC to them....

Not my Artwork but pretty Cool.....

AL

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Al, were those clear carvings done with the CW? Would this be with cast acrylic? I still have not done a litho but I am planning to do one soon, but i would definetly want to try to do the clear carvings with LED's if its possible.

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I snagged them on Sawmill Creek on the Engraving Forum I believe. There has been a healthy LED discussion going on form time to time... I believe they were reverse Laser Engraved and also Laser Cut to shape... My lasers are old and low power so I cannot do any cutting.

The LED's I bought in White, Red, Green and Blue... A Roll of each....

You might also consider making a project like this using Solar LED's.... Put the Charger outside and at dusk your Art lights up..... eBay also....

Solar LED Christmas Tree Lights... I have found that you can cut off the un used LED's leaving say a dozen and mount them in a wood base facing up. Insert your Acrylic and your all set....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
And a few more pictures to get the creative juices flowing....

Both signs are PVC Board covered with Blue Reflective Vinyl then transfer tape to protect the vinyl while cutting...... Don't need it..

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
A inside shot of the solar charger... It is either charging or the lights are on......

AL

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Every day I look in this forum I see something new and cool! Great address signs!

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I did put them on hold as the 2 AA batteries did not take on much of a charge in the winter and the ON time was less than an hour depending on how much sun we got.... I did find that the charger would charge a set of D Batteries and last longer.

I picked up some Fiber Optic Cable in the thickest. I was going to replace the LED's with a fiber tip and use a group of LED's say about 3 to light the end of the fiber optic.... For Pin point light within the font..... That is still in the works....

AL

lawrence
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Great ideas all- thanks

I may have to do some more searching on the 'net, but this is certainly a start
Lawrence