PDA

View Full Version : Sharing STL Files

bergerud
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Why is the .stl file extension not a valid file extension for attachments. (Do we have to hide them in a zip file?) I think I asked this question shortly after the STL Importer came out. Why has .stl still not been added to the list?

atauer
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I believe that the issue may be related to file size. I am not sure of the limits of the forum as far as file size, but I am sure that if enough large STL files were uploaded here, it would take forever for some of the pages to load properly, especially if someone was using a dial-up or non-high speed internet connection.

Some of the STL files that I currently have in my possession are 10 megs and up. In fact, one folder on my pc is about 4 gigs, and contains nothing but STL files. If everyone uploaded large files to the forum, there would definitely be problems...

lynnfrwd
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I did some asking:

STL files can get rather large. Too many of them would eventually slow down our forum. There are several free file hosting or sharing sites where you can post these (or most any) large files and then provide a link to that file on our lil' ol' forum.

I would guess zipping them would work too.

bergerud
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I understand the large file size problem. Smaller ones, however, could still be shared. If the limiting size was say 2MB, we could share quite a few stl's. It would not slow anything down, they are not pictures being loaded. More storage space it all that is required. I think it would be a worth while investment simply to sell more STL Importers. If users see neat 3D stuff being shared, they are going to want it.