PDA

View Full Version : Bit not touching plate

Celticwood
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
When homing, the bit doesn't go down and touch the plate before returning back to the left side. I had this problem once before, but a good cleaning seemed to remedy the situation. This time it does not.

SteveEJ
05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Is the bit not going down or is the striker plate not extending? If it is the striker plate and it is clean and moves freely (spring loaded), then check for something that might be blocking the Y Truck as it is moving over to the plate. Wires at the top might be in the way.

Hope this helps,

AskBud
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Check out this thread on a bit plate problem.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17323-Bit-Plate&p=146135#post146135

Celticwood
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. What happens is that the bit travels all the way to obove the plate, the plate comes out, but the bit just goes down about an inch, then kicks back up, not reaching the plate.

Jerry

SteveEJ
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Z Truck travel.. When the power is off will the truck move freely up and down all the way?

AskBud
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. What happens is that the bit travels all the way to obove the plate, the plate comes out, but the bit just goes down about an inch, then kicks back up, not reaching the plate.

Jerry
If the bit is truely above the plate, it would sound as if there is a chip of wood or Corian that has gotten stuck on the Z-belt, or the bearings and rails in that up and down movement are dirty or out of place. It's the pressure, of the dirt, that is probably hindering the movement.
With no bit in place, and the machine off, move the truck to the center of the unit and see how much vertical movement it freely gives (feel the tension along that movement).

Other things to look for are the Flex touching the lid. Others may have other items.
AskBud

PS: Try a different bit as this one may be installed too short.

TerryT
05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Also, I have found that this helps in most of the stranger problems. Turn off the machine AND unplug it. It won't reset unless it is unplugged also. Reformat the card and try again.

Celticwood
05-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I've blown out the machine and soo no chips anywhere. The bit goes down all the way on the right side of the machine, before traveling to the left. When moving to the center, it seems to move fairly freely. I also unplugged the machine and put a new card in it. I didn't know how to reformat card. No success with any of this. How do you know if the bearing and rails are out of place?

Jerry

bergerud
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
You have to format the card back at your computer. In designer under File Flash Manager...

AskBud
05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I've blown out the machine and soo no chips anywhere. The bit goes down all the way on the right side of the machine, before traveling to the left. When moving to the center, it seems to move fairly freely. I also unplugged the machine and put a new card in it. I didn't know how to reformat card. No success with any of this. How do you know if the bearing and rails are out of place?

Jerry
You would have felt if the pressure changed.
Now, the process would be to take the truck to the far end and see how it moves and feels there. If there is any resistance or catch on the way pown you've found your problem.

The card is reprogrammed while you're in Designer.
You click on FILE > FLASH MANAGER > FORMAT > ERASE and FORMAT.
After that you would re-load your MPC.
The above steps erase all files from your card (just so you know)!
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
05-02-2011, 08:53 PM
WOW some really great suggestions.... Ask Bud you hit every nail right on the head....

So it still does it but only at the bit plate... It goes down normal on the left but on on the the Right at the Bit Flag....... No GO....

So what the Machine is seeing when it is at the bit plate, Normally it is moving the head down to bit flag and crashing into it.... Well.... It slowly touches the bit plate all the time monitoring the current in the Z Motor Circuit and as soon as it detects a increase in current it knows it has touched the bit plate and reverses direction.

So what is happening is the computer is seeing the Increase in Current BEFORE actually touching the bit plate..... Causing a Fault or a AIR CARVE.....

So we can rule out a bad FFC Cable causing this..... A Stall more likely with a bad FFC Cable....

Then I see posted that the Bearings and Rails are clean.... Be sure to check the No Mans area Between the bearings.... A area only reached with a solvent rag pushed into the space between the upper and lower bearing.... I call that No Man's Land.... Check that.....

Next on the Check list is the Flex Shaft.... Watch it like a Hawk as the Bit Flag Thing is going on.... I have had the little Ball Bearing wear a notch in my Flex between the round slot and the TIP.... Letting the Flex BEND TOWARD THE CUT MOTOR.... The Flex can RUB on the SLOT from the top cover and cause a increase in current and a AIR CARVE of fault..... To fix my Flex, I turned the Top Hat around 180 degrees and had the BB in the back until I replaced the Flex.... The Top Hat is what the Flex plugs into on top of the Z Truck....

Next if that did not fix it on the Check List is to mark the lower left bearing with a black marker... The one facing the keypad. This one gets a lot of Splatter from the Cutting Bit and I have had one FREEZE UP with sawdust in it.... It is when the Head is at the Bit Plate that the top of head it TORQUED toward the keypad by the FLEX and the lower Left Bearing IF FROZEN Cannot Slip as it does at the Keypad side..... YEP... Had this too..... The Advantage of 1000 hour machines.... Been there done that...... Let us know....

SO.... Is everyone changing there Cut Motor Brushes at 250 Hours and Y Gear Box Bearings at 450 Cut Motor Hours??? Just another Public Service Reminder from your Friend at the Pocono Digital Woodshop..... Opening that Cut Motor and blowing out the sawdust is a good thing as Martha would say.....

AL

Celticwood
05-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Al, as usual you are a big help. Let me begin by sayiing that this machine is one Carvewrite replaced for me. It has only 8 hours and 16 minutes on it. So I think we could rule out any excessive wear on parts. But when you said to mark the lower left bearing, I couldn't find one. Believe it or not, its GONE. I can't find it anywhere, so it must have dropped below the sandpaper conveyors. I'm going to take them off and see if I can find it. Be back with you later.

Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
There is a pocket on each side that goes deep.... I have had stuff drop there and I have had stuff drop into the slot and lay under the sand paper belts... When you start moving it, un plug it just in case the metal gets into the power supply area under the machine or the X Termination Board.... Remove the bottom too...

No bearing.... Wow....

AL

Celticwood
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Celticwood
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I found the bearing. Can't believe it, the heaqd of the screw that holds it was sheared off. This machine has 8 hours and 16 minutes on it, but the time for waranty is up. I have not used it for anything heavy. I mean, I have just done really light work, all of it in centerline work. I can't beliieve the screw sheared off. What would you do????
Jerry

quarrydesigns
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I feel for you the first 5 hrs I had my machine were one error after another, finally replaced the z truck/spindle and it has run flawlesly ever since. You should be able to just replace the bearing and get it back up and running..

Notice your from Berea.. I'm about an hour west of Bowling Green near Clarksville TN..

Daniel Smith
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com (http://www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com)

Celticwood
05-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Good to hear from a fellow Kentuckian. I've had a machine for close to two years. They had never resolved the problem I was having with the "check cut motor" problem, and finally gave me a rebuilt machine. It had the same problem. I kind of lost interest out of frustration, but have recently been using it and ignoring the cut motor problem. I could loose interest again without any problem.

Jerry

fwharris
05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
You can get a replacement screw from any local hardware store. I get they over tightened it during assembly and broke it.. Loctite was probably holding it together until the vibration loosened it up..

Your check cut motor message is a common one. Just make sure that the magnet retainer is still good...

Celticwood
05-04-2011, 04:29 PM
The screw was broken off in the bearing, and no way to get it out. I just ordered a new bearing for $20.00 including shipping. How do I check the magnet retainer? Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
To check the magnet use options and sensor data and then cut motor. It will have 0000 in the LCD then if you turn the Chuck a complete revolution it will count 0001 then 0002...... That way you know it is working... The Check Cut motor 30 seconds into the first bit carving or cutting is a known fault. Just hit enter and off you go.... I even have it...

As for the screw... It's metric... Held with locktite... So heat will need to be applied... But not enough to burn the bearing shields.....

Here is a picture of the inside of the bearing as I had one come loose and needed to take off the Z Truck to tighten it.... Tried to hold the slotted nut and tighten the screw but ripped the bearing cover off......

Good Luck,

AL

Celticwood
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Magnet OK. On the cut motor, isn't it true that after you hit ENTER, the motor runs at full speed from then on? Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, if you get a Check Cut Motor without a magnet working like the magnet missing or unplugged sensor then YES the Cut Motor will then run at full speed. BUT... With a Working Sensor and you get the Check Cut Motor in the first 30 seconds then hit enter.... The Motor will change speeds based on the cut... At least that is my Belief....

AL

Celticwood
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I seldom get the message within 30 seconds. Its usually a few minutes. That's what is so frustrating. I have to stand around and wait to get the message, and then it goes off at full speed.

Jerry

Celticwood
05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I got my new bearing and have printed the 15 pages of instructions on how to replace it. This is no minor job, and I don't want to do it any more than once. The question that keeps haunting me is why the head of the screw broke off in the first place?? If there is something wrong that has not been connected, then its going to happen again. Any ideas on this? Jerry