PDA

View Full Version : Miss Curvewright 2.0

bergerud
04-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Here is my Miss Curvewright second try. The first two pictures show the sled and a carve out of Holley. The last three pictures are a finished version out of Dogwood. I also have one carved of rosewood but it is not finished. Note the bleached blond hair. I brushed her upper body and fingers with clear lacquer leaving her hair bare. Then I submerged her head in laundry bleach for an hour or so. Then I washed off the lacquer with thinner to get back to bare wood. Later I hand painted and sprayed lacquer. I am going to also make a man so I cannot be accused of being sexist. I have an experimental version which of her 18 inches tall, made in three layers with the STL importer. Still some bugs to work out there. I was thinking of making a bar lamp (you know what I mean.) I would be embarrassed to say how many (enjoyable) hours I have worked on this. I have been saving this in case I ever become a vender. I do not know, maybe it is too riskay. What do you think? Maybe a man and a woman would be ok.
I am not ready to share her, but, if someone wanted to carve her and take her to the up coming conference (with LHR’s permission), I would lend her out for that. I do not know if LHR would want to add her to the displays or not. I suppose, one could dress her in Barbi clothes. Anyway, here she is with more clothes than I wanted to put on her. (It was not easy making that bikini!)

gregsolano
04-30-2011, 03:22 PM
You need to sell this pattern! I would take you up on taking it to the conference since I am going but I am pretty booked up next week with work so I can take the following week off for conference so I am not sure I could finish this. I would be willing to buy this pattern when you are ready to sell it. Even willing to just buy it directly from you with a check or paypal, pm me if you are interested. You did a great job on this.

fwharris
04-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Great job!!! Now those are LEGS!! I, we, us can tell you have enjoyed working on Ms. CW 2!!! Great job on your painting to.......

SteveEJ
04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Sweet! She has legs all the way to her neck!

Kenm810
04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
WooF!! -- Really Sweet lookin Gams, Nice job!

henry1
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Here is my Miss Curvewright second try. The first two pictures show the sled and a carve out of Holley. The last three pictures are a finished version out of Dogwood. I also have one carved of rosewood but it is not finished. Note the bleached blond hair. I brushed her upper body and fingers with clear lacquer leaving her hair bare. Then I submerged her head in laundry bleach for an hour or so. Then I washed off the lacquer with thinner to get back to bare wood. Later I hand painted and sprayed lacquer. I am going to also make a man so I cannot be accused of being sexist. I have an experimental version which of her 18 inches tall, made in three layers with the STL importer. Still some bugs to work out there. I was thinking of making a bar lamp (you know what I mean.) I would be embarrassed to say how many (enjoyable) hours I have worked on this. I have been saving this in case I ever become a vender. I do not know, maybe it is too riskay. What do you think? Maybe a man and a woman would be ok.
I am not ready to share her, but, if someone wanted to carve her and take her to the up coming conference (with LHR’s permission), I would lend her out for that. I do not know if LHR would want to add her to the displays or not. I suppose, one could dress her in Barbi clothes. Anyway, here she is with more clothes than I wanted to put on her. (It was not easy making that bikini!)
And were did you get those pattern may I ask ,,now that is nice

henry1
04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
You need to sell this pattern! I would take you up on taking it to the conference since I am going but I am pretty booked up next week with work so I can take the following week off for conference so I am not sure I could finish this. I would be willing to buy this pattern when you are ready to sell it. Even willing to just buy it directly from you with a check or paypal, pm me if you are interested. You did a great job on this.
I am also willing to buy this PM me thx

bergerud
04-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I initially made her in a program called Daz Studio. This is a program where you can make 3D people and pose them. (Very similar to Poser) Then I export as a Wavefront Object (.obj). Import that into 3ds Max. (where one can edit and weld the 3D mesh and add things like the bikini, foot pegs, reference points and, what I call a carving ribbon. The carving ribbon wiggles around, perpendicular to the surface and is the boundary between the front carve and the rear carve.) Then either I render from both sides to gray scale and save as a .png to import into designer or I can export the whole thing as an .stl. Like I say, the time I spent on this is embarrassing. I learned, however, a lot about these programs. That was part of the point of doing it. The other point was to see just what I could get the Carvewright to do.

She is a great shape to experiment with. After I got the STL importer, I started experimenting with carving her in three layers. (Actually I started this in 3ds max before the importer came out but the importer made it much easier.) It is itself a very interesting project. The middle board gets carved on the backside. Then the back board is glued on (only where she is). The middle board is the carved on the front side. Then the front board is glued on (only where she is) and the whole sandwich is then double carved leaving her totally carved. The block falls apart and she falls out. How cool is that? I will post on this one day.

Fletcher
04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Awesome! Really great work!

gregsolano
04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
This project is way deserving of a video. You need to video the next one you make.

Sallen1215
04-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Just how small of a paintbrush do you need to paint in that string on the backside:cool: ha ha ha ha, love the project and would be glad to buy the pattern.

PM me

Smoken D
05-01-2011, 08:27 AM
WOW! I know it just don't sound proper, but the details are stunning. Am I banned from the forum now??
Fantastic Job!

cnsranch
05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Ken - you DOM - I just spit coffee all over my new laptop.

b.sumner47
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Does she not use Nair, or Not ? Capt Barry

cnsranch
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
All kidding aside - that is really nice work.

It came out of the machine better (in terms of needing sanding, fuzzies, etc.) than any I've seen.

And your paint work is first class - I'm shaky enough when I paint letters - but I can see why you'd want to take your time on this one.

bergerud
05-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I cleaned her up a bit. That is not straight out of the machine. (I have, however, had results as good by over carving with a diamond burr. The first pass with the carving bit 1/64 too high and then a second pass with a 1/32 dia. burr. This is especially good on those really hard to sand patterns.)

gregsolano
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I cleaned her up a bit. That is not straight out of the machine. (I have, however, had results as good by over carving with a diamond burr. The first pass with the carving bit 1/64 too high and then a second pass with a 1/32 dia. burr. This is especially good on those really hard to sand patterns.)
Are you saying you put a 1/32 diamond burr in the cw and run the project again? Or do you use a dremel or some other tool?

bergerud
05-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Yes, I run the project again with a 1/32 diamond burr in the machine. I use a shim under the carving bit touch down to fool the machine into carving slightly higher on the first carve. Then I put in the diamond burr and re-carve. It is important not to remove the the board so that the second carve proceeds accurately without remeasuring the board. This puts more hours on the machine, but hey, they are easy hours and it sands a lot faster and better the I could.

gregsolano
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
That should be on the tips and tricks. Where did you get the diamond burr bit, I would like to get identical. How thick is the shim you use?

bergerud
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Here are the ones I am using. They may be higher quality than is needed. (The ball is what is important.) I do not know what the grit is, they do not say. (For a shim, I just use a box cutter blade.)

http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=40&idproduct=147

liquidguitars
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Then I put in the diamond burr and re-carve.

Nice work!!

gregsolano
05-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Here are the ones I am using. They may be higher quality than is needed. (The ball is what is important.) I do not know what the grit is, they do not say. (For a shim, I just use a box cutter blade.)

http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=40&idproduct=147

Sorry for all the questions but what chuck do you have? I have the Carve Tight and I have the adaptor for the regular router bit set, would this diamond burr bit fit in it? I am thinking you have the Rock.

bergerud
05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I have had my own chucks. I had an air die grinder chuck and now I have an ER11 chuck. I do not know how you could hold a 3/32 shank with the CT. Can you even hold a 1/8 shank? You may be out of luck.

gregsolano
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
yes, another great advantage to your er11 chuck.

lawrence
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
awesome work... very impressive even though I am partial to brunettes ;)

Lawrence

bergerud
05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
How about rosewood? Not finished yet. I lost interest, I like blonds.

lawrence
05-02-2011, 11:32 PM
How about rosewood? Not finished yet. I lost interest, I like blonds.

That'll do....
Lawrence

liquidguitars
05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
‎1950s-era Hollywood actress found lying on the floor in her home by a neighbor, one year after she died.

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201142//425.yvette.cm.5211.jpg

dvel56
05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you have an adapter sleeve for the 3/32 shaft? how do you hold it in the CW?

Also how do you rerun the carving without remeasuring the board ? I have not discovered that option
Could one use this tip/trick to achieve finer detail on carvings by inserting 1/32 engraving bit?

Should have Micheal write this into a Tips n Trick newsletter

Thanks
Dvel56

gregsolano
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
‎1950s-era Hollywood actress found lying on the floor in her home by a neighbor, one year after she died.

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201142//425.yvette.cm.5211.jpg

I think Mrs Curvewright 2.0 is the ghost of that actress. Maybe she came to bergerud in his dreams!

bergerud
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I have been using collets. Before with an air die grinder chuck and now with an ER11 chuck. I can hold any size from 1/32 to 1/4. Once the Carvewright measures the board, it remembers the size until the board is released. Try it. The next carve you do, instead of releasing the board after the carve, start the same project again. You can abort after you see that it does not remeasure the board.

Shacky
05-07-2011, 10:37 PM
That's amazing. Your wood grain is even working for ya.

ibewiggin
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I want that pattern for a guitar! That would definately grab some interest.