PDA

View Full Version : DESIGN HELP

adriano
01-12-2007, 06:27 AM
I finally have my machine up and running, since it came form Sear's I did have to upgrade the firmware etc... that was mentioned in the forums... Thanks!

My problem, my wife collects marble eggs and would like me to make somehting to hold them. I thought of using the CW to cut these holders. My thought was to make a circle the size of the bottom of an egg and make the object gradually deeper from the outer edge to the middle of the circle likea cup. I can't seem find how to do that. Can someone help?

Thanks, Mike

BobHill
01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Mike,

Have you considered purchasing a 3D probe yet? You can make a cardboard half box for it then as long as the total height using a sled is less than 5" high, you can let the probe make the proper carving pattern for your carving. That's the way I'd do it. Far easier than trying to establish the right shades of grey to make the proper egge curve. Make one, you've got them all.

If the cardboard holder isn't practical, you might bury the "egg" in a clay holder and set the probe to work just the egg, using the clay to hold and act as the base on the sled.

Bob

adriano
01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Bob,

Yes, I've considered purchasing the probe but just can't at this time, wish I could!

Trying to figure out how to accomplish this task and making the "egg holder" about 1/2inch deep, shouldn't be too many grayscale changes. I've been looking on the internet for a circle that has a gadual grayscale change or a dome but haven't been too sucessful yet.

Thanks,
Mike

BobHill
01-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Mike,

Perhaps someone near you who might have a CarveWright and the probe migh be interested in doing a probe scan of one of your wife's eggs for you. I wouldn't advise sending the egg, but perhaps if it's close enough, a day trip wouldn't be out of the question. At least if you can't get the right curve with your grey gradient designs.

Bob

Jon Jantz
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Do you have CorelDraw on your computer? It's a fairly easy task with it, and you can then import the gradient into Designer...

Lots easier to me than trying to do one from scratch in Designer. If I have a little time here today, I'll do up a sample and post it for you...

BobHill
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Jon,

But is the shape of the egg evenly shaped for a natural gradient?

Bob

Jon Jantz
01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Bob, I would probably use the 'Contour' feature of CorelDraw. You could do it in several different steps, and in that function, you can set the 'Accelleration' of the contours in order to get the 'rounded' effect. I'm sure it would take some trial and error, but I'm pretty sure you could get it close.

I'll try to post an example later, if I have time.

Just an option if he can't get his hands on a probe scanner...

adriano
01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Jon,

I do not have CorelDraw on my computer, might be my next investment. I'm not worried about following the exact shape of the egg, it's just a straight forward holder, I'm gueing a 1/2" deep should do the trick.

Thanks,
Mike

BobHill
01-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Your description sounds like an inverted DOME to the diameter of the bottom of the egg would then work, Mike.

But I'd still like to see your Contour image, Jon. I tried a simple one, but it didn't appear to be that good for a holder. I've thought of the gradient Mesh also at times, but havent' had the time for that experiment yet.

Bob

adriano
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Bob,

That's correct, that was exactly what I was thinking, an inverted dome... now I just need to figure out how to do it.

Mike

Durtdawber
01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
How about taking a picture of one of the items then play with it in a graphic package. Just invert it and you might have it.

BobHill
01-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Mike, Since you don't need a very deep inverted dome, just make a small circle with your vector circle tool, then make an inverted dome "Surface" and do a test cut to see how that works. The dome isn't perfectly round, but has a small dimple in the center whether positively or negatively carved.

Bob

Jon Jantz
01-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I have no idea what an egg holder would look like, so this is my 5 min version of one. It needs some work, like thickening up around the egg support, and fixing the little connected place on the side... but this was the first draft and I just wanted to post it to see if this is headed in the right direction...

adriano
01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Jon,

Yes, you are in the right direction, what I am trying to do is what you have in the center, basically an inverted dome that the bottom of the marble egg will sit in and stand up. So, if you can produce just the center part of this design that would be great!

Appreciate all the help and assistance!
Mike