Finally got-ur-done!

fwharris
04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Roger,

Great job! Like the cut slab look!!

lynnfrwd
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I like it!!!!!!!

Did you describe your technique anywhere?

Connie

mtylerfl
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Finally got-ur-done!

Very nice! If that doesn't catch some interest from prospective customers, I don't know what will! Excellent job.

tierman
04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Connie,
Thanks.Technique?OK -Here goes.The slab is 5/4 "sausage cut" Butternut. Mounted to a sled for carving. It is carved on 2 side so had to work off of center points because the carve area is different from side to side because of the sausage cut.[you have to know that us Wisconsin folk like our sausage and brats]A very easy carve, all with the 1/16"carving bit.The corbels were accomplished thanks to the fantastic "Tips and Tricks" from Micheal Tyler -Feb.2008.I did just the carving on the machine and use a bandsaw to cut them out and then sand the edges.[saves wear and tear on the head] Sprayed the corbel all black,sanded the raised edge to expose the true wood,highlighted the scrollwork with a gold paintstick.Thank you Doug Haffner for that tip.
OK I'm done now it only took me 45 min to tpye this ! Hunt'n peck-------hunt'n peck

JDPratt
04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Really cool. That should increase business right away. Does the sign pivot on the two rods?

Kenm810
04-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Great Looking Project!
Excellent Layout!

Ps. Hunt'n peck-------Hunt'n peck --- lol --- There's a lot of us two finger typing wonders out here

tierman
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks Floyd,Michael[sorry for misspelling your name previously], JD,
No the sign does not pivot.At least it isn't supposed to. Not a bad idea though! Maybe a solar powered rotational motor.
Oh GREAT! Maybe on the next better and improved edition.

Floyd, we have quite a bit of Butternut in our area and it carves nice with minimal clean up.

quarrydesigns
04-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Very nice.....

rcdages
04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Wonderfull workmanship on the sign.

gregsolano
04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
It is really eye catching and unique! Congrats on a great job.

DocWheeler
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
That is a really nice sign, something to be proud of indeed!

SharonB
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Like all of those ahead of me..."Great Job." The sign is definitely an eye catcher.

Alan Malmstrom
04-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes, Really nice looking sign. I am thinking about doing a sign for a friend and wonder about what kind of products are available as a clear finish to show the wood grain for an outdoor sign. I see that this sign has the grain showing and looks really nice.

Alan

tierman
04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Yes, Really nice looking sign. I am thinking about doing a sign for a friend and wonder about what kind of products are available as a clear finish to show the wood grain for an outdoor sign. I see that this sign has the grain showing and looks really nice.

Alan

Alan, I gave it 3 coats of Varathane Exterior Spar Urethane. I am also interested in seeing how it holds up in the northern Wisconsin weather.The urethane is oil based and did tend to "yellow" the grain somewhat but I thought it gave the wood more character. I would prefer to use water based clear but I think the oil based make the wood "pop" a little better.