PDA

View Full Version : Electrification Station - Project of the Month MAY 2011

mtylerfl
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for MAY 2011), called the Electrification Station. Hide the clutter and make a home for your cell phone, ear piece and camera charging wires with the Electrification Station! This rather unique design was inspired by “Victorian Science Fiction” better known as “Steam Punk”. I imagine this is similar to what the author Jules Verne may have had in his office if rechargeable devices were as commonplace back then as they are today!

The project features dado construction and is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required. The finished dimensions of the assembled project are approximately 15½" W x 10½" D x 11" H

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• ES_Bottom_Tray_parts.mpc
• ES_Plaque.mpc
• ES_Sides.mpc
• ES_Top_Tray.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Bottom Tray mpc: .75" x 9" x 22"
Plaque mpc: .75" x 7.25" x 19"
Sides mpc: .75" x 11" x 30"
Top Tray mpc: .75" x 9" x 22"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Twenty-eight ¼ " button dowel plugs, four 2½ "long ¼ " diameter dowels

4) Sandpaper, wood chisel, wood glue, quick-set epoxy and/or CA (super glue), clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish, gold Rub-n-Buff or gold paint marker

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of stains, paints and clearcoats.

Here’s what I used on my Electrification Station made from Select Pine:

• Minwax English Chestnut stain #233
• 3 coats of Rustoleum Ultra Cover Clear gloss (spray)
• 2 coats water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane Satin (brushed)
• Gold Leaf #76361A Rub-N-Buff to accent select details and apply to the wooden dowels. (You could use a Krylon Gold Leaf Paint Marker instead.)

liquidguitars
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Thats cool! almost looks like a baby piano 2..

gregsolano
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Really creative and nice design. Kudos.

Oldtrainerguy
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Another "outstanding" project Michael.
Cant wait to build it

b.sumner47
04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Looks like a real good one, Michael. Thanks, Capt Barry

chebytrk
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Think we'll see this today or tomorrow? Can hardly wait..........

toymad
05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
When will this be available for purchase.

Capt Bruce
05-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Looks like another Outstanding POM Michael. Curiously I just finished the Rose Tray yesterday, so you're timing these just right Sir. Again, great design.

lynnfrwd
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry about the delay. I will get it tomorrow morning....promise!

mtylerfl
05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you, everyone!

toymad
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I want to get the The CarveWright Project of the Month Subscription Newsletter, I want it to start with the Electrification Station. When I go to sighnup and pay, it is still showing the project for April.

chebytrk
05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Thank you, everyone!

Hey Mike can you tell us what type font that was you used with POM with the words "Electrification Station"? They look neat and I'd like to use those elsewhere if possible.

Thanks, JerryB

mtylerfl
05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey Mike can you tell us what type font that was you used with POM with the words "Electrification Station"? They look neat and I'd like to use those elsewhere if possible.

Thanks, JerryB

Hi Jerry,

I used the font "Algerian"...but, I converted it to curves, then node edited it afterwards to remove the font's built-in "shadow" and did a little customizing by hand. (You'll see what I mean by "shadow" when you see the font.)

EDIT: Jerry, I did a quick search and see there is a "basic" Algerian font available (no shadow)! There is also a free font called Lynwood that is very similar to the commercial Algerian font.

mtylerfl
05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I want to get the The CarveWright Project of the Month Subscription Newsletter, I want it to start with the Electrification Station. When I go to sighnup and pay, it is still showing the project for April.

Hi toymad,

Glad you want to start off your subscription with the ELECTRIFICATION STATION - I really enjoyed making that one, myself!

I think you'll be ok by signing up this month, but if you want to verify they start you off with the May project (i.e. the station), you can call CarveWright or just send a private message to Lynnfrwd (Connie) here on the forum with your inquiry - she'll make sure it happens as planned for you!

lynnfrwd
05-04-2011, 03:40 PM
The Electrification Station is now active.

Just so most of you guys know how to tell in the future...there is only one active project at a time. Up until today around 12:20 PM, it was the Rose Motif Serving Tray. Once I changed the active project to Electrification Station, then all of you subscribers started to receive it via email and into your customer accounts.

So, if it comes up in the future and I'm not around to answer, you can check your account. If the new one is there, then it is safe to assume anyone registering will get the new one. If you have NOT received that months yet into your account, a new registrant may still get the previous months project as their first. (And maybe that's what they are wanting...to catch the previous month's before it gets changed.) As soon as it does get changed, they will receive the newly active project and have used up 2 of their 12 months.

....and now you know!

toymad
05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I have downloaded the project and can't wait to carve it.

mtylerfl
05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I have downloaded the project and can't wait to carve it.

Great! If you get a chance, please post a photo or two of your finished project!

rickyz
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
i just joined the carvers club. got the ok from the boss.. aka wife..... has anyone recieved the free patterns for this month? I didn't know where else to post this question. Love the elec station by the way....

rickyz
05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
guess I signed up for the projects only. I e-mailed carvewright to see if I could upgrade because that's what I thought I was getting. didn't realize you could get the one year of projects only without joining the carve club. I guess I will have to wait a year since it doesn't make sense paying twice for the projects just to get the extras. that sucks.....

fwharris
05-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Rick,

They are 2 different subscriptions. Carvers club is a maintenance subscription that at times offers free patterns along with discounts on parts and the Project of the Month is a monthly project like this one..