PDA

View Full Version : 1.179 vs 1.178 problem with "Scale to Width" in project menu

Price
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Requesting jumpstart help please for beginner. If there's a thread for this, please point me there, much appreciation and thanks.

Started with 1.178 to create a STL carving of a scale model and really happy with the perfect results.

The project menu in 1.178 had "ignore scaling" which ensured that my model was carved exactly to the dimensions of the pattern design.

As long as I double check the board size I can accept the risk that the original pattern size will fit the board.

Yesterday I updated to 1.179 and to my confusion, I didn't see all the options in "Scale to Width". It only had 1. Scale to Width, and 2. Load New Board.

Then after measuring the board as too SMALL, the next option is "Cut Board to Size"(?)

The pattern was cut to "Scale to Width" and my project scale was altered making it unusable.

My test board had a small part of the top corner length shaved away sort of a small bevel only on the top of one side, making the board width on the top about 1 in difference from the project.

The board bottom is uniform and square enough to stay smoothly in the guides and more than sufficient area under the rollers on top.

When I know that my pattern will fit on the board without a doubt, HOW do I disable "Scale to Width" ? For small prototyping and scale models, and test patterns, Scale to Width will ruin the carving.

Also, wondering what the scaling factor is? For a tiny difference in width, the carving was scaled down to about 30 percent. Same for 1.178, but I was able to Ingore Scaling, and my second carving was perfect.

Thanks again.

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
When the machine measures the boards width narrower than what you have in Designer, the only options you have are either to scale (never do that), or load a new board.

You can go back into Designer and make the dimensions narrower, at least so that the machine measures at least the width as that you have in Designer.

Price
04-25-2011, 01:15 PM
CNSranch, thanks, quote: "the only options you have are either to scale (never do that)"...,

Exactly!, so what happened to the option "Scale to Fit?" and choose no scaling.

My scrap boards are square on the bottom , but one corner on the top has a variation cut, like a bevel and just happens to be located where the truck measures the board, otherwise it's perfectly compatible with the pattern size.

Having to redo the board size in desinger because of a bevel variation along only one corner only on the top that doesn't conflict with the pattern is bad for the work flow .

As a newbie, I must be missing something basic here. There HAS to be an "Ignore Fit to Scale"

Is this something that just changed? I'm studying the docs now, but it was so simple in 1.178 and my first model is perfect.

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm a bit lost - frankly, I don't recall ever having the ability to ignore a width issue - there are several work arounds on a length issue.....

We'll wait for those much more sage than I to come to the rescue.

BTW, I'm on 1.178, and had the width issue last weekend - only options (as I recall) were to scale or load a new board.

RMarkey
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
If your project is within 3/64" of the measured width, a new "ignore scaling" option comes up on the scale screen. That was added around 1.171 or so.

AskBud
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I think you will find that when using an actual board smaller than your design you will only have two options, Scale or Use New Board. However, if the board is larger that your design board you will get Scale, Ignore (keep original size), or Use new board. When keeping the original size, you will get more options asking for your placement choice.
AskBud

Price
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone. Makes sense now. Will go try it ASAP.

Saving me from reinstalling 1.178

Thanks again.

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I believe all this jumping through hoops is really a Pilot Error reading the display when using 1.178....

I am taking a WAG wild AL guess to say that an error was made back when He was operating 1.178 and actually loaded a board in the machine that was slightly wider than the project board in Designer. The Operator then saw the option to Scale the project FOR THE WIDER BOARD and chose to keep it the same.... He then was given a choice to place on Center or CORNER.....

Then when having loaded the new Designer Software He loaded a board that was NARROWER than the project board in Designer.... He remembered having the option to select to NOT to SCALE on the same project with 1.178.... If he were to find the Wood Scrap from that 1.178 project and measure the wood then He might find out that is was WIDER...

Don't mean to offend anyone but you need to think like the machine to understand what happened.... I believe you can check the change notes for Designer and will more than likely not find any change relating to Scaling.....

This was another WAG, but I think it comes down to Pilot Error.... What he remembered was in error.

AL

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
All I know is that I've never seen the ignore message, because I've never been within 3/64ths of anything.

mtylerfl
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone. Makes sense now. Will go try it ASAP.

Saving me from reinstalling 1.178

Thanks again.

Hello Price,

Scaling is easily avoided. I'm somewhat surprised no one directed you to the Tips & Tricks article that explains the scaling issue and the various circumstances why it can occur. I am providing the link in case you have not read the article yet: ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

There is a lot more info presented in the Tips & Tricks series that will help you avoid common user problems. The link to all the issues can be found under my signature below. I hope you find them helpful!

mtylerfl
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
All I know is that I've never seen the ignore message, because I've never been within 3/64ths of anything.

Hi Jerry,

Me either! <smile>

Price
04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I am providing the link in case you have not read the article yet: ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)
There is a lot more info presented in the Tips & Tricks series that will help you avoid common user problems. The link to all the issues can be found under my signature below. I hope you find them helpful!

I'll be a monkey's uncle riding the donkey backwards.
Reading all the CW_Tips&Tricks now.

The Ignore I saw was in the Auto Jig dialog, sorry again.

I've been adding the extra 7 inches to my design (not he board.) So I guess that caused the Keep on Rollers conflict.

Did a test carve last night using the No option for keep on rollers, and it stayed under the rollers anyway because the pattern was centered with 4 inches on each side of the design.

Thanks to all for your patience and help.

mtylerfl
04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Price,

Very glad to hear you're getting along alright - excellent! Now you can have some fun! Don't hesitate to ask for help in the future. We've all 'been there' ourselves and are eager to help others when needed.

ktjwilliams
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Great advise as alwayzzz !! Gave me some info... when I had an issue with scaling because the board was off by an Itsee bitsy amount I put some tape where the board sensor was making its measurements....