PDA

View Full Version : Pattern owner?

dougmsbbs
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know who's pattern this is? I've had a couple of requests from people that want me to carve and sell them one. But I don't want to sell them if it's a copyrighted pattern.

TerryT
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Here is the original post.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?5140-jesus-cross&highlight=christ+cross

Kenm810
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi Doug,

The Face on the Cross has become one of the favorites of many Folks on the Forum
Check out this threat for a little more Info about it. --- jesus face (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16800-jesus-face&highlight=Jesus+face)

dougmsbbs
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Thank you Terry and Ken!

But following those threads still leaves me confused. It was originally sold for $10.00, but then it looks like a lot of people are carving it? I'll gladly pay for it, it's a great pattern. But it seems a lot of people are carving it free. I think I'll make a few for gifts, and if someone chimes up that they would like me to buy it, I will.

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 11:10 AM
As I understand it, waay back, a fellow scanned the image, and posted it here for free. I mean waay back. Then, he, or someone else tried to sell it on Ebay.

It's certainly in the Public Domain.

dougmsbbs
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Thank you all!

BWT: found out you get extra Browny points for carving this for the first time on Easter Sunday. Wife thought that was just sooo fitting! When your as far behind in browny points as I am, you need all the help you can get! :)

AskBud
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know who's pattern this is? I've had a couple of requests from people that want me to carve and sell them one. But I don't want to sell them if it's a copyrighted pattern.
Doug,
Let's see if I can help you understand the Pattern Copyright concept.
I have over 160 patterns in the store.

Once you purchase the pattern, it is yours to carve (free or paid) for anyone you wish.
The copyright is to prohibit you from selling, or giving, the "Pattern" itself to any other person/entity.
AskBud

SteveEJ
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I have read the threads and it seems that the OP scanned it. If he then released a scanned image, that was received from some else as he posted, then I do not believe the image is copyrightable by the person scanning as they did not own the original image. They can charge for the labor of the scan but not the image itself. So, with that in mind, where does it go from here? Beats me.. This is for discussion purposes only and JMHO.. A Parellel would be me making a 2.5D image of a copyrighted portrait or oil painting. Snap a B&W picture, convert to 16 bit grayscale, smooth and start carving and selling Lithos of it. Would that get me a nasty gram from the original painter if copyrighted? Just thinkin..

RanUtah
04-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Ive probably carved more of those than anything else, great pattern!

SteveEJ
04-25-2011, 08:48 PM
One of my favorites!