PDA

View Full Version : Crank handle locked up then unscrewed the shaft and I can't get it to work again.

Lmcvey
04-25-2011, 04:52 AM
I raised the upper panel to install the carvetight system. Then I found I had raised the upper deck to high. I removed the sides and lowered the deck by the turning the screws to lower position. After the installation was done I tried to lower the deck by the crank and it was locked up. when turning the cran the shaft came unscrewed and I got it back togeather but the shaft keep unscrewing. Any help with this problem. I must of had it apart 150 times and still can not get the crank to work. I just clicks?

Lmcvey

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Some things aren't clear by your post, but I do know this.....

If you raise the head too high, you can get it to the point that the crank handle won't lower it by itself.

The threaded rod on the far side (away from the keypad) has a hole thru it toward the top where you can place a screwdriver, etc. in it, and manually lower the head a few turns. That will then enable the handle.

You may have loosened the head to the point that it's no longer level - if that's the case, you'll have to get that straightened out.

Bookmark this page, then open the file that explains how to level the head:

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
First Post WELCOME.... Look in the Manual.... It's in there about the jacking screw if too high....

The trick to getting the handle back on is to snug the handle screw then turn the handle until the spline lines up with the shaft and the handle inserts another 1/2 inch the re snug the screw.... Sounds like you are NOT getting the spline lined up on the crank....

AL

JDPratt
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I had the same issue when adjusting head pressure/ (clutch not working) removing one of the washers. I think the trick was to make sure the screw holding on the crank handle is very snug or else turning the crank handle down simply unscrews it. Not sure if this fixes your issue, but it worked for me.

stein
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem with the crank handle just clicking. I have taken the handle off and resnugged it. It did go in the extra half inch but it still won't crank down. I have had my machine apart to level the head so many times I stopped counting. I used to be able to crank the head down by hand but now I think I have stripped my tierods because everything just keeps clicking and I'm getting all sorts of error messages. I need help before I toss my machine out!