PDA

View Full Version : sled

normd
04-24-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm to cheap to keep throwing away 14 inches of board every project! Would using a sled stop this waste? If so ? Design and use help would be appreciated!
Normd

Smoken D
04-24-2011, 08:59 AM
14? should only be 7, 3 1/2 each end. I figured a sled was needed very quickly when I started. Here are a few threads I found using "sleds" in the search function;

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=633293

And a photo of my sled's

And this thread also

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16941-Adjustable-Sled-Idea&highlight=Smoken+D

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Even as basic as this....

AL

Capt Bruce
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Good morning Normd,

When I first started using my CW I picked up the 7" rule quickly for the same desire you noted to conserve good wood. Between that and the emphasis on a single true edge to ride on the brass roller I adopted a simple rule for running projects. I selected a good straight length of each common board size (IE 4", 6", 8", 10" and 12") about four foot long. Squared one end of each and added a 3.5" long end block of the same width screwed on square at the left square end that will be loaded first. I keep similar 3.5" loose blocks with them. Each carrier board then gets tape applied on the roller riding bottom edge. I do check that these carrier boards have flat bottom surfaces for good belt contact and no cupping that might keep the edge off the roller.

To run a project I just check the carrier edge, load my board on top of the carrier board of the appropriate same width (above) and tape it on at the fixed end block and also down near the other end of the carrier. If the carving piece is short I add the loose block following the work piece with more tape to ensure it will always be under the rollers. If it is longer than the carrier I adjust my roller ball support stand to support the extended board.

Knowing that my brass roller contact edge (carrier) will always be true and straight saves multiple inspections and I only have to renew the taped bottom edge on one piece occasionally. For the first cut out on a new board I start it "at corner" and subsequent projects are started "at point on edge" measured and marked on the board to the right of the last project by adding the intended length of the new carving. Works for me. I'll add photos if this confuses anyone. Using this technique has saved me more good wood than was required to set aside these "common wood size" carriers for the past 2 years or more.

liquidguitars
04-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Hello,

I like to add a small correction to Captain Bruce's post, if you make a sled please do not use 3.5" tails/ blocks but make the blocks 4" or larger, the 7" rule is the smallest you can go from center of the roller to the center that it, no magic programing.

Adding more to the tails makes a more stable work sled. Once you make 4" tails" or bigger" you can also load the tail under the board sensor and never need tape on the top to trick the CW to measure correctly. Think of the larger tail as a race track for the board sensor.

Capt Bruce
04-25-2011, 07:01 AM
I bow to the Master Obi Wan LG,

A good point as my fixed end blocks all have a few carved into spots where the pattern lapped over into the edge just a bit depending upon what draft was applied to the MPC. It's about time I renewed them anyway after two years. Thanks Brandon

normd
04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Do the end blocks nee to be the same thickness as the project material? Your right I double 7 not 3 1/2 oops . thanks everybody for the help
Norm

Smoken D
04-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes, if they will be going under the rollers they should be the same thickness. That is why I make my ends removeable along the "T" track. That way can put on half inch or three quarter ends to accomidate thickness of project and use the same sled for both.

normd
04-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks I need to make a run to rockler for t-track but I think I understand enough to get this thing made now. At the price of wood you'd think it didn't grow on trees!

nuchie
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I need to make a sled for thiner products. Goes someone have a plan I can download or follow.
Thanks,
Leo

AskBud
04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I need to make a sled for thiner products. Goes someone have a plan I can download or follow.
Thanks,
LeoMy "Download" link, below, has a lesson on a "Multi-use Sled".
If you also need it to hold down your stock (because it's extra short), just put a bevel on each holding device and a corresponding bevel on the ends of your stock.
AskBud

henry1
04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
My "Download" link, below, has a lesson on a "Multi-use Sled".
If you also need it to hold down your stock (because it's extra short), just put a bevel on each holding device and a corresponding bevel on the ends of your stock.
AskBud
Sorry to bud in bud but I went the store for a pattern the one you mention new one in the store ,,shouldn't I get that pattern I bought in about 10 min later by email ..it's been over and hour now still no email
Henry

AskBud
04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry to bud in bud but I went the store for a pattern the one you mention new one in the store ,,shouldn't I get that pattern I bought in about 10 min later by email ..it's been over and hour now still no email
Henry
Henry1,
Tell me which pattern you are talking about.
Also, have you checked your junk bin? If it's your first pattern from the store, you may need to give that address permission.
I'm send a message to my contact at LHR, just to be on the safe side.
AskBud

AskBud
04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Henry1,
Tell me which pattern you are talking about.
Also, have you checked your junk bin? If it's your first pattern from the store, you may need to give that address permission.
I'm send a message to my contact at LHR, just to be on the safe side.
AskBud
Just to be sure we are on the same page!
You know that when you purchase the pattern, and bring it in to Designer, you only need to activate the Serial number (Code) that is listed on the eMail.
Have you gotten your billing statement?

The address that is on the store mail is: orders@carvewright.com
AskBud

lynnfrwd
04-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Henry

The first email you receive is automatic. The second one, which contains your activation codes or "Serial #:" can take anywhere from one to 24 hours. In some instances the system will automatically process the code and in other instances, we have to physical move the order status to "Processed" for the code to be generated. So, if it is outside of our normal work hours, there may be a delay until someone goes online and processes the orders.

Before you ask, I already inquired as to what conditions determine automatic or manual processing. MOST of the time, it is automatic, particularly, if someone places their order online. If LHR processes the order over the phone, the process is manual and usually done that day by shipping or accounting. In rare instances, the orders are automatically marked processed, but no activation code is sent in the second email. In that case, we have to manually process it, but may need a message or call from the customer as we do not check each order to see if they received an activation code.