PDA

View Full Version : Lines.... Help

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Hello,
Here is my problem..I have lines in my carves , sometimes barely noticable but they are present. Here is what I know..

1. Not the bit . I tried 3 brand new bits same results

2. Not the pattens It happens on anything I do. I even created test squares in designer, same results

3. no play at all in the z truck assemb.

4. no wobbel with the bit

Here is what I did.

1. Cleaned pressure rollers under the rubber washers

2. replaced the berring screws and adjusted the z truck assemb. (no play) berrings move as they should.

3. lubed everything as they should.

not sure if I missed a step and YES for those that post look up lines in carves I did that too. and am woundering what else I could have missed..I can't afford to send this to CW to fix that is not an option for me...any input would be apreciated

Thanks Will

unitedcases
04-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I would clean out the encoder on the back of the Z-motor. Just three screws. Pull the cap off and blow it out.

AskBud
04-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Hello,
Here is my problem..I have lines in my carves , sometimes barely noticable but they are present. Here is what I know..

1. Not the bit . I tried 3 brand new bits same results

2. Not the pattens It happens on anything I do. I even created test squares in designer, same results

3. no play at all in the z truck assemb.

4. no wobbel with the bit

Here is what I did.

1. Cleaned pressure rollers under the rubber washers

2. replaced the berring screws and adjusted the z truck assemb. (no play) berrings move as they should.

3. lubed everything as they should.

not sure if I missed a step and YES for those that post look up lines in carves I did that too. and am woundering what else I could have missed..I can't afford to send this to CW to fix that is not an option for me...any input would be apreciated

Thanks Will
I presume that your problem is seen with the Carving bit.
What chuck are you using? What setting do you use when you load the memory card? Are the lines consistant in spacing and/or depth?
Please take, and attach, a photo of your test squares (let us see the entire board, not just the square).
AskBud

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 02:27 PM
yes it's the carving bit....I use best quality when I carve and Use QC . lines are consistant but you have to really look to see them..I've been carving for about 3 years with my machine so this is new for me. I replaced the z-truck assem a year or so back and the QC about 6 months back. i'm cleaning the encoder as per unitedcases suggestion and will post pics shortly Thanks everyone for all your help

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I cleaned the encoder and still the same..Im charging the camera now I took pictures with my cell phone but you couldn't see the lines...they are very fine lines and the feather area is very rough

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I took pictures with my good camera but you cant see the lines in the photos...It happens with or without the use of a carrier board...i'm going nuts over this

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
What direction do the lines run? ..... X - Length of the board or Y - width?

How far apart are they spaced?

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 05:58 PM
the lines run on the Y about 1/16" through out the entire carve very faint

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm sure you have but check the rubber O ring on the brass roller and also that the roller spring is working.

It "sounds" as if it's cutting a slightly different depth on each direction with each pass. Tough to tell without seeing it. I would check the Z drive belts and cogs for any wear, damage or clogging with dust/chips.

I know you said the bit had no wobble. Is that BOTH in the bit to adapter and adapter to QC?

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
The rubber washer is on but it does seem that when you push down on the brash roller that it seems stiff compared to when you push on the black tab off to the side of it...the QC has no wobble at all on the bit or adaptor

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
There should be a small amount of up & down movement in that brass roller with a noticable soft "spring" tension lifting it up. How about that Z belt? It seem tight, clean and OK?

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
brass roller def feels stiff...the belt looks almost new. how tight should the belt feel..should it be real tight or just slightly

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Check for any obstruction around that roller. The belt should be tight with just a little side to side play. Also, you may want to check the screws that hold the Z motor and make sure they're tight.

I know you said you adjusted the Z truck bearings. With the unit turned off, make sure there's no play at both the top and bottom positions. If memory serves, that bottom right bearing being ever so slightly loose was a cause of lines for some folks.

flemingswoodworks
04-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Ill check everything you told me about first thing in the AM..wife wants to watch Doctor Who...I apreciate all your help and everyone elses aswell

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Good luck and enjoy the show. Hope u find the cause.

Deolman
04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
ChrisAlb, good to see you back on.

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2011, 08:11 PM
We had a Good Visit today, Chris looks Great.... Life on the Road is agreeing with him.

As for the lines....

1st possible cause is the Y Roller Rail Bearings have one bearing out of top dead center letting the head tilt. To check Grab the whole head assembly and try to twist clockwise then counter clockwise. You would feel the looseness.... Remember the 2 top Y Roller Bearings need to be adjusted to Top Dead Center or the most closed position.

2nd possible cause is the Z Rail Bearings and checked the same way.

3rd possible cause is the screws holding the Z Motor to the machine or the 2 screws inside the gearbox holding the gearbox to the Motor are loose.

4th possible cause is that the screws going into the bottom of the smooth 4 corner posts are loose letting the head raise on sawdust on the board.

AL

flemingswoodworks
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
@chrisalb nothing is loose at all I took the whole z assem off again and reinstalled it with same results..

@Digitalwoodshop I went through all your suggestions and all looked good...I snuged the screws tight on the 4 smooth corners and am running a test carve now..will let you know the results....

just a question on cost if anyone knows the answer. how much does it run to ship these things back and forth to CW

flemingswoodworks
04-24-2011, 10:44 AM
yup still got the lines...damn....my wife wants me to stay away from it for the rest of the day so im in a good mood for easter.not sure why she would say such a thing :) happy easter everyone and once again I can't stress enough the input and help you all have given me so far...im woundering if I should just try and replace the z-assembly again not sure at this point...until tomorrow
Thank You
Will

gregsolano
04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't know is CW bumps up the price shipping it back to you but I have shipped a few of these across the U.S. and they cost between $75 and $85 ground UPS if you buy and print label on line.

flemingswoodworks
04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
ouch...yea CW is insane with their shipping cost ...I might just take a chance and replace the Z-truck and cross my fingers..I can't afford to send them the whole machine and than the cost to fix on top of that.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
I just asked this in the other thread but answer here..... If you draw a 6 inch rectangle and make it a .20 carve region and let it carve.... Are there lines? What I am asking is the Obvious... Is it a background ptn, noisy background? A picture would help....

AL

TerryT
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
check out this post if you haven't already seen it. At that time I was sure there wasn't any movement of the bit, but..... after double and triple checking there was just the tinyest bit. Enough to cause the problem.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?9403-Helpbot...-here-is-one-for-ya&highlight=lines+waves

flemingswoodworks
04-24-2011, 06:35 PM
@ digital as I posted this was already tested along with several paterns all with the same results ...the lines are very fine and hard to see in the photos I will try to get better pictures tomorrow to post

flemingswoodworks
04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
@Terry I will try your technic tomorrow ill run a larger rectangle and stop and adjust as its going to see if that does the trick

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Reading that 2008 post I had forgot to mention LOOSE SCREWS.... to the Z Belt..... I did get a refurbished Z truck a few years ago with loose Z Belt Screws and saw it posted a few times here too....

AL

flemingswoodworks
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM
OK here is what I learned today....I went through everything again and again and discovered something I didn't notice before...
When I put one finger inside the QC and one on the sleve and try to move it and there is a slight wobble, not much but it's their...should I replace the QC or the whole Z assembly?

flemingswoodworks
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
P.S. Thanks again everyone ...you've all gone way out of your way to help me figure this out and I apreciate it greatly

cnsranch
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd go with the CarveTight - that's what I'll do if my QC ever shells out.

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Good Job.... Remember the Unwritten Rule of the QC.... Since you have a QC problem you need to now replace the QC and ALL the bit holders. Replacing just the QC or just a damaged bit holder will result in rapid damage again to the QC and Bit Holders....

You need to replace the whole shooting match.... One worn part left will FLOP AROUND and make BB Marks in the Bit Holders....

For the Money you are going to spend on the QC and bit holders you would be further ahead to get a ROCK or CarveTite.

Do you have BB Marks in the Bit Holder?

AL

flemingswoodworks
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I have no bb marks I have 3 brand new carve bits and 2 new cutting bits..those are all I use.....I do simple stuff manely as a hobbie,I mainly bout it so I can make myself a guitar, being a long time player but it never worked out for me I could never get it wright.
are the carvetite and rock exspensive? The last time I took my QC off I broke 4 tools in that bad boy, thats a tough job

hray
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
i have a new qc its yours for postage

flemingswoodworks
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks hray but I don't think thats my problem..I just put a new one on..Im begining to think the problem might be internal on the z-assembly

www.carvenow.com
05-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks hray but I don't think thats my problem..I just put a new one on..Im begining to think the problem might be internal on the z-assembly

I think it's the problem of the tracking sensor in the back of the z-motor. The one responsible for the z-truck up and down movement. It's in the back of the motor. It need to be clean.