PDA

View Full Version : Lithopane help!!!!!!color of corian effect results?

Sallen1215
04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok so i was given 1/2 in corian sink cut outs from a counter top installer friend, i planed it down to 1/4 in and followed all of the guides posted in the tips and tricks. i set bit depth at .180 and height at 450, i carved two patterns and when it was finished i can barely see any light. i edited the photos to enhance the carving ability by darkening and removing clutter in the background. Alli can see id specks of light ehwn i hold it up to a back light im wondering if the fact this is marbleized corian has something to do with the lack of opacity, it is a beigeish tan with streaks in it. any help would be greatly appreciated

Stephen "the new guy"

lawrence
04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I've got bad news...

only a couple of the colors of corian (glacier white and champagne are the two I can think of right off) will allow the light to get through well enough for the lithopane to work. You might be able to try to plane the back thinner, but if it isn't transparent I think you may be out of luck

I'm sorry man, the carves look like they came out pretty nicely too-- there are lots of places out there to buy the correct corian (carvewrights website is one of them--the only place I know of to buy 12x18 corian sheets and I just got some last week) Other folks (including Larry - lmbkb - here on the site sell corian or "off brand" corian that works just as well unless you plan to bend it around a form.

I've bought from both carvewright and lmbkb and found both experiences to be fine as a customer.

Lawrence

Sallen1215
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
thank you for the advice, my counter top friend also has polymer acrylic which is semi translucent from the start, they use it in restaurants and its like an amber color and they have a blue color, ive also thought about using two part acrylic cast resin to make my own material, LHR said it should work some people have had good results.

lawrence
04-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, good luck and please be sure to post pictures as we'd love to see your work. (and welcome to the forum as well)

Lawrence