PDA

View Full Version : Fair value of a used/broken unit

cntbill
04-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I've been wondering what is a fair price of a used CW or one that needs repair. I looked at one that was listed on CL near me, the guy was asking $500. The top was jammed up, wires hanging out with a micro switch. The LCD just had blocks, I reseated the card and that didn't make a difference (learned that from the forum here), I didn't do any other troubleshooting as it was plain to see it was not cared for very well or the person he got it from couldn't get it back together right as there was a little bag with "extra" screws and a small circuit board. The guy was firm on the price and I see he sold it on ebay for $570...

So I guess what I am trying to find out more or less is what repair, replacement parts cost are. If the repair parts are inexpensive then maybe I could see 500, or are the part expensive and the $500 machines being bought for part? Is spending $500 too much to pay if I am planing on repairing it? Or should I just save a little more and get a new one?

gregsolano
04-22-2011, 12:11 AM
If I could afford it I would buy a new one. Truth is after stalking this forum for a few months I finally bought a slightly used one on ebay for $1000.00. It was a new version C with carvetight so I was really happy. Since then I have bought and sold a couple of them so I know If you look for a week or two you can find a good one that needs no work for $800 to $1000. Keep an eye out on this forum and watch ebay. when you search on ebay do several searches, carvewright, compucarve, and sears compucarve, craftsman compucarve. People who list under craftsman compucarve get found less on searches and therefore there machines go for less than those who list with all the key words. Yesterday I missed out on one that went for $670 although it had the Quick Change Chuck which is bad but the price was worth paying for the upgrade. The machine was like new with only 30 hours on it. I logged onto ebay about 15 minutes late to bid on it. I would have re sold it for a few hundred dollar profit. Take a few weeks, look for the right machine and buy it!

gregsolano
04-22-2011, 12:15 AM
I just sent you a private message with a machine you should look at. You will have to jump on it quick though. I didn't post it in forum because someone else would jump on it.

cntbill
04-22-2011, 12:33 AM
If I Keep an eye out on this forum and watch ebay. when you search on ebay do several searches, carvewright, compucarve, and sears compucarve, craftsman compucarve. ... Yesterday I missed out on one that went for $670 although it had the Quick Change Chuck which is bad but the price was worth paying for the upgrade. The machine was like new with only 30 hours on it. I logged onto ebay about 15 minutes late to bid on it.

Thanks for info and the search tips! Yea I know the feeling of just missing a decent deal...

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2011, 08:40 AM
The head jammed up is usually that you need to turn the jacking screw to prime the jacking screw. It is in the manual and if they didn't read the manual, well... It is better they sell the machine and take the $1500. lesson.

The computer and Power Supply are the most expensive parts. It is unusual to have both of them go bad. It is usually something like a bad cable.... $500.00 is a good price for a broken machine.

AL

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
WOW! This forum has changed SO MUCH it's hard for an old woodworker to find a place to say hello...LOL Hello everyone! I sure hope you're all making lots of sawdust and many neat projects! I miss you all very much and miss carving as well. But I have a couple days home time so I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a very Happy Easter! God bless!

mtylerfl
04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi Chris!

Everytime I pass a semi (or one passes me!), I think of you - wondering if you're the one in the pilot seat!

I trust you are doing well and miss your tips, comments and good company here on the forum.

Happy Easter to you, too!

TerryT
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Chris! I hope all is well with you. It's been a long time. Happy Easter my friend.

Kenm810
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Chris,

As you noted the Forum has really grown in the last year or so, several new carvers, loads of updates
and lots of new info and projects from both new comers and the old timers.
We're Happy to see you stop by to say Hello, and look around. Your posts are still brought up
now and then in forum searches, just to say and let you know your shared Humor and info
is still much valued plus sorely missed.

Take Care and have a
Good Holiday Weekend

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey Buddy Welcome Home !!!!!! Enjoy your time off !!!!

Miss you and your input.

AL

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Everyone! I had a long reply typed to Michael but the forum kicked me off and I lost it all. Is there now a time limit on being logged in?

Obviously I have a LOT of catching up just to be a newbie again...LOL

Kenm810
04-22-2011, 11:54 AM
No real time limit Chris, it happens to me every ones and a while,
most often when I forget to check the little box when I sign-in.
I've gotten into the habit of typing my long posts in MS Word
and then pasting them into my posts ---- I've been known to
accidentlly delete my thoughts before I finish typing them.

Old Salt
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Good to see you back
ck in when you can.

liquidguitars
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi ChrisAB, Keep on trucking!

I just got a Classic A model with all the old stock parts 60 hrs a fair price would be 500 to 750 I would think. I recommend that new users for sure get a new C unit!

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
That's a good idea Ken. Had I known I'd get kicked off I would have.
I will as I can Old Salt.
Brandon, I will until I have my trading account built large enough to live from. Then it's back to making saw dust! I told AL a while back I was going to sell the rest of my woodworking tools including the CW. But I just can't bring myself to doing that. Building and woodworking is my life's PASSION and one I just won't give up on. So driving is really just a means to an end for me.

It's funny, I used to look at all the places you all are from and thought, "man, that's so far away I'll never meet anyone in person". Now, after having driven all over this country many times, suddenly it's all put in perspective. I mean I can make it from the East coast to the West coast in just a couple days. And that's in a BIG truck! LOL A car or bike would be much faster.

fwharris
04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey Chris glad you stuck your nose in! BEEN A LONG TIME!

cntbill
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM
... It is better they sell the machine and take the $1500. lesson.
$500.00 is a good price for a broken machine.

AL

From what I have been reading, I can see that one needs to read the manual and learn as much as they can about their machine. Good to know.

WOW! This forum has changed SO MUCH it's hard for an old woodworker to find a place to say hello...LOL Hello everyone! I sure hope you're all making lots of sawdust and many neat projects! I miss you all very much and miss carving as well. But I have a couple days home time so I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a very Happy Easter! God bless!

Don't know what to tell ya, I didn't think I was that old ;-) but have a Happy Easter too and God bless !

TerryT
04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
It's funny, I used to look at all the places you all are from and thought, "man, that's so far away I'll never meet anyone in person". Now, after having driven all over this country many times, suddenly it's all put in perspective. I mean I can make it from the East coast to the West coast in just a couple days. And that's in a BIG truck! LOL A car or bike would be much faster.

Chris if you ever get to Washington state give me a call. My number is on my web page.

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Looks like a Road Trip in my direction today.... I just got my Graphtec Plotter up and running.... Had to load the software on this backup computer and add a few fonts... Going to make a little reflective Art for Chris's Rig in the morning....

Shop is still A MESS.... Well at least when I finally clean it, he will notice the difference... LOL....

AL

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Hey Chris glad you stuck your nose in! BEEN A LONG TIME!

FW Buudy!! Really good to see you all here. Yep, since last June or so I think?

Chris if you ever get to Washington state give me a call. My number is on my web page.

Terry my friend, how ya been been? I get there at least once a month. We have terminals in both Vacouver and Lakewood. I'll call for sure when I'm a couple days out.

Looks like a Road Trip in my direction today.... I just got my Graphtec Plotter up and running.... Had to load the software on this backup computer and add a few fonts... Going to make a little reflective Art for Chris's Rig in the morning....Shop is still A MESS.... Well at least when I finally clean it, he will notice the difference... LOL....AL

Easy there big fella. I have NO intention of making (or seeing) you work my brother. I just want to see a good friend after such a long time. I also know you're screaming busy with projects so you just focus on them. There's PLENTY of time to do the lettering and I haven't even decided the "look" yet.... LOL As far as your shop? Don't worry about anything on my account buddy. You know me, "a messy shop is a busy shop" and that's a GREAT thing to see.

Don't know what to tell ya, I didn't think I was that old ;-) but have a Happy Easter too and God bless !

I'm SOOOOO sorry to have highjacked your thread here sir. My deepest apologies and thanks for your understanding. Something I suggested a LONG time ago was a general BS section where folks could just hang out for things like this.

If I may, reading the manual is a great start but this forum is the place to get "all" the info you'll need to be a well informed and thus happy CW owner/user. Best wishes to you!

Capt Bruce
04-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Welcome back to the Forum Chris and a Happy Easter. We've missed your humor and wise counsel in all the Threads. You were among the first to welcome me here as a complete Newbie so it's nice to be able to welcome you back.

Hang onto your wood working tools if at all possible. They will always prove to be wise investments, worth far more than their original price and like trusted old friends you already know all about them and how they work. There were times moving around the world when I gave up other household goods for their weight against my allowance and the tools moved with me. Having them here now in my final shop is like a circle of close friends. Be safe on the road Sir!

ChrisAlb
04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Captain sir!! So good to hear from you and thank you so much for the very kind words. I remember when you first started posting here and the fun we had learning and sharing. I run loads to Stone Mountain and if you PM me with your number, perhaps I can let you know when I do and just maybe, we can meet up for a cup of coffee or something. That goes for everyone else too if you wish. Shoot me a PM with your phone numbers and as I run around America, maybe we can meet up. It would be my pleasure to meet the folks I've met in this wonderful community we have here. Many of who I already consider friends and family.

I spent this afternoon with AL. We went to lunch and just sat and talked for hours. I can't tell you how great it was to spend some time with my buddy or how happy I am that all his hard work and dedication is starting to take shape and pay off.

I won't sell the rest of my tools. I just can't. I already sold my 4x4 and some of my tools to put myself through CDL school last June. Like you said, they are like my close friends and God willing, I'll be able to use them again one day.

To everyone, Thank you so much for the warm welcome home and the very kind words. It's really a touch overwhelming to me. I'll be headed back OTR Monday night/Tuesday morning and as usual, I'll be out there for a few months. Time and internet access is limited while out but I'll do my best to pop in from time to time and be a PAIN....LOL

Happy Easter and God Bless You All.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Chris, Great Day to take the Hog for a Ride Chris..... Sunny and Warm....

Got a PM from a member this morning showing a CL sale of a machine for $500.00 with lots of extras.... in VA. And about 50 hours on it... Now that is a GOOD DEAL....

AL

cntbill
05-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Just an update.

Got the one mentioned in my 1st post, seems the ebay buyer never paid for it so the guy let me have it for $180. Flashed the card, cleaned and lubed it up, had some minor issues Z Axis, but resolved them by using this forum and an email from support. CW support reset the machine licensing for me in less then 15 minutes! Now all I need is some bits, the one 1/8 that came with the unit the tip was broken off, I ground it flush good enough for checking the machine out but carves are a bit rough. So I can't really complain much for what I paid.

badger2424
05-29-2011, 12:49 AM
bill, hope everything works out! I got mine about the same way and things were a little less than perfect. Don't know if it was driver error or machine at the start, but knowing the machine makes all the difference in the world!! If you have problems, look here and these guys can definately help. Whatever you do, read tips and tricks, humongus info there, and don't get discouraged-we're always here! U need to get u an 1/16 carving bit to do rasters with. The 1/8 is the cutting bit.

cntbill
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
bill, hope everything works out! I got mine about the same way and things were a little less than perfect. Don't know if it was driver error or machine at the start, but knowing the machine makes all the difference in the world!! If you have problems, look here and these guys can definately help. Whatever you do, read tips and tricks, humongus info there, and don't get discouraged-we're always here! U need to get u an 1/16 carving bit to do rasters with. The 1/8 is the cutting bit.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, yes I've been doing a lot of forum surfing and 1/16 bit on the way! I think I got the basics of the machine, well at least to a degree, but now while I am waiting on the bits got to get into the software end... Thanks again