PDA

View Full Version : New 3/16 carving bit

DKD
04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
So I'm wondering what you veteran carvers think about this new BIG BIT(3/16 carving). It seem to me it will be allot more wear and tear on the machine.

I'm personaly afraid to try it untill I get some positive feedback.

I already always use "best" setting to make things easier on the motors etc., but maybe I have nothing to fear? as I've yet to have any problems. Just wondering what you all think.

atauer
04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
I know it works wonders on large projects. It took a piece that normally took about 8 hours to carve down to about 2 hours. It drastically reduced the carving time on that project, which was shown on the emailed newsletter.

dougmsbbs
04-20-2011, 06:04 PM
I've used them, and they work great. I've also broke a couple, but thats another story....

DickB
04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks like a handy tool for some big projects. I'll be watching Amazon for availability, as the bits they offer are $10 cheaper with no shipping charge.

cestout
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I think Amazon only has no shipping charge for over $25 for stuff from their store. If they are selling stuff from other providers they charge. I got bits there a while ago and don't remember, but I just got sleeves for my Dremmel contour sander and shipping was about $10. Post it here when or If they show up there.
Clint

RanUtah
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm just wondering if the veterans got the chance to test it out and what they think. I think its a great idea if it works.

CarverJerry
04-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Fill me in, it this 3/16 a tapered bit like our carving bit or is it just a flat bottom 3/16 end mill? And is it used in place of the regular 1/4 tapered carving bit?

CJ

DickB
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I think Amazon only has no shipping charge for over $25 for stuff from their store. If they are selling stuff from other providers they charge. I got bits there a while ago and don't remember, but I just got sleeves for my Dremmel contour sander and shipping was about $10. Post it here when or If they show up there.
Clint
I've bought from Amazon and speak from experience. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-BCT125P-Cutting-CarveTight-Spindle/dp/B0044BCKK4/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b Ships and sold by Amazon. $29.99 qualifies for free shipping. Why would you buy from LHR?

RanUtah
04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Dick B thats an eye opener. It just bothers me that LHR sells to Amazon and Amazon sells for the price that they do and we cant get that price when we buy from LHR.

DKD
04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi CJ it's a ballnose made to cut down carve time on large projects. They claim it can knock 6 hours off an 8 hour carve. seems like it would stress other parts of the machine to me but I'm still not sure what the Carvewright is realy capable of so maybe not an issue?

DickB
04-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Compared to vector cuts and cutouts, carving always appears to be less stressful to me. Particularly if you're running "best", not much material is removed per carving pass. This bit requires the latest software, and you must select the bit in Designer, so presumably it's compensated. I'm not worried.

gregsolano
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks Dick B thats an eye opener. It just bothers me that LHR sells to Amazon and Amazon sells for the price that they do and we cant get that price when we buy from LHR.

The big deal is the shipping charges. LHR needs to be more reasonable with shipping, Priority mail small, med, and large box prices will fit most items shipped for well below the price LHR charges, they are making to much profit over shipping. I have bought several items from others that I would have easily bought from LHR if the shipping was not so high. I also buy bits from Amazon which come from LHR? Go figure?

DickB
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I hardly buy anything at all without first doing a search. I too was surprised when I first found CarveWright bits on Amazon for less. Wish they'd offer all of them.

RanUtah
04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea, I normally do searches for stuff I'm looking for, I just thought their stuff (mainly bits) was exclusive to LHR, I learned a lesson here.

As far as as shipping goes to totally agree, they are way too high and its a hard pill to swallow. I recently ordered some stuff and turned around to broke my last cutting bit so I needed to place another order with another 12 bucks for shipping for one bit so I ordered 2. They could give us a break.

SteveNelson46
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm a little confused here. I have upgraded the Designer software to 1.179 but, I cannot find any way to select the new 3/16 carving bit. Am I missing something?

RMarkey
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Here's an example of the bit in action: This shell pattern took 90 minutes on optimal with the 1/16" carving bit, but only took 50 minutes with the 3/16" bit.43874

atauer
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm a little confused here. I have upgraded the Designer software to 1.179 but, I cannot find any way to select the new 3/16 carving bit. Am I missing something?

Steve,

Go to the edit menu, and select "Board Preferences". On the board preference screen, select the "Pattern Bit" tab, and you will be able to select the new bit from the drop down menu.

SteveNelson46
04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks Alex!

SteveNelson46
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Does anyone have any compairsons in quality of the carvings between tne new 3/16 carving bit and the 1/16 carving bit?

dougmsbbs
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Is this a bit meant to replace the smaller one on all projects, or just to be used for larger carvings? Do we loose any detail using it? Love the idea!

rcdages
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Looking forward to picking one up at LHR when I am at the conference.

It is for larger work.

Not a replacement for the 1/16" carving bit.

Smoken D
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Can this bit be taken out of the sleve and used in the Rock after the upgrade?

earlyrider
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
It can probably be pressed out.

lawrence
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey Ron, any chance of a 3/16 rock chuck adapter? I found these and they would probably work but I've no way to get them into my rock chuck

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/32607/name/4-Flute+Solid+Carbide+Ball+Nose+End+Mills+(WT)?utm_m edium=cpc&utm_source=froog

Lawrence

lawrence
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Also, to the Carvewright folks-- I see the bit is only available with the pressed on sleeve. Are y'all going to make it available in an adapter for those that still use the QC?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Lawrence

lynnfrwd
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Also, to the Carvewright folks-- I see the bit is only available with the pressed on sleeve. Are y'all going to make it available in an adapter for those that still use the QC?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Lawrence

Sorry, Lawrence, but no.

lawrence
04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Post removed by author -- will replace next week with original --

Have a great Easter Weekend everyone, lets all continue this discussion next week and just relax with our families this weekend

V/r
Lawrence
-here's the original as I posted on Friday
Connie--Please don't let your blood pressure raise over this issue-- I truly mean no disrespect and really do LOVE my Carvewright and appreciate the products that LHR puts out. I also very much appreciate the fact that this is a new upgrade and think it is a great idea. However...

Darn it...

"OK,

I teased everyone yesterday with an early announcement of a new chuck in testing. Apparently I need to clarify my statement. This new chuck design will be an alternative to the QC and will use the same Ztruck. The QC will still continue to exist and be available. People will have a choice of what chuck they want to use. We are working diligently to get it out as soon as we can, but I think everyone would agree that making it a solid product is a high priority. This requires thousands of hours of testing doing everything we can think of that someone might try. I hope this will clarify things. Thank you,

Joe Lovchik " - jlovchik 09192009

"Thanks for the explaination. however, the next logical question is will you start offering the bits, and full bit set with whatever ever adapter is required (or none) for the new chuck? Is it safe to assume the new chuck is closer to the rock as in no bit adapters may be needed at all?"

Doug Fletcher - dbfletcher 09192009

"Yes, there will be options on how to buy the bits." -jlovchik 09192009

"2) Do you recommend that everyone upgrade, and

is the existing Quick Chuck (QC) still supported?

The QC will still be supported for those who prefer to

continue using it. However, the CarveTight offers

many significant advantages, and we think most users

will want to seriously consider the CarveTight System

upgrade for their machines." - April 2010 Tips and Tricks

I'm guessing that there is an issue with getting new adapters to fit the 3/16 bits? If this is the case then I certainly understand, though this probably still won't sit really well with those out there that have been (very vocally) loyal to the QC chuck.

With great respect, and hoping you read this tomorrow at work and not tonight as you shouldn't get the heartburn from this stuff at home.
Lawrence

CarverJerry
04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Ok, I just went to the CW website and looked at the new 3/16 bit. I don't see anything special about this 3 flute bull nose end mill. But while I was there (on the web site) I clicked on the details for the bit and seen some pictures that they carved with this new bit. The second project they showed was lions head that was once a door knocker. Does anyone know if that project is available anywhere? Guess I'll have to go look thru their site again.

CJ

lynnfrwd
04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Ok, I just went to the CW website and looked at the new 3/16 bit. I don't see anything special about this 3 flute bull nose end mill. But while I was there (on the web site) I clicked on the details for the bit and seen some pictures that they carved with this new bit. The second project they showed was lions head that was once a door knocker. Does anyone know if that project is available anywhere? Guess I'll have to go look thru their site again.

CJ

I don't think it is available, Jerry. Might be some day...

lynnfrwd
04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Lawrence:

I have no idea why they aren't available with the QC adapter, but I wasn't surprised as the 3/16" cutting bit didn't have it as an option either. It may have something to do with not working as well in the QC, I don't know. It may have been a direction of the business decision.

I know it is a fine line, but don't believe any of Joe's statements have been compromised, yet, but they will at some point. All of the products that were available are still available with the QC adapter option, just not the new products. I'm fairly sure at sometime and at some point, those too will be phased out or used up and not replaced.

No heartburn, Lawrence, I'm off today!! <Wink>

It's Good Friday and the office is closed. Now as soon as I check emails, I'm going to plant some new flower pots! Happy Easter!!
Connie

skeeterman
04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
This 3/16 bit of course will not carve the finer detail as the 1/16 but i am wondering if in the future software upgrades we will have a roughing out option with 3/16 and then finnish detail with the 1/16?
sure would be nice
steve

Kenm810
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Hey Connie,

Some of the Folks just a little north of us are out today stomping
the Crocuses, Daffodils, and Tulips back into the ground --- we're expecting
freezing temps plus 6" of snow tonight --- 60s and 70s next week hopefully!

lynnfrwd
04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
This 3/16 bit of course will not carve the finer detail as the 1/16 but i am wondering if in the future software upgrades we will have a roughing out option with 3/16 and then finnish detail with the 1/16?
sure would be nice
steve

I think the issue with that AT PRESENT is it will still run the full attempted carve at the 1/16" time line, so it wouldn't save you anything. You can't tell it "okay now go do the detail of the whiskers and eyes". Now, maybe, in the future software they can get it figured out, not sure when or how.

lynnfrwd
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey Connie,

Some of the Folks just a little north of us are out today stomping
the Crocuses, Daffodils, and Tulips back into the ground --- we're expecting
freezing temps plus 6" of snow tonight --- 60s and 70s next week hopefully!

My Daffodils & Tulips finally came up and immediately turned brown from our hot temperatures and the absence of Spring time weather! Only had a couple Daffodils to even bloom before it got too hot. Upper 80's here today. <Frown!>

Smoken D
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Learned my lesson a few years ago. Planted 150 tulips one fall. Deer ate every one of them, man was I hot. Almost shot a bunch of em. Every year they eat something different. Have even ate holly leaves off my bush. Walk by them and they will cut your arm, but a deer ate them, but only once.

lynnfrwd
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
New Thread started for Weather discussions under Carvoholics. We can continue the tulip and weather topic there. Thay way this thread can get back to the 3/16" carving bit.

CarverJerry
04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I finally got to see how the CW programs were put together, it's all binary Nothing like the G & M codes used in programming larger machines like you see in machine shops. I'm taking classes in CNC programming to continue my machine shop trade, and with this we can rough out stock and go back and finish details. With the CW I can see that it could be done but it would take some work. but would it really save you much time? Not in my opinion. So in short for now, I'd say if you need the detail use the 1/16 carving bit, but for like a large sign or something that doesn't have all the details go with the 3/16 bit. Just my 2¢ worth guys.

CJ

RMarkey
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
That's really short. You could easily damage your machine trying to carve something deep w/ this one.

Hey Ron, any chance of a 3/16 rock chuck adapter? I found these and they would probably work but I've no way to get them into my rock chuck

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/32607/name/4-Flute+Solid+Carbide+Ball+Nose+End+Mills+(WT)?utm_m edium=cpc&utm_source=froog

Lawrence

Kenm810
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
The Photo is a little deceiving The Flutes are only 5/8" and the overall Bit is 2 1/2"
that looks like it leaves 1 7/8" of Shaft above the Flutes.

lawrence
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I might try one just for kicks... but I'm waiting for Ron to come out with a 3/16 sleeve

Lawrence

AskBud
04-26-2011, 02:41 AM
I might try one just for kicks... but I'm waiting for Ron to come out with a 3/16 sleeve

Lawrence
Be careful! What is pictured is not a carving Bit as LHR uses. It's just a Round Nose. It will not attain the same contour as the tapered carving bit.
AskBud

liquidguitars
04-26-2011, 03:22 AM
The Photo is a little deceiving The Flutes are only 5/8" and the overall Bit is 2 1/2"
that looks like it leaves 1 7/8" of Shaft above the Flutes.

Warning, I think you will need a bit that has minuim of .90" DOC "depth of cut" or it will rub on the carbide bit's shank when carving and pop a spindle retainer or worse if you factor .808 as the deepest cut.

liquidguitars
04-26-2011, 03:36 AM

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

I think it's the standard 1/4" shank with the .50" sleave. I will look in the morning.

lawrence
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks all-- I'm going to put on the brakes untill I understand more. I've heard that Ron is going to be coming out with some options as well and I'll be weighing all my purchase options once I have a clearer idea of what is required. I appreciate all of the inputs.

Lawrence

mtylerfl
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks all-- I'm going to put on the brakes untill I understand more. I've heard that Ron is going to be coming out with some options as well and I'll be weighing all my purchase options once I have a clearer idea of what is required. I appreciate all of the inputs.

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

The CW 3/16" carving bit has a 1/2" pressed-on steel sleeve, so it will fit any 1/2" chuck. (Also, yes, the shank of the bit itself is 1/4".) Hope that helps.

Icutone2
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Greetings all, I just opened a drawing in the designer and switch the bit back and forth you will see the job it does as you switch between bits.
Lee

unitedcases
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Just wanted to drop a line about the 3/16 bit. It is awesome. One of the biggest things I like about it is that it is easier to clean out the flutes, after every carve I spray some oven cleaner on my bits and this thing just wipes right off. You can actually press a rag in the flutes to wipe them out. I think this bit might actually last longer than the 1/16th just for that reason. It just seems to breathe easier. Secondly I took a carve that took 4:30 hours on normal and now it carves at 3:15 on best. You save time there plus when sanding and what not it is easier and faster as well. Just saying...

ktjwilliams
05-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I use a 3/16--2 flute Carbide ball end mill, I have one of Dan's converted ER11 spindles in my machine.. Between the spindle, the new bearings I put on the spindle and the 3/16 carbide ball end mill,,, I get really super results,, Sanding for the most part has been eliminated, Little or No fuzzies even in pine... the 2 flutes work great, very smooth finish, even in pine...