PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box / Birthday Gift

quarrydesigns
04-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Jewelry box / Birthday present wood is American Chestnut reclaimed from and old barn, I call this design the Tumblehome Box due to the shape of the sides. I have produced several of these boxes with plain / routed tops this is the first to have a carved top.

Daniel Smith
Quarry Designs Wood Working
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

gregsolano
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
This is a really nice box, did you do the box joints on the CW or with router or table saw?

atauer
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
This is a really nice box, did you do the box joints on the CW or with router or table saw?

I would like to know that as well. That is a great looking box Daniel.

quarrydesigns
04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
The sides and joints are done on router table, I've been doing this same box for a couple of years so I have a box joint jig that I made to do the joints, the side profile is done with a panel raising bit.

Hope to do some more carved / personalized tops this spring.

Daniel

gregsolano
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
You can do the side profile on the CW as well, I have never done the joints on one. I always use my dovetail jig or my box joint jig as well. Here is pic that shows a box with the sides done on the CW. I also attached the MPC's which are divided into the two sides and the lid.

SharonB
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Daniel....I like the design you put on the top...simple yet eligant.

quarrydesigns
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
The way I do the box, I cut the sides 8 3/4 x 2 1/2 and the ends 6 3/4 x 2 1/2 cut the finger joints using the router table / shop made jig, glue up the box, then after about an hour for the the glue to set I use the panel raising bit a tall zero clearance fence and a backup block to profile cut all 4 sides usually taking 3 passes to get full depth. The total time on the router is about 15 minutes for a complete box.

Like I said I was doing this box before I got my CW now that I can do the carved / personalized lids hopefully can get orders for some more.

quarrydesigns
04-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks when I use this old growth chestnut I try to keep it simple, let the wood speak for itself..

gregsolano
04-20-2011, 01:00 PM

I agree, great design and the knob in the center was a great touch as well.

mikemotherway
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I'm a beginner. I downloaded the heart box project files you posted. When I carve the pieces... long side to start.... I get 1/4" lip along the top but the piece is very close to the edge of the board. The board is 5.447. If I make the board wider, real board that is, I can get added "lip" on the bottom edge. How would I get it added to the top? I know this is basic. Just missing something. Trying to replicate what you've posted.

Maybe a better question.... Is there a simple way to create an offset from the top board edge to the pattern? I'd basically like to create a 1/2" offset to accommodate rollers.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

quarrydesigns
04-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I'm a beginner. I downloaded the heart box project files you posted. When I carve the pieces... long side to start.... I get 1/4" lip along the top but the piece is very close to the edge of the board. The board is 5.447. If I make the board wider, real board that is, I can get added "lip" on the bottom edge. How would I get it added to the top? I know this is basic. Just missing something. Trying to replicate what you've posted.

Maybe a better question.... Is there a simple way to create an offset from the top board edge to the pattern? I'd basically like to create a 1/2" offset to accommodate rollers.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

The project board for that one is 6" x 24" so your actual board needs to be at least 6" x 31" when the machine measures the board as being at least 6" wide it will then ask how you want it positioned just select center on board and it will do it for you..

mikemotherway
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks. That helps a lot. Is there a minimum recommended amount to make the project board wider than the virtual board?

AskBud
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks. That helps a lot. Is there a minimum recommended amount to make the project board wider than the virtual board?
Mike,
I'm sending you a private message.
AskBud

mikemotherway
04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bud. Good talking with you. Very helpful... Thanks. There's a lot to digest between software features, understanding the functionality of the machine, as well as understand the design and the designer's approach.
You gave a good lesson !:):)