PDA

View Full Version : On the Verge of Throwing This Machine Away

Jossef
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Can someone please tell me how to carve this pattern!! I have seven of these to make all with different names. First off I have the old quick release bit holder. I just can't buy the new parts right now. It takes me nearly 30 minutes to change the bit. Today i started this pattern trying to cut two at once one on each end of the board. It has always started on the right side. Now when I try to use just one on the board it starts on the left. Also when I tried to do one today it cut the pattern smaller than I wanted. I also got a Z Stall Error 303. That was a first for me. I know this makes no sense as to what I am doing. I am on a schedule to when I have to have these done. Also, when I try to load the program it takes nearly 5 minutes before it starts the homing process.

Thanks43832

quarrydesigns
04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Several more questions that need to be answered..

Is the acutal board at least 7" longer than the pattern board?

Did you answer yes or no to stay under rollers?

Did you answer yes or no to scale to fit?

Remember that when carving the "top" of the project will be toward the keypad side of the machine. Not sure what your are referring to when you say it starts on the left...

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable users will comment shortly...

DickB
04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I found that I needed to lube the QC generously and often to keep it working. Seriously - every time you change bits. As long as I did that, I would avoid jambs.

Your project is carved upside-down as you view your project in Designer. So if you have two patterns on the board, when flipped upside down it doesn't matter, you still have a pattern on both the left and the right side. However, when you put only one pattern on the right side, flipped upside down that will be to the left.

As quarrydesigns implied, remember that you should load a board that is at least 7" longer than what you have specified in designer if you place patterns near the edge of the board, as you have done. Then you need to specify to stay under the rollers. If you did not load a longer board, and to also said stay under the rollers, the machine has to shrink your project to stay under the rollers.

Z-stall can be lots of different causes. A search on that error code is your best bet for help.

I've never encountered or heard of a 5-minute delay; that one has me puzzled. If it were me, i'd at least try reformatting my card.

hray
04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
jossef i have new qc never used you can have it if so send me a privet msg

SharonB
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Jossef....I think I have a new QC out in the shop. But I do have lots of bit adapters (some from LHR and the ones that Sears was selling). You are welcome to all of it for the postage. Just send me a private message with address, etc.

cestout
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Besides lubing your QC, check the set screws on the bit adapter every time. They tend to back out and jam the bit in the holder.
Clint

RanUtah
04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a new one too and your welcome to it. Did you get the project going yet?

jaroot
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Jossef

A z stall can be from junk building up between the rollers and the vertical rails on the z truck. Also had it happen when I didn't get a QC bit seated completely and it slipped down.

As soon as you possible can, and I know about tight money, get a CT chuck or a Rock chuck. The moment we changed ours it started to become a machine that I love to play with instead of hating to go near.

Good Luck!

Jim (WB Bear) Root

Jossef
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Thank you all for the advice on my problem that I am having. Thank you also to everyone who offered me a new QC. I have cleaned it good and use grease on it and it seems to be good. The biggest problem that I am running into is that I keep getting a Z truck stall Error 303. This is very frustrating and like someone said, I don't even won't to go near the Cravewright anymore. I got the error tonight when I stopped the machine to vacuum it out. As soon as I pressed ENTER I got the Z stall.

tcough3475
04-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Jossef,
I understand your frustrations and almost put my CW up for sale before I did a few things that have completly changed my opinion about this machine. First, and all will agree, the most important thing you can do is to keep the machine clean. Second, as JAROOT mentioned, the surfaces between the rails and bearings will build up small amounts of dust, grease, etc. Once this happened to me, I was always getting x- y- and z-axis errors. My solutions were to 1) relax the off-center bearings just a bit, maybe a 1/8th or 1/4th turn. I didn't see any noticable drop in the quality of the finished carve, but since doing this, I haven't recieved an single error; and 2) never press the sliding guide plate snug against the board your using, allow about a 1/16th of an inch to allow for any variance in the width of the board.

Just my 2 cents worth, good luck.

Tracy

Jossef
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the advice here. My biggest problem is that I am not sure what you are talking about other than the sliding guide. What are you referring to when you wrote about relaxing the off center bearing?? I am not sure what JAROOT meant about the surface between the rails and the bearings. One other question I have is if I need to stop the machine for a while does it hurt the carver to leave power on it. The pieces I am working on take a long time to cut especially the letters because of the font. If i don't get done at night can I leave the machine powered up over night without hurting it.

Jossef

Jossef
04-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice here. My biggest problem is that I am not sure what you are talking about other than the sliding guide. What are you referring to when you wrote about relaxing the off center bearing?? I am not sure what JAROOT meant about the surface between the rails and the bearings. One other question I have is if I need to stop the machine for a while does it hurt the carver to leave power on it. The pieces I am working on take a long time to cut especially the letters because of the font. If i don't get done at night can I leave the machine powered up over night without hurting it.

Jossef

fwharris
04-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Jossef

Jossef,

Yes you can "pause" the carving and come back to it later. To do so press the "stop" button ONCE then raise the cover. Very important to only press the stop button once, if more than once you will abort the carving. To resume close the cover, you should have a prompt to "close cover".. press enter. Next prompt should be do you want to continue "press enter"the carve or abort "press stop". Of course press enter..

Jossef
04-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Can anyone tell me how to fix the z axis stall. I have seen many different possible causes but no real solutions. Even doing a search tells me possible causes. I have had suggestions about loosening bearings but no explanation of what bearings they are referring to. Is there a site that I can go to that shows all these different parts. When the Error 313 shows up it doesn't give an option to repair it and then go on, only to press stop and then the project is ruined. Is this a case where I need to box up the machine and send it to LHR for repair?

Thanks,
Joe

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Joe,

No need to send it to LHR.... YOU can fix it with our help....

Do you get the Error as soon as you start up?

The big flat FFC Cable is the most common failure....
The Encoder on the back of the Z is dirty or the clear disk is spinning on the shaft.... Glue will fix it.....
Could be a L2 Power Supply problem.....

You can call me and I can walk you through some things to check... My number is on the bottom of my web pages below.

AL

Jossef
04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
It does not show the error till it is cutting. Sometimes just a few minutes after it starts, sometimes about half way through the cut and tonight it failed at 96% complete. I will call you tomorrow evening and see if you can help with this problem.

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
That sounds like a dirty Z Encoder or a Clear Encoder Wheel spinning on Z shaft or a bad FFC Cable....

You could order a FFC Cable and a Z Motor.... Much cheaper than shipping the unit....

Look forward to your call.

AL