PDA

View Full Version : Why won't this board measure correctly?

Shacky
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
From the pictures you can see that I have a glued up 40" board. I ran masking tape down the middle and on the edges. I even marked the end edges with magic marker to make the end quite well defined.

I have masking tape on the bottom edges for the brass roller. The board seems quite flat and when the machine measures it, it stays straight over the brass roller and I can see it turning the entire time. The machine seems to see the ends of the board but over and over it "33.265 Scale to length" when the board is 40 inches.

The board is two pieces of 8 inch lumber so it measures about 14.5 wide.

I tried flipping and turning the board and get the same thing every time. I cleaned the board sensor with alcohol and a swap and compressed air and it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

AskBud
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
From the pictures you can see that I have a glued up 40" board. I ran masking tape down the middle and on the edges. I even marked the end edges with magic marker to make the end quite well defined.

I have masking tape on the bottom edges for the brass roller. The board seems quite flat and when the machine measures it, it stays straight over the brass roller and I can see it turning the entire time. The machine seems to see the ends of the board but over and over it "33.265 Scale to length" when the board is 40 inches.

The board is two pieces of 8 inch lumber so it measures about 14.5 wide.

I tried flipping and turning the board and get the same thing every time. I cleaned the board sensor with alcohol and a swap and compressed air and it makes no difference.

Any ideas?
I suspect that you are using a designed project that calls for a 40" board. You have further said "stay under rollers". This prompts the machine to look for a board 7" longer. However, after it subtracts the needed extra 7", it only sees 33+" which forces the "Scale to fit" prompt.

We could verify this if you attach your MPC.
AskBud

Shacky
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Dangit! That was so obvious!!!!! I can't believe I did that.... I was looking so hard I overlooked the obvious. Thanks, Bud!