PDA

View Full Version : My QC.... Interesting

ktjwilliams
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
My QC has been working fine for sometime, I think I was lucky and got one that was well balanced and stable, it was very quite, vibration free and little to no run out. Recently A bit got stuck in there and that seemed to be it's demise. It started eating the studs off my adapters.. I been following the thread on the ER11 spindle and think I'm gonna do it when all the info is available. In the mean time, Over the years I bought a lot of the QC that sears once sold for routers of various sizes and treads. When they were on clearance I bought all that I could find, I have these on at least 8 of my routers.. I went to my Router cabinet and found a dozen or so QC of different sizes... I picked one that had a smaller diam. and was a little longer then the machine QC. Installed it on the machine and gave it a test run... It was quite, vibration free even on deep routing, and I haven't noticed any major run out. I think This 1 because of it smaller Diam. and longer length seems to run quiter and smoother.. The only thing is the bit change tool don't work on this QC so I have to load and unload the bits by hand.... But I can handle that until I make a tool that will work so I won't keep cutting my fingers,,, Keep forgetting the Damn gloves... Still gonna order the ER11 12mm spindle and bearings... Seems that this set-up gives a lot of flexibility...

bergerud
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Hold off on the er11 12mm shank, I found ones with 10mm shanks. I think these will be easier to convert. Instead of turning the harded, nicely ground 12mm shank end to 10mm, one can make a spacer for the lower bearing. The end result should also be more acurate. Stay tuned.

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-673/ER11-SHANK-10MM-100MM/Detail

I also spent a great deal of time with Sears QC parts to keep my old QC running. The older QC model from Sears was exactly the same as the Carvewright QC except that the slieve which slides into the spindle was a little higher. One only had to grind it down. I also found how to separate the top nut from the bottom taper by drilling small holes. That way one can mix and match parts. Use that top nut that was straight! (See on old post of mine.)

ktjwilliams
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I am Staying Tuned... I will look for that older post... Thx... By the way my E-Mail is KTJ.Williams@verizon.net .... If U prefer to use it feel free..

ktjwilliams
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Well after a week of running nice,, The new QC failed... Pieces of the chuck started chipping off on the inside !!! OH WELL !!!

My QC has been working fine for sometime, I think I was lucky and got one that was well balanced and stable, it was very quite, vibration free and little to no run out. Recently A bit got stuck in there and that seemed to be it's demise. It started eating the studs off my adapters.. I been following the thread on the ER11 spindle and think I'm gonna do it when all the info is available. In the mean time, Over the years I bought a lot of the QC that sears once sold for routers of various sizes and treads. When they were on clearance I bought all that I could find, I have these on at least 8 of my routers.. I went to my Router cabinet and found a dozen or so QC of different sizes... I picked one that had a smaller diam. and was a little longer then the machine QC. Installed it on the machine and gave it a test run... It was quite, vibration free even on deep routing, and I haven't noticed any major run out. I think This 1 because of it smaller Diam. and longer length seems to run quiter and smoother.. The only thing is the bit change tool don't work on this QC so I have to load and unload the bits by hand.... But I can handle that until I make a tool that will work so I won't keep cutting my fingers,,, Keep forgetting the Damn gloves... Still gonna order the ER11 12mm spindle and bearings... Seems that this set-up gives a lot of flexibility...