PDA

View Full Version : Program advise

nodwell
01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Should recieve machine Saturday :D so still playing around with demo software and have a millon projects in mind. This one I need advise on best way to setup in program so any tidbits of knowlege will be much appreciated.

Briefly what I wish to do is start with a piece of ¾” stock and end up with an oval with an outer ring approximately 1” wide by full ¾ thick then step down and create a ledge 1/8” lower and ¼” wide. (This will be used to support a piece of glass.) Finally the center portion will be recessed an additional ¼” with carving/lettering standing proud.

Should I:
1. add outer line and select cutout
2. add middle line, select bit set at 1/8” depth and carve region
3. add last line with inverted pattern/text and carve region (can you carve region with carving bit?)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help….. Don

BobHill
01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Don,

You can do some of what you ask. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 3. add last line with inverted pattern/text and carve region (can you carve region with carving bit?)

Invert what pattern? you can carve the pattern positvely or negatively but at least apparently in this version of the software, you can only create one region, so if you set the depth to 1/8" (0.125) for the middle circle and then try to make another region, say to .0.200 for the inside circle, the lowest region becomes master and thus everything within the middle circle will be 0.200". If you want a cutaway for the glass, however, you can establish the whole area inside the middle circle as a raster and set the depth between the middle and inside circle by it's shade of grey to be at the 50% shade of grey and have the full depth set to 0.250" then have the dog image grey'd accordingly to the shades of gray between 100% depth to that 50% shade. Tricky, but that could be done with experimentation.

I didn't do the raster, but attached is the look with the 0.200 region depth.

Bob

rmacke
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
You could also run the board threw the machine 3 differant times. 1st the small circle with the dog.. set at disired depth.. then 2nd time at the next depth--- then 3rd time at that circles disired depth and to cut circle out..
I think this is what your asking?
rmacke

Jeff_Birt
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Is this what you were after? To get the diffrent carving heights you just have to set the merge style to additive.

BobHill
01-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Jeff,

I don't know what I did wrong, but I can see the double region carves on your example and can even do it on yours, but couldn't when I used his design I couldn't (and still can't) make two regions. If I region carve either circle 2 or 1 first, the depth of circle 2 (outside) circle reigns. Control A shows all objects, but rotation only will give one region. Strange and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with his design, but don't know what. Your design works just fine with two regions on or off or even depth reset.

Bob

nodwell
01-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys, It's starting to get clear what to do.

Hope to start making chips tomorrow :D

If machine does't come in I'll be one bummed out dude.

Don