PDA

View Full Version : Tolerance Rings

bergerud
04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
If you have removed the Carvewright spindle, you will have noticed two "corrugated" rings which surround the outer races of both bearings. These rings have been called “tolerance rings” in previous threads. What is their purpose? There must be a good reason for them because they must thermally insulate the bearings from the truck, which I think, cannot be a good thing. Are they simply a way to avoid having to machine the truck for the bearings. Were they a counter measure for the QC vibration? Are they to deal with thermal expansion? Do the new CarveTight spindles still use them? Anyone have any answers or ideas?

Jeff_Birt
04-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Take a look at: http://www.usatolerancerings.com/

bergerud
04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Jeff. Looks like there are lots of benefits to these rings. I do not think, however, that they do much for cooling the bearings. That begs the next question: do we need ceramic bearings? (Does anyone know if the new CarveTight spindles have steel, ceramic, or hybrid ceramic bearings?)

quarrydesigns
04-16-2011, 01:17 PM
To answer one of your questions, Yes the Carve Tight still uses tolerance rings.. Mine failed after less than 20hrs, thanks to LHR for standing behind the new spindle and replacing my CT assembly for free even though there was no warranty in effect.

Daniel Smith
Quarry Designs Wood Working
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Jeff,

That is a GREAT Webpage.... THANKS.... You Added to my Knowledge on Bearings.... Up until now I knew what they were but not WHY....

THANKS,

AL

bergerud
04-17-2011, 02:23 PM
What about ceramic bearings? Has Carvewright ever used them? Would we be smart to use them or are they an unnecessary expense?