PDA

View Full Version : Needing universal girl and boy figures

trivejb
04-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I am making some signs for a summer camp and one of these is a generic bathroom sign where I need the universal figures for a boy and girl (male and female). I have copied some pictures from the net but they turn out to be poor quality. Don't mind paying a modest amount but where could I find these as shown.
Thanks, Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Take your fuzzy Internet image and make it a pattern and place it on a 14 x 14 board. Draw a Circle the same size as the head.

Either use the line drawing tool to trace the whole image using extra nodes and making a complete path. Go back a second time and clean up the node placements. Remember Designer Paralax... Do your adjusting in the center of the screen. If you work in the left or right side of the screen the parallax takes effect and the line will not be centered over your desired line.

Get it all correct... Make a Carve Region out of it... If you have connected the first and last line drawn it will let you make the carve region. Then in Tools use Outline and outline the Carve Region.... This will eliminate 100 (for example) nodes and make a smooth outline. Delete the Carve Region and the first node drawing... You now have a outline that you can make into a Carve Region or place inside a carve region with a ZERO Depth to make a Island. That would look good...

This is a chance to make a simple piece of ART that you can use later.... and the skills will help you later...

I needed a Tear Drop shape for my Carve Machine and just took 2 circles and 2 rectangles and outlined them....

Good Luck,

AL

Kenm810
04-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Something like this -- the patterns can be split to make individual signs

Ps. Sorry Al I didn't see your explanation till after I posted

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2011, 06:06 PM
That's OK... someone might try it and learn some new skills.... Drop off a fish Dinner to someone and they get a great meal.... Encourage someone to learn to Fish and Cook... Well... A new Skill....

When it came to making a Webpage for my Business I was looking at paying a local Business to developer a Foo Foo Site with lots of Graphics for a mer $2K to start.... Our Cross Road Trucker Buddy ChrisAlb told me one morning a few years ago that he was almost ready to publish his first Website.... I asked how.... ? Yahoo Business... That encouraged me to TRY.... I thought it I got stuck I could just ask ChrisAlb... Well it was EASY and I opened 2 websites and turned my business around.... Sure ChrisAlb could have done it for me.... But my learning a new skill really helped..... As for me and 3D patterns.... When I have the time.... I will learn... for now I just buy them....

AL

bjbethke
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I am making some signs for a summer camp and one of these is a generic bathroom sign where I need the universal figures for a boy and girl (male and female). I have copied some pictures from the net but they turn out to be poor quality. Don't mind paying a modest amount but where could I find these as shown.
Thanks, Jerry

Will these work?

trivejb
04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
What a great forum!!! Everyone is so quick and eager to help, share ideas, methods and even patterns. I'm a new owner of a Carvewright are making these signs is a gift to a religious camp for needy children will number about 25-30+ when I am through. This is a rustic, mountain camp and some of the signs are cut into 6 to 12" round slabs sliced from logs from a maple tree others are in 7" wide cedar. They are really impressed with the quality that the Carvewright machine does and keep coming up new list. This if fun and provides help in an area greatly needed and is a great learning project for me.

Thanks again... Jerry

DickB
04-15-2011, 07:07 PM
One way to clean up edges in a silhouette like this is with my favorite free drawing program, paint.net. Open the image, expand the image size 2x or 4x, blur it, use the magic wand, color inside.

Have you ever used Google image search? I typed in "bathroom figures" and found this hi-res image in a coupe of clicks:
http://www.wpclipart.com/page_frames/full_page_signs/restroom/rest_rooms_page_1.png.html