PDA

View Full Version : Transferring my Favorites.mpn from one computer to another

cnsranch
04-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I know how to get them from one computer to another, my real question is this:

If my Favorites.mpn file in computer one has 50 patterns in it, and my Favorites.mpn file in my second computer has 100 patterns in it (but 75 of them are different from those in computer 1), if I copy the file from computer 2 and paste it into computer 1, will the copy function erase those patterns in computer 1, or will it only transfer the patterns computer one doesn't have?

Windows will ask you if you want to replace files in a folder when moving them, but I don't know about this format.

Like most of us, I work on two computers, and keeping both computers identically updated with pattern files, etc. is a pain.

eelamb
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Jerry, copying the file will overwrite the file. Thus copy from pc1 to pc2. Pc2 will have the same data in the file as pc1 has. It does not add to the file only those that do not exist.

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
But it could over write a older copy and delete the latest..... You almost need to move the latest file from each computer to a new directory then transfer them to both computers... Another way is to rename each file today on one computer with todays date on the end of the file name. Then rename the other computer files with tomorrows date. That way both files transfer to both computers and you don't loose any updates... It will double your file number but the date is the key and you could later delete them....

What I do is in my "My Documents" I have a CarveWright Directory and all my art is there including all my Corel and Pictures... I do backups to 2 different USB Drives once a week.... That might help you move files around....

This is a backup computer and I still have not gone through the long process of re leading every pay pattern into my designer... And the many free patterns.... The pattern License shows up in my Account but I still need to re load them..... Then there is the missing FONTS.... on this backup computer..... I open a CW Sign from last year and get a warning..... Need to load that Font....

Puters.....

AL

DickB
04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
There are free tools to keep two computers in sync. I used to use Microsoft Windows Live to do this at remote locations, but one of my PCs runs XP and Microsoft dropped support for XP. So now I'm using a free Microsoft tool called SyncToy to sync my two computers on the same home network. Not only does it keep both computers in sync, but it provides a backup if I screw one computer up. I don't sync everything; just selective stuff like photos and CarveWright stuff, so it is fairly efficient. You might want to check this out. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52

jaroot
04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi DickB

Is it possible to do this over a wireless network or does it have to hardwire?

Thanks
Jim

TerryT
04-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure sync software can open and add or subtrack from an MPN. But you should be able to rename the MPN you want to move. Then open the computer with both MPN's. Move all of the patterns in MPN #1 to MPN #2 in Designer, then delete MPN #1 then copy the updated MPN to the other computer. ??

DickB
04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Works over wireless.

if you sync before you open work on the 2nd computer, it's all good.

eelamb
04-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Be carefull with sync, for if sync'ing from pc1 to pc2, it will overwrite the files on pc2 with the same file from pc1. Thus favorites.mpn will be the same on both after the sync. Most of the time this is what you want to do, and some sync software will determine which is newest and ask which one to use for the sync. Thus you then get a two way sync. Also another watch out is if you have a file on pc1, and pc2, and you delete the file on pc1 (master sync pc) it may delete the file on pc2 when you sync.

Best way to do this is back it up to a flash drive or external usb hard drive. Open source backup software called cobain ver 8, is great for backup software. just uncheck the check box for updates, for the newer version are not free.

Terry I was not aware you could open two mpn files. I have always just built a new one saving the old mpn under a new name for later use, then load back in the patterns I want in the new favorite.mpn.

TerryT
04-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Terry I was not aware you could open two mpn files.

Yep, ya can. If you do a search you will find posts about folks who end up with two or three "Favorites".

On my machine......
C:\users\Terence (thats me)\carvewright\ I have "favorites.mpn" and "2809.MPN" These show up in designer as "Favorites" and "Arrowheadamimals". You should really buy the arrowhead animals collection in the Carvewright pattern depot!! LOL. Anyway.... I can move patterns from the arrowheadanimals to my Favorites. I just discovered I can't go from Favorites to arrowheadanimals though.

eelamb
04-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks Terry I will have to give that a try.

TerryT
04-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Eddie, I just discovered I could only move the patterns one way. Maybe because the 2809.MPN (arrowheadanimals) is a commercial collection.

cnsranch
04-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Yep, ya can. If you do a search you will find posts about folks who end up with two or three "Favorites".

Terry, I've been one of those guys - as I recall, when Designer was opened, and I clicked on the pattern icon, I'd have two favorites show up on the list. Wouldn't you be able to drag the patterns from there into the other Favorites folder?

bjbethke
04-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I save all my MPN files on a 4GB Hi-Speed Memory Card. When I need to use an older MPN image all I do is double click on the folder and then it will auto load the file to my CW MPN folder. When I finish with the folder I just delete the folder.

I found when my MPN folder gets over 100MB it will slow down the designer program. If it gets very large it will crash the program.

I add a date to the file name when I save the folders.

DickB
04-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Be carefull with sync, for if sync'ing from pc1 to pc2, it will overwrite the files on pc2 with the same file from pc1. .
I'm pretty sure that you can specify what action that you want. In my case, I work on only one PC at a time, because my attempts to duplicate myself have failed, so overwriting is exactly what I want to kep both PCs up to date.

chebytrk
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a wireless network set up and I've made a Carvewright folder that is shared between my PCs in the house. This way when I access that folder with one of my two registered PCs I can view/make and save anything I do with Designer. It works good for me. Both of my PCs are running Win7 Ultimate

DickB
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a wireless network set up and I've made a Carvewright folder that is shared between my PCs in the house. This way when I access that folder with one of my two registered PCs I can view/make and save anything I do with Designer. It works good for me. Both of my PCs are running Win7 Ultimate
Another good solution.

eelamb
04-15-2011, 07:08 PM
chebytrk that is basically what I do. Since my office is in the home, all the PC's in the home and office are attached to a windows 2003 server, I use cobain backup to back up all data from every computer to the server, and then nightly the server is backed up to usb hard drives. Included in the backup is my carvewright folder where all patterns are stored and the mpn folders. I do suggest downloading cobain and set it up (tip: cobain requires a password to run as a service, if you do not use a password, set one up for the administrator account). You can have an icon on the desktop to do the backup anytime you want or make it automatic. And if you need help just send me a pm and I will help. Plus if you can not find the software let me know I will place it on my server for download.

Just for clarity, I use 2 usb drives and switch them out daily, one is always in the fireproof safe.

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Up front apologies Jerry (how ya been BTW buddy) as this question has nothing to do with yours but, I'm trying to slowly get back in the game here and my question is... With all the hardware updates since my last using the CW, should I stick with the last version of Designer I have which is 1.153 or can I go with the latest version even though I still have the QC, no new 3/16 carving bit etc. etc...

As you all know I create patterns to sell and I take it there is a new format (higher bit) for the artwork. I have roughly 60 new patterns but all of them were created before this change. Are they any good still? Will the newest version even recognize them? LOL...OH so many questions.

Anyway, My desktop is a frozen mess right now, my laptop crapped out and I have a new one I'm about to install Designer on so I can get back to working on patterns. The last version I have to install is 1.153. Can I stick with that or do I need to get the latest one to be compatible with you all? Many thanks and..... sorry to once again be a newbie.....LOL

fwharris
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Chris,

Your patterns from old version will work with the latest version of designer. BUT if I was you I would install the new version as they have fixed many bugs and made enhancements with all of the updates with designer and pattern editor. Take a look at the change log file to see what all has been done.

I bet you do feel like a newbie!!

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks FW and it's darn good to hear from you brother! I have the full install for 1.153 on my drive. So I'll start there as I'll have to go through the license process because this will be a fresh install and due to both my older laptop and desktop issue, I don't have a copy of my license file. Hopefully, LHR's server still does....LOL

Yes sir, I certainly do feel like a newbie again. With the exception of doing some artwork that still needs to be converted to patterns, I haven't even had the time to think about the CW since I last participated here on a regular basis. It'll be fun to learn all I've missed.

fwharris
04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Good to hear from me?? There are a lot of carves that are way more glad to see you back in our neck of the woods!!!

Yup you will have to wait till Monday to get your licenses set up on the new comp. You can check your CW info by logging into your account from the help tab. If you have any patterns/projects you can down load to your new comp...

TerryT
04-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Chris, normally I would agree with using the latest version. However, in your case I would have to say use 1.177 not .178. The latest version has a bug that really is a b@t#h for pattern designers. They have it fixed for the next release but in 178 it will drive you nuts. I'm using 1.177

eelamb
04-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Chris nice to see you back, and yes take Terry's advise and install 1.177, the newest one has a few bugs, and 1.177 has the fix for double sided carvings. You will have a lot to catch up on, do a search for conforming vector, a new feature (cost extra) that lets you place center line text on a carved region.

eelamb
04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Terry, tried the second favorites today. Worked great, did notice the new favorites did not allow me to delete, rename, or export the files it contained. Will look into it more later on, to see about renaming the favorite (name in list) to something else. right now It shows two favorites.

ChrisAlb
04-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's much appreciated! Centerline in regions? Been doing that since 1.31....LOL It takes an extra setup step but doable. But they charge extra for it? That seems a tad unfair. But I'll check out the 1.177 version for sure. Thanks again!

RanUtah
04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Long time no see! Of course I cant talk either, I've been gone for a while to and just came back. Good to see you here again. BTW the newest version out is 179.

cnsranch
04-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Sup, Chris?

Looks like you got your answers.

Ring me sometime - hope you're officially back.

Regards.