PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text Depth

Chino
04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi Guys
I've CW user for awhile now. Today I finally got Centerline Text. I used raster style up
till now. I got a side job project to put lettering on some key chains that a customer
wants. The key chain piece will be 1" wide and 4 1/2" long. I played with the Centerline
text today using three different fonts. When setting things up I couldn't find how to
set up depth. I'm I to assume that the software uses a default depth depending on which
font is chosen. I'm using the 60V.
Thanks Chino

quarrydesigns
04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Depth is determined by font stroke width and bit... Cuts how ever deep it takes to get the letter width set by size / style of text the only user control is by bit selection 60V will cut deeper to get same width as compared to 90V

www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com (http://www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com)

AskBud
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
As stated, Centerline text will carve at pre-determined depths (set by the software). It uses the font selected and considers the shading and width of that font. Once brought in to the Designer board, you may sit on the "center line" of any letter, and see the actual depth of carve the bit will cut by looking at the data in the bottom left of your screen. Usually, the widest portion of the carve will be the deepest.

You will also notice that Centerline does not always carve in the sequence you would expect. Do not panic, just allow the machine to do its work!
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15393-Dont-PANIC&highlight=dont+panic

Further, now that you have Centerline you may rapidly find that you would like to place that text in a carve area or have it conform to a pattern/dome surface. LHR now has an add-on called "Conforming Vectors" which does just that.

My "Download" link, below, contains an AVI lesson on Conforming Vectors.
AskBud

CarverJerry
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Also too if you make it BOLD it will cut deeper. I would think something like a small key chain you would use the 60° V tool.

Off subject Chino, where abouts in AZ are you? I lived in Tucson for 10+ years.

CarverJerry

lawrence
04-13-2011, 08:54 PM
if you have the DXF importer there are also ways to adjust the depth of text-- I explained the hows here
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17915-CorelDraw-DXF-Conforming-Vectors-ability-to-mimic-centerline-text-with-bit-depth&p=150720#post150720

I hope this helps, and of course if you're anywhere close to Tucson you're more than welcome to swing by.

Lawrence

Chino
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi CarverJerry
I live in Chino Valley. It's about 15 miles north of Prescott. Been here 15 years. Came from Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. Got tired of the Snow there.
Been playing with different fonts and you're right about what text you use. Thanks

chkorte
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi CarverJerry
I live in Chino Valley. It's about 15 miles north of Prescott. Been here 15 years. Came from Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. Got tired of the Snow there.
Been playing with different fonts and you're right about what text you use. Thanks
Hi Chino
I live where you came from. Would miss the snow.