PDA

View Full Version : Horse Carousel

dougmsbbs
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
A work in process. I'm making this for the wife. She works in polymer clay, and made the horses by hand. Then I scanned them with the CW and made two part molds from rtv silicone, so she can reproduce them as many times as she wants. She's painting them now, and I'll have some photo's when she's done. The one here is just one I made with plastic to see what it would look like in place.
Meanwhile, I designed and cut out the pieces on the CW for the carousel, and I'm in the process of putting it all together. The whole thing stands about 9 inches tall. The top will be covered will different color translucent pieces I'm printing on overhead projector transparencies with my laser printer, and a skirt of the same stuff will go around the bottom.

JDPratt
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Very neat. I look forward to finished pics.

dougmsbbs
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Finally about got it whipped. All the parts were cut on the CW. The horses were designed by my wife, scanned on the CW, and I cut the reverse side and made her a mold. She then painted them.
I put a night light in the center, and the translucent panels on top glow nicely in the dark. I have a few more things to straighten out on it, a couple places that still need the panels trimmed down some, but over all I'm happy with it. Wife loves it, and thats what really counts, I guess.
Now, on to the next project. What to do next??? hmmm....

mtylerfl
04-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Doug, that's a fun project! Congrats on a super job both in imagination and execution!

TerryT
04-19-2011, 08:29 PM
That is a great project Doug. Well done.

eelamb
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Great job Doug.

fwharris
04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Doug,

Great project! Always great the have the boss happy!!

SharonB
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Doug...What a great project. Do you plan on installing a music box?

JDPratt
04-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Very neat and good use of the CW. I agree with Sharon that a music box wood be a neat idea.

dougmsbbs
04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
We (I say 'we', but really I have no say in it! Gotta do what the boss wants, right?), are considering a music box for it. Now we're well into trying to hash out just what music tune should be played. She wants something sweet, I say it should be circus music of some kind. Like the national budget, talks continue....

Thanks everyone! It was a fun project. Now on to the next. She's rolling her eyes right now, because I said how can you have a carousel without a ferris wheel, right? (insert mad scientist grin here, as well as an evil laugh.)