PDA

View Full Version : Missing O ring and damage-help please

Shacky
04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
So, after Michael posted Tips and Tricks on Accurate Board Tracking in one of my threads, I decided to go inspect my brass roller. In that thread, I was getting help cutting out an arc-this damage may be the result of that project, or not. I just noticed it.

As you can see from the picture that the first issue is the rubber O ring is missing. Also, the plate next to it has some damage from the cutting bit. It is intact, but the surface is a bit chewed up. I could probably file it down, but I'm not familiar with it's function, so maybe it's more serious than that and needs to be replaced.

So, what do I need to do to get my machine back to normal?

This came at a lousy time for me as my seasonal business is just reopening. I guess that's the way it goes.

Smoken D
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Here is a thread I did on the same problem. I never had a bit keep on spinning when it touched the plate on the brass roller till one of the upgrades. I believe that is the problem since several folks have had this problem. Here is the thread about it, and I believe in response #12 or there a bouts you will see the same photos as you posted that I did. Oh yes if you order a new tracking part and you have the upgraded rubber belt, make sure they send you the larger O ring because the larger one does not come with the new tracking part. Found that out the hard way, and if you call them back about the larger O ring they will tell you yes you need it, but will not offer to send you the correct part. Here is the thread;

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16840-Z-stall-error-313/page2

Shacky
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Bud,

What about that other part in the picture. It looks like a plate of some sort. Can I just smooth that out with a Dremel or does it need to be replaced?

AskBud
04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Bud,

What about that other part in the picture. It looks like a plate of some sort. Can I just smooth that out with a Dremel or does it need to be replaced?
You should be OK to just make sure the plate is smooth enough to have no raised barbs that can catch the wood.
It is part of the Brass roller assembly on page #6 of the parts manual.
108 Board Tracking Encoder Assembly MWM A2076
AskBud

mtylerfl
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
So, after Michael posted Tips and Tricks on Accurate Board Tracking in one of my threads, I decided to go inspect my brass roller. In that thread, I was getting help cutting out an arc-this damage may be the result of that project, or not. I just noticed it.

As you can see from the picture that the first issue is the rubber O ring is missing. Also, the plate next to it has some damage from the cutting bit. It is intact, but the surface is a bit chewed up. I could probably file it down, but I'm not familiar with it's function, so maybe it's more serious than that and needs to be replaced.

So, what do I need to do to get my machine back to normal?

This came at a lousy time for me as my seasonal business is just reopening. I guess that's the way it goes.

Hi Shacky,

Here's some more info about O-ring sizes for you (and anyone else whom it may help in the future)...

Look at the photos posted below to determine whether you have the "original" or the "new" brass sensor, then...

Original sensor O-ring size is: 5/16" ID X 7/16" OD (got mine at Home Depot plumbing Dept.)

New sensor O-ring size is: 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD (got mine from www.McMaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/) Part Number: 9557K462 $4.39 for 100 of 'em!)
(Actual Inside Diameter is 0.239"...Actual Outside Diameter is 0.379")

(NOTE: Shacky - you will need the NEW O-ring.) As far as the damaged plate - you may fill it with JB Weld or epoxy to make it flat again. Please avoid placing cutouts within less than 1/2" of the top of your board layout/design. Even though the software will "know" about the possible collision with the plate and leave wood underneath the brass roller area (ONLY when using the CUT PATH feature), I myself will not take the chance. Either I will glue up a wider board if necessary to have that safety margin, or use a sled with rails, or would simply "score" the line at a shallow depth and manually cut out with my band saw.

www.carvenow.com
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Great info. I got my o-ring slipped and stuck once in awhile. So check them often!

Shacky
04-12-2011, 09:03 PM
As I was installing the new O ring, I noticed that the brass roller didnt turn very easily. So I poked around and found that my original one was still there, just pushed in out of sight and binding up the roller. Using a nail I persuaded it out and back into place. Now the roller turns easily and the O ring looks OK.

I gave the damage on the plate a light filing and filled the groove with some JB Weld type of putty.

So, I think I'm back in business. Thanks again for the help!

mtylerfl
04-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Good job, Shacky!

CarverJerry
04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Talking about the plate, I had posted a question a while back about why my plate was cut up a little. Mr. Al who, informed me that my cut motor brushes were worn and letting the motor keep spinning a little too long so when the tool goes down it would cut the plate. My machine was close to the 250 hours and a new set of brushes did make the cut motor stop before it does it's dive towards the plate. Just thought I'd pass that along. Here's the thread to that... http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17289-know-what-this-is

Icutone2
02-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the posts Great reading and a refresher on things forgotten.
Thanks All Old thread worth looking at again
Lee