PDA

View Full Version : Large Sign

chebytrk
04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm making a sign that's 48"x11". I seem to recall someone recommending what V bit to use and the depth to set it at to have it show up really well. the sign will just state "it's great to be a Mason". Just want the writing to stand out real good. I'm sure it's a V90, but is there a recommended depth?

AskBud
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm making a sign that's 48"x11". I seem to recall someone recommending what V bit to use and the depth to set it at to have it show up really well. the sign will just state "it's great to be a Mason". Just want the writing to stand out real good. I'm sure it's a V90, but is there a recommended depth?
If you are talking about Centerline Text, the depth will be determined by the Font and size of the Text. It is a predetermined setting by the unit, you don't have much control.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2011, 09:08 PM
There is more than one way to skin this cat.... V Text is good....

But there is a alternate.... Outline Text.... Yes Outline Text..... But not in the way you are thinking.... a line around a T.....

I needed to simulate the look of how hand router letter looked using plastic template like the 2 inch letters we have all seen....

My solution was to use a SINGLE STROKE Font like Modern. I then selected Outline Text. Then selected the 3/8 inch plunge bit. The 3/8 Calibration bit will work as it is a plunge bit. I buy the 1/4 inch shank Plunge Bits from MCLS all the way up to 3/4. Set the Depth to .1 and your all set..... Make the text TOO SMALL and the center of the "A" will chip or dissapear.....

For a 2.25 high letter the 3/8 bit works.

Increase the size of the letters you can go to the next bigger size bit as you get bigger to prevent the wood from being left in the center.

Get maxed out..... Use a clean up Vector Line down the center.... This will make a FLAT Bottom TEXT.... I use .1 deep..... does not need to be much....

The 17 sign was just outlined and the center painted....

As of today I have 11 4 x 4 post signs to make.... And I am in the middle of 4 Fire Tag orders and 3 Accountability Tag Orders... Stopped to do Taxes.... And play on the CW Forum.... Plus make samples for a Allentown PA Fire Show on the 17th that my buddy Tim will do for me.

Good Luck,

AL