PDA

View Full Version : Where did that Forum name come from????

cnsranch
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
We all wonder where "one of those" Forum names came from - it's often what we don't expect.

So, here's the thread to "clear the confusion".

I'll start.......

We live on a place south of town - got some acreage with it.

Kansas is typically flat as a pancake, but our's is set on a high hill that gives us a pretty good view (for Kansas, remember?)

When the LOML and I saw the place for the first time, I asked her what she thought.

She said "It's cooler 'n shi*!"

Hence, cnsranch.

Now you know.

atauer
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
lol

Good one Jerry. Love the true meaning behind the name.

Mine is fairly simple, but does have a hidden meaning.

First initial, last name.

Also, I was quite a bit bigger than the others growing up, (height wise), and the kids used to call me a tower...

jaroot
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Mine's real exciting also! First initial, middle initial and last name. It's the username that I've been using since back in the Compuserve days. Remember those? Command line, text pages. No WWW. 110 baud. (That's not 110K baud) <insert smiley here>

dougmsbbs
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
The first half of mine is easy: my first name. The second part actually is a nod to my dad. When I got him set up and using a computer, he added a 'wbbs' to his user name. It stands for 'Worlds Biggest Bull Sh*!er'. So, out of respect for my dear old dad, I started to use 'sbbs'. Stands for 'Second Biggest Bull Sh*!er'. See, now THATS respect for my elder!

quarrydesigns
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
No real mystery.. Name of my business, which comes from the fact that there is an abandoned limestone quarry on our property Quarry Designs...

www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

Smoken D
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh, why on earth do I want to admit, I must be out of my mind.
Well, My last 2 years on the job I worked with guys, and gals, that were way younger than me. In fact some had mothers younger than me. Anyway, they gave the ole man the name of Big D. Then one day the guys were talking about vasectomy. Me having had one told this young fellow it was nothing. So, I told him my story which goes like this, a short version. While on the birthing contraption and lying on my back. Feeliing the tugging etc. I decided to look up and see what the heck was going on. As I looked up and saw this curtain across my mid section, I noticed smoke coming up from the other side of this curtain and the doctor bent over behind the curtain. My first thought was, "what the heck is this guy doing smoking a cigarette down there why he is doing this job". AS I was about to say something a little unkind, I came to my senses and realized he was not smoking, but that it was me that was smoking.(Being Cauterized) At that moment I decided I should probably just go ahead and put my head back down and just close my eyes.
Hence the guys decided to change my name from "Big D" to "Smoken D"

And you guys thought it had something to do with woodworking?

fwharris
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Simple also with a connection back to my Dad. He is Fred W Harris and signed off or tagged most items with FWHarris. Me being Floyd just fell into place....

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Digitalwoodshop.... I dreamed of getting a Laser Engraver since I had seen my first in south LA in 94 at a American Woodworking Show.... The Epilog Laser Guy put my Navy ID on a piece of Wood the same size.... He was doing Business cards or what ever you wanted...

It made a for a little humor when I would show it to the San Diego Base Gate Guard, usually a Marine to gain access to the base. Telling him I was so Old I had a wooden Navy ID Card... Most saw the humor.... some NOT... I would have my plastic ID ready....

So fast forward to Philly... I was working at the Sony Service Center and started dreaming of having a Laser Engraver.... Bought my first as a trade in.... Decided to start the Business... Searched Domain Names... Digitalwoodshop.com looked like the winner.... It was avaliable... Wanted to sleep on it... Next night I went back with my Credit Card and to my surprise it was taken.... And a place holder with a not that it was available for something like $5K.... Don't remember... Someone had seen my search.... A Dumpster diver or ??

So then it became Pocono Digital Woodshop.... And I signed up that night..... Digitalwoodshop was available as a AOL user name so that is where I stuck with it... A search of Digitalwoodshop will bring up many pages... I am a posting FOOL.... And use digitalwoodshop in many forums... You could write a book about me for as much info is out there in Cyber Space..... The most Humorous are the Sea Stories I posted to the USS Buchanan Yahoo group the last ship I was on.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.....

And the AL Who.... When I called LHR one time and said it was AL digitalwoodshop... The Tech said AL WHO??? I thought that was funny.... When I called LHR today the Tech Robert said He had followed my posts.... Looks like I have finally made it.....

In my dreams....

AL

Gary Koval
04-12-2011, 08:59 AM
My AKA. What you don't believe me? Okay I lied, I didn't know what I was doing when I completed the app for the site. Man you guys are tough! Now the truth is out!!!
Gary Koval,
AKA- Gary Koval

Kenm810
04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Some of the Old Timer's might remember when I first Logged on to the Forum as (Doc)
It was a nickname I was given years ago while an Army Medic -- soon there were several (Doc's and Ken's) on the forum
So I switched to (Kenm810) which was the first part of my call sign while I was into Shortwave and CB radios 40 years ago,
and now it has remained my CW Forum Name for the last 4 years.

Ps. I'm the Guy on the Right!

cestout
04-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I started a temporary job, to get me thru college, with Pacific Bell in '61. I was one of the first in computerized switching in '68. In the mid 70s we started using mini computers ( not room size, only large refrigerator size) to monitor the computerized switches remotely. We needed a login, so I used my first 2 initials and the start of my loooong last name - cestout. My father's friends used to call him stout, and he was a little, and I was getting that way. 40 years later I retired from that temp job still using that login and to this day - since I am old a senile - I still do. I change passwords depending on the level of security needed. My login for the store is the same but the password for the store is my secure one. If anyone is ever in Hyde park NY, my family ancestral home is there and the family cemetery with some Revolutionary War solders with my last name.
Clint

lynnfrwd
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, I don't remember how it came about or even have a cool story to go along with it, but Lynn is my middle name and FRWD is an abbreviated version of Friendswood, the town that I live in.

Connie

lawrence
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Um... mine is my name....

Deolman
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Many years ago I brought home my first PC. That was way back when my kid was a teenager. The two of us used to compete with the games I had on it. Of course we had to put our names on the scores. When I signed it dad, it somehow frustrated my boy. I started signing deolman - short for the old man. Once I started signing that way it turned into a friendly rivalry between us. Since then he has (affectionately ?) called me deolman. When I started joining forums, the name followed me.

JDPratt
04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Mine is my name (initials and last name). I am a member of so many different woodworker forums that I could never keep track of all the different user names. Some of them require that you use your real name (i.e. Sawmillcreek).

John

chebytrk
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Some of the Old Timer's might remember when I first Logged on to the Forum as (Doc)
It was a nickname I was given years ago while an Army Medic -- soon there were several (Doc's and Ken's) on the forum
So I switched to (Kenm810) which was the first part of my call sign while I was into Shortwave and CB radios 40 years ago,
and now it has remained my CW Forum Name for the last 4 years.

Ps. I'm the Guy on the Right!

so I finally get to put a face on the Obie Kanobie Ken810 ! cool beans!

eromran
04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
My last name is Narmore. I dont really like putting my name out there much and since dyslexia rears its head sometimes i thought "eromran" was appropriate.
One word i have always got right was "racecar" same forward as it is backwards.

Capt Bruce
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Served as a Captain aboard the Stone Mountain Park Side Wheel Packet Riverboat Scarlett O'Hara wearing the uniform in my avatar and the name tag reading "Captain Bruce." It just kind of followed me from there (plus having retired at that rank from the Navy). Easier than having people misspell my name all my life. I should have just given in and changed it to McKinney or Kenney or MacKinnon years ago.

Bringing back another 150 mariners from a safe and enjoyable 20 minute cruise.

pkunk
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Mine's first initial & first 4 of my surname. Been the same on the net since the mid 80's. I do change my avatar once in a while as I get older......time for a new one, I guess.

Kenm810
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Don't Know about that Paul,
I kinda like seeing someone else with a stash
under his nose the same color as mine.

pkunk
04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Don't Know about that Paul,
I kinda like seeing someone else with a stash
under his nose the same color as mine.
It's still there........my face has gotten a little thinner these days and I could change my shirt. ;>)

Fletcher
04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Mine is the name of an awesome little terrier we used to have, Fletcher. I've had many dogs but that one was almost human, he was so smart.

eelamb
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Mine came from early days on an IBM 3270. When I loaded punch cards in, I had to sign in, and their requirements were first initial second initial, and 4 characters of last name. Just so happen my last name was only 4 characters. So there it is eelamb.

Ken I liked your little image of pkunk and decided to make a pattern from it.

gregsolano
04-16-2011, 12:20 AM
First computer I learned on was the IBM 3270 in High School. A few years later I built a heathkit Timex Sinclair membrane computer which used a Cassette tape deck for storage. You just brought back some memories. Hours and Hours of programing just to play tic tac toe or pong. LOL

jaroot
04-16-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm starting to see a pattern. A number of us are a bunch of old computer geeks. That kind of explains why we carve wood with robots.<-insert smiley

RMarkey
04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Mine comes from "The Savage Sword of Conan" #73 from 1974.