PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor sign materials?

jaustin
04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
What type of wood do you use for outside signs?

Dan-Woodman
04-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Western red cedar, cedar, White Oak ,Ash are all poular outdoor woods. Some even use the new man made decking materials,CCA, Corian, sign foam, etc.
later Daniel

cnsranch
04-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Dan

What do you use for outdoor finishes in this neck of the woods?

Dan-Woodman
04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Jerry
Minwax outdoor "Clearshield" is the can I have in front of me. I don't do too many outdoor projects but I just go to HD or Lowe's and look at everything thats available .
later Daniel

mikemotherway
04-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi,
Have you used sign foam with the CW? wondering if this is an option.
thanks

Kenm810
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
If you do a quick Forum Search -- key words like (Sign Foam, Signfoam, or just Foam)
you'll find several posts from folks that have and do carve High Density form with their CW and CC machines

Professional Sign Board Material (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?11324-Professional-Sign-Board-Material&highlight=signfoam)

jaroot
04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I have some samples of HDP foam, i.e. Sign Foam. But I've not had a chance to try it out yet. The three samples that I've got are three differnt densities. All would have to be painted. (Unless you wanted your sign pink, yellow or orange) I'll see about thinking up a project and give it a go this week or so and post the results.

Digitalwoodshop
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I use clear pine for the most part as I prime and paint the signs 3 times. So it is more like a house....

I have a local Park project to make 2 play ground signs. I am going to use PVC Board..... and paint them..... Centerline Text.

Ike has the best.... Old Growth Redwood.

AL

gwhiz
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I have some samples of HDP foam, i.e. Sign Foam. But I've not had a chance to try it out yet. The three samples that I've got are three differnt densities. All would have to be painted. (Unless you wanted your sign pink, yellow or orange) I'll see about thinking up a project and give it a go this week or so and post the results.

I got the same sample pack and I've carved the two heavier densities....it carves great!

jaroot
04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm carving a little sign for my foster-daugher's door and it is looking pretty good so far.

I got the same sample pack and I've carved the two heavier densities....it carves great!

Kenm810
04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
If anyone is interested in carving some samples or has additional questions about working with SignFoam3
there's lots of info here -- http://www.signfoam.com/distributory.php?mode=from_location

RogerB
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Dan-Woodman is bang on on the wood all very good for outdoors do not use wood over 3 to 4 inch. wide. Glue up with an epoxy like west system very good for outside and your sign will not warp. Cedar gives a very fine dust gets into everything clean good after carve.

RogerB

jaroot
04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Well here is my test carve.

I'm really pleased with the result!

jaustin
04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
looks good, how was the clean up of the machine?

jaroot
04-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I just installed Fletcher's DC head, I had Fredrick's installed before, and unlike other plastics that I've carved this stuff doesn't seem to have that static cling so most of it went into the DC unit. I couldn't be happier with the material.

looks good, how was the clean up of the machine?