PDA

View Full Version : I finally broke it - Help, AW

cnsranch
04-09-2011, 12:28 PM
After three years, I finally broke the machine. Operator error, pure and simple.

It's the stage 2 X-gear - jammed a sled with a board that was a little thinner than the sled, and when the roller hit that edge, pop!.

So, my first order for parts......but here's another problem -

I'm going to attach an MPC of a carve I was originally trying to carve a test of this morning - set of grips for a 1911.

Designer has the board settings at 2"W x 9.25"L x .375 thick (I think that's the thickness). My real board was 2.1x18x9/16 thick. I know the board was thicker than Designer, but this was just a test.

Kept getting a z-axis stall when the cutting bit was homing on the keypad side. Bit would go down to touch, and I'd get the stall - it would stall just as it touched the plate by the brass roller. Thought there may be a problem with the cutting bit, so I changed to the carving bit, just to see if I could get past the error - no soap.

So, I went ahead and loaded up another project just to see if there was a problem with the grip MPC, or the cutting bit, etc. - That's when, getting into a hurry, I blew the x axis gear.

Now that I've got a non-operating machine (at least until I replace the gear), any ideas why I was getting the stall? I have to order the gear, do I need to order anything else that could have caused this error?

Or, it's only a 45 minute carve, anyone want to give it a go and see if they get the same error?

Guess I'll order brushes as well, any other items I need to put on the shopping list?

Thanks, guys (dammit).

AskBud
04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Dumb question!
.375 is too thin, are also using a sled?
AskBud

Dan-Woodman
04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Hey Jerry
If your useing this thickness of board by itself , it's too thin. If your useing a sled I think it should work,but theres a place to put in board thickness , or project thickness.
I would say your welcome to come over and carve your project here but my machine quick the same time my voice gave out, still don't have either one fixed.
later Daniel

cnsranch
04-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks, guys.

Bud, my real board is over .5" - I thought I'd be ok.

I intended to use a sled when I loaded up the good stuff (trying some bloodwood).

Digitalwoodshop
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Many things could have broken the gear but not much related to the .mpc

I would inspect for a rolled under belt. Loose top board on sled.

AL

jaroot
04-09-2011, 08:15 PM
In my case the gear box was just full of gunk! Very few hours at the time. I guess "refurbished" didn't include "gunk" removal! :)<- should be smiley

gunk [guhngk]

noun Informal .
any sticky or greasy residue or accumulation: gunk in the x gear box.

Digitalwoodshop
04-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Where the cover passes over the center raise and lower shaft is a gap.... Leave it open and you collect dust in the box.... Add some RTV and it helps seal it from dust...

AL

jaroot
04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Al

I'll check that out!

Where the cover passes over the center raise and lower shaft is a gap.... Leave it open and you collect dust in the box.... Add some RTV and it helps seal it from dust...

AL

jaustin
01-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Jerry,
came across this post and pattern of the 1911 grips,
did you ever get these to carve if so how they turn out?

I order a 1911 today and want to make a set of grips for it.

Smoken D
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Caught me on this one, didn't pay any attention to the date of the thread. Was gonna get a hold of Jerry and offer my machine. Ha! sure got me:rolleyes:

SteveNelson46
01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Jerry

I didn't see anything in your .mpc that would cause the problem. In the past I have carved a few knife handles and I left the board thickness at .75 and set the depth of the domed surface to .75 minus the actual thickness of the finished handle and then adjusted the height. I don't know if this helps. Just a suggestion.

EDIT:

Oops, I didn't look at the original post date either. Oh well, better late than never!

jaustin
01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Sorry all couldn't decide if i should of IM and asked or bump the post.
Figured bumping the post would be best in case in the future someone else came across and was wondering also.

cnsranch
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi, guys....

Frankly, I don't remember what the fix was for the stall - my biggest problem at the time was blowing the x gear - that's been long since fixed.

John - I have made some 1911 grips, but still haven't gotten them the way I want them.

1911's are probably the easiest to do, because the backside of the grip itself is flat (some grips have to fit around millings of the pistol - the 1911 doesn't).

That said, I intend to get back to the grips, but here are the issues I dealt with in the past.....

1. Designing a grip mpc from scratch isn't as hard as it sounds, but the key is getting the screw holes perfect - if they're off by just a tad, the grip won't fit.

2. My biggest success was by scanning the original grip, and carving that - that works, but what I'd really like is a completely smooth grip, then place a design on that (the grips I've scanned aren't smooth - they're checkered). So, I find that my scanned grips change their size when I mess with them in Pattern Editor - i.e., the dimensions change as I use smoothing, etc. And, changing their size ain't good, cause it changes the screw holes, overall dimensions, etc.....

So, that said, I intend to go back to the drawing board and see if I can design the grip from scratch again, as well as work on the scanned image.

As you can see from the date of this original post, those tasks have been put on the back burner.

jaustin
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Jerry thanks for the update.
I will try to find a smooth set of grips and learn how to use the scanner I bought (2 years ago and have not take it out of the box yet)and see what I can come up with.

eelamb
01-18-2013, 10:04 PM
If you search you will find many post on making the 1911 grips. I just ran across this pattern.
Search for "1911" and you will see some nice one carved.

jaustin
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks ed for the pattern.

cnsranch
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
I'll post this in a new thread, but here you go....

Bloodwood on the 1911, and a cherry set.

No stain, just poly.

Owner's initials, and he wanted to celebrate 100 years of the 1911.