PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Cuts

DKD
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi guys, I just got my v-bits and Centerline software.

I noticed the machine making some very aggressive cuts so My Question is...

Is there a way to control how the machine will cut out the heavier areas or is that just how it will be every time?

I was working with cedar so it did a great job and wasn't a problem, but had it been maple or anything hard I don't see that it could have cut that deep and fast using the 90 deg. V-bit without causing trouble.

AskBud
04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi guys, I just got my v-bits and Centerline software.

I noticed the machine making some very aggressive cuts so My Question is...

Is there a way to control how the machine will cut out the heavier areas or is that just how it will be every time?

I was working with cedar so it did a great job and wasn't a problem, but had it been maple or anything hard I don't see that it could have cut that deep and fast using the 90 deg. V-bit without causing trouble.
The aggressiveness of the Centerline carve depends upon the font you select, along with the size you make the text involved.
The darker and wider the font appears in the selection window, the deeper it will carve. This means you need the keep the bit sharp and free of pitch (before you begin). The thinner the selected font, the less deep it will carve. It's also true that the smaller the text the less deep it will be.

I'll also warn you not to panic, if and when you watch the unit carve your Centerline text. The unit will jump/move from place to place carving the text as it determines best. This will not always be the sequence you expect. just allow the machine to do its work to completion, and it will return to finish the text areas that were previously skipped.

The above is also applicable to some other lines carved with the same bit as used on Centerline text on the same MPC. The following link give more insight on one of those situations. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15393-Dont-PANIC&highlight=panic
AskBud