PDA

View Full Version : how do I open and view "try" projects

mikemotherway
04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi,
I downloaded a few projects from the pattern depot. I clicked the "try" button and downloaded the zip file. When I try to open through the Project Designer I get a message stating I need a license code to view the file. I thought "try" allowed viewing but couldn't upload to the machine. Am I missing something?

thanks

mtylerfl
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I downloaded a few projects from the pattern depot. I clicked the "try" button and downloaded the zip file. When I try to open through the Project Designer I get a message stating I need a license code to view the file. I thought "try" allowed viewing but couldn't upload to the machine. Am I missing something?

thanks

Hi Mike,

As far as I know, you cannot view the actual MPC files anymore. However, you CAN view and read the PDF instructions. That should give you a fair idea of how a particular project comes together, etc. before deciding whether it is an item you may want to purchase.

mikemotherway
04-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. Hopefully the "try" buttons will be removed soon to help eliminate confusion.
Mike

AskBud
04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. Hopefully the "try" buttons will be removed soon to help eliminate confusion.
MikeSome of the older projects allow for viewing of the MPCs. It may be a new restriction, or it may be that we just need a designer version as high as the person used to design the project. As an example, I'm still on 1.177 and some may be designing their work in 1.178. However, I would think that Mike might be using 1.178, which would mean it's a change in LHR security.

In any event, we still need the "Try" button to be able to view the PDF file explaining the project.
AskBud

mikemotherway
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi,
Interesting point. The pdf gives ability to view the instructions and see some images, but doesn't really allow "try". I am running the latest version as I just installed. I like the pdf. Perhaps another name like "instructions" ? I say this because I was truly hoping to "try". I thought the intent was to allow trying the model but not have the ability to upload. Just a difference in capability. If some files truly allow "try", how can one tell the difference between files that can be opened at tried and have instructions only viewable? Mostly wanting to save some time in knowing what I'm downloading.
Thanks

AskBud
04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi,
Interesting point. The pdf gives ability to view the instructions and see some images, but doesn't really allow "try". I am running the latest version as I just installed. I like the pdf. Perhaps another name like "instructions" ? I say this because I was truly hoping to "try". I thought the intent was to allow trying the model but not have the ability to upload. Just a difference in capability. If some files truly allow "try", how can one tell the difference between files that can be opened at tried and have instructions only viewable? Mostly wanting to save some time in knowing what I'm downloading.
Thanks
Patterns may be "tried", however Project MPCs can contain many patterns which complicates the security of the work for sale. If you are using version 1.178, and you are not able to "Try" or view anything but the PDF (instruction) file, then it's probably because LHR has determined that the possibility for pirating the work was possible. Most PDF files, on a project, show one or more views of the project involve along with a comprehensive list of supplies needed.
AskBud

dougmsbbs
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I feel the need to chime in here with a personal opinion. I like the 'try' idea, in that I can load them into designer and resize and so on, without the ability to upload and cut until I pay for it. I have used it, and bought a few patterns that I liked. But being only able to view a pdf of a pattern is a problem. I like to see it in designer, on a project I'm designing. See how it fits, how it looks at the size and depth I want, and how it fits in with other elements of the project I'm doing. Without that ability I really doubt I'll be doing much purchasing of individual patterns from now on. Complete projects, like the pattern of the month, yes. Separate elements, no.

Just my thoughts...

mikemotherway
04-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks. That makes good sense. I'm just curious how to tell the difference on the website without having to download to find out which tries work and which are pdf. It seems it would be helpful to alter the label for pdf view only... just for clarity.

AskBud
04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I feel the need to chime in here with a personal opinion. I like the 'try' idea, in that I can load them into designer and resize and so on, without the ability to upload and cut until I pay for it. I have used it, and bought a few patterns that I liked. But being only able to view a pdf of a pattern is a problem. I like to see it in designer, on a project I'm designing. See how it fits, how it looks at the size and depth I want, and how it fits in with other elements of the project I'm doing. Without that ability I really doubt I'll be doing much purchasing of individual patterns from now on. Complete projects, like the pattern of the month, yes. Separate elements, no.

Just my thoughts...
Perhaps I was not clear!
Single "Patterns", in the store, may be tried as usual!

What may have changed, with the new "Projects", not patterns, being offered, is some ability to "try" one of the MPC files within the project. You may view the PDF/instruction file(s) to garner much information about the design of the project, including one or more pics of the finished product.
Purchased Projects have been designed to use suggested pieces of material and tools, with given settings. Some are able to be altered in size, by the buyer, however they were designed to eliminate much of the guess-work/thinking that we include in our own MPC designs/projects.
AskBud

dougmsbbs
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Thank you, Bud! I guess I wasn't reading it as close as I should have, or was reading in what I didn't want to hear. Thanks for clarifying!