PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Lubrication Tube

bergerud
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I now have 500 hours on my machine and have never had a problem with the flex shaft. Every 50 hours or so I use Gunk chain lube with moly to lubricate the flex shaft. Instead of laying the shaft out straight and spraying lube everywhere, I use a 3 ft piece of copper tubing bent around into a circle. I spray the lube into both ends of the tubing and then slide in the flex shaft. I rotate the flex shaft as I slide it in and out. After it soaks for awhile, I slide it out and hang it up to dry. (I put pen caps on the tubing to keep out the dirt until next time.)

My theory is that bending the flex shaft while immersed in lube helps the lube penetrate into the flex shaft.

The method also conserves lube and avoids the toxic mess.

gregsolano
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Good idea, uses much less than my coiling it in a plastic coffee can and letting it soak. Although I put the lid on and leave the lube for the next time.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2011, 01:23 AM
I squirt a dime size blob between my fingers and with the center of the flex exposed rub it in the center 12 inches... Nothing special... Usually after feeling the first heat on the shaft.... I pet the shaft at every bit change... Find heat let the project finish and pop the flex and while still warm lube the center 12 inches.... Only a dime size.... Works for me.... Abount every 6 months...

I like the copper tube idea too.... Little mess....

AL

bergerud
04-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Compared to your method Al, mine is overkill! I wonder, however, about waiting for heat. My cable has never felt hot to me. Heat may mean damage is occurring with metal on metal friction inside the shaft. Amazing, though, how little lube is apparently required.

henry1
04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I now have 500 hours on my machine and have never had a problem with the flex shaft. Every 50 hours or so I use Gunk chain lube with moly to lubricate the flex shaft. Instead of laying the shaft out straight and spraying lube everywhere, I use a 3 ft piece of copper tubing bent around into a circle. I spray the lube into both ends of the tubing and then slide in the flex shaft. I rotate the flex shaft as I slide it in and out. After it soaks for awhile, I slide it out and hang it up to dry. (I put pen caps on the tubing to keep out the dirt until next time.)

My theory is that bending the flex shaft while immersed in lube helps the lube penetrate into the flex shaft.

The method also conserves lube and avoids the toxic mess.
Very good Ideal now why did I not think of that lol