PDA

View Full Version : How to design a bead around a box lid?

shotgun 6
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I need help in completing a design of a box in the shape of a heart with a 1/8" raised bead around the edge of the top (lid) -- specifically, how do you make the bead in Designer? I have used Designer tp make the bottom and sides of the box and a plain domed lid, but I can't figure out how to make a 1/8" bead around the top edge. A year or so ago I downloaded the Round Box from CW with the shell pattern on the lid which has the bead around the top edge of. I have carved several for my wife, daughters, granddaughters and friends with different patterns on the lid. The raised bead sets the top off and I would like to do the same on a "Heart Music Box" design for Christmas presents. Thanks for any help.

jaroot
04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm sure that some of the more experienced guys will chime in regarding this, but as far as I know you'll have to design the beaded edge with some other program and import it into designer.

cnsranch
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
shotgun

Play with the attached - I made this with the rectangle tool, assigning the carving bit, then adding the appropriate surface to the areas.

Depth and height is key, also getting the rectangles to line up right - mine was quick and dirty - use snap to grid to get it perfect.

Kenm810
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
The easiest way I've found to do it is like "jaroot" mentioned -- a graphics software outside of CW Designer,
I often use a Free one named Paint.Net ( http://www.getpaint.net/index.html (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html))
I draw the shape I want -- then use the Gaussian Blur or Unfouce tools to get the effect I want, save it as a Png File
and Import it into CW Designer or Pattern Editor for final touch-ups if needed. That way you can have a pattern to use as often as you like.

I'm sure other folks will also add a few more suggestions

cnsranch
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
You're right, Ken - I've also used MS Publisher to create the ovals I use - assign a gray color to the oval, bring it into PE, and with the blur and smooth tools, get the rounding effect I want.

Kenm810
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Jerry,

MS Publisher is one of my favorites, I often use it with CW designer,
and also when I have several Photos and files that I want to open on the Forum
I can use it to get around the Forms 5 file Limit by inserting as many as I want
onto a Publisher page -- click Select-All and save them all a a single Photo to save space,
and repeated posts on the Forum.

liquidguitars
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice work Ken!

shotgun 6
04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for responding to my request for help, especiall Ken and Jerry for your input which I'll put to use tonight. I really appreciate this forum and everyone's willingness to "lend a hand."

Bill