PDA

View Full Version : all right, you could knock me over with a feather

lawrence
04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I just got a $500 order for a lithophane (12x18 with a lightbox and small shadowbox built in)

I purposely overpriced the bid a bit (and told the buyer so) as I am backed up in projects right now, but when I told him I was really bogged down he said "what price would get you to do this project now?" and I told him $500... and it took him all of 1/2 second to say "done, I'll bring you the check for half tomorrow"

I'll certainly be putting a significant effort into the box and carvings on the sides and will be using some very nice wood, but as for the litho itself he wants this exact picture that I've already done.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Carvewright/P1020963640x480.jpg

Sorry if this seems "bragging" as I'm certainly not meaning to-- I'm just really excited and wanted to share the excitement with you all.

Lawrence

dougmsbbs
04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Way To Go!!!

Brag away. You deserve it. And thats one mighty fine looking litho!

Deolman
04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Kudos to you!

cestout
04-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I had no desire to do lithophane, but now I do!
Clint

RogerB
04-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Way to go two thumbs up

lynnfrwd
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Swwwwweeeeeet!

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Imagine coupling a Litho with the Bird Feeder in another thread and a CFL for a light. Compact fluorescent light.

The subject would be different... Say Family Pictures... WOW.....

Now for this... The right subject, Professional Workmanship, and Litho Ability. Military is a HOT topic... For many reasons... AND generally don't have a problem spending money on something like this.

Good Job,

AL

liquidguitars
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Very cool, It's nice to bid a little higher...

TerryT
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
If you're not bragging you should be! Congrats!

Capt Bruce
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Home Run Lawrence! Congratulations on the bid and the score. And really nice litho.

mtylerfl
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Supply and demand... You're the supplier and customers demand your fine craftsmanship! It is an encouragement to all of us when we hear about our fellow carvers' success stories! Good going, Lawrence!

gregsolano
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
The litho is really nice, I can see why he wanted it so badly, Congrats!

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I was just thinking how adding text to the frame would be a nice touch... A Picture Frame Front with room to Centerline Text stuff and a light box backing. Or even just a wider base for text and leave the clean lines of the 3 sided box.... Not trying to change it.... Excellent Design... Just offering options.

Yes, you hit a home run.... Supply and Demand... I raised all my prices twice..... and the orders keep comming.... 11:30 PM and my carving machine just finished.

AL

fwharris
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Not bragging just simple facts of a great deal! Hats off to you sir!

SharonB
04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Lawrence....I can see why he'd want to pay that much for the litho....it is a great design. And it's really great when someone else appreciates all the work you put into your designs.

Frederick_P
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
And why would you think that it ISN'T worth $500.00?? People frequently undervalue their talent because they are just so thrilled to get paid for what they love to do. But if you don't value your work, then nobody else will either. Be proud of your skills and understand that it took you a long time to acquire them, just like many other professions, and so if others want to benefit from those skills, they should be willing to pay for it. If they perceive you as an artisan and not just a wood working enthusiast, then they will be happy to pay for the piece and proudly proclaim "Yup! This is an original Lawrence! It's worth a lot but his work will be worth more in the future. I think of it as an investment."

It's all about perception. It's not so much about how good you are, but about how good people think you are. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are not better than you really are.

Congratulations!

jaroot
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Your litho looks great! Art is worth what art is worth, I'm sure that the buyer thinks it is worth it or he wouldn't have offered. Glad to see you get something for your efforts.

JDPratt
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
That's a great gloat and that is one fantastic litho pic. I am curious about the lighting you used. It looks more difussed than regular lithos so you don't have the same central glare. Is it the camera or the lights in the litho. I definitely like it.