PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Bird Feeder Project

TerryT
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of my latest project, a victorian style bird feeder. The design was based on an old scroll saw feeder. The design took a while but the painting took the longest time of the whole project. Thanks to my artist wife Kathy for the fancy paint job. The project, with all patterns ready to load into your Carvewright and instructions, is for sale on our website and the Pattern Depot. This is a large project. The feeder is 30 inches tall and 12 inches in diameter on the main part. The roof section is 15 inches wide. The bird seed sits in a 10 inch tera cotta saucer placed inside the feeder. Suet can be mounted underneath to serve only those that it is intended for. Extremely easy to build.

We now have the best eating establishment in the neighborhood (if you're a Dark eyed Junco).

jaroot
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Nice job! Looks good.

mtylerfl
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Very nice, Terry and Kathy!

Kenm810
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Great team work, Terry and Kathy

A nice touch or addition to any yard!

TerryT
04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
LOL Ken! Your feeder has more birds than mine so far! Now we need to add a few goldfinch, mountain blue birds, Cedar Waxwing, etc.

easybuilt
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice Looking bird feeder! That should get the birds to home in on your back yard. Better cover up those fish!

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Terry,

Excellent Designs and Perfect Painting..... That is definitely a winner....

Here is a thought.... Made as a outside light...... Small wattage bulb... or NO Heat LED's.... Considering the design with Roses a whole line of Flower additional .ptn's would be a BIG HIT......

Isn't is nice to see the Artistic guys making Hardware guys like me just say.... "WOW".... And the Beauty is all we Hardware Guys need to do is purchase the pattern.... The CW is a Great System...... Turning Hammer Jockeys into Professional Carvers....

Good Job,

AL

Edit... Would make a great Litho Housing.... Kids Pictures.....

gregsolano
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Its really nice, I haven't bought a project yet, this could be the first.

earlyrider
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
We don't get too many Victorian birds here in Utah; someone needs to put one of these up here to see what comes.
Would pink flamingoes count?
Ron

rcdages
04-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Terry & Kathy,

What a nice project and wonderful paint job on it.

SharonB
04-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Terry....just might have to get that bird feeder design from you once we get back from Texas. We don't have the variety of birds here in Central Oregon that you do in Spokane but it would certain look nice hanging from one of the Juniper trees in my yard. And I certain like Al Who's idea of making it or something similar into a light.

TerryT
04-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Terry,

Excellent Designs and Perfect Painting..... That is definitely a winner....

Here is a thought.... Made as a outside light...... Small wattage bulb... or NO Heat LED's.... Considering the design with Roses a whole line of Flower additional .ptn's would be a BIG HIT......

Al
That is a good idea, I may make a smaller version and give it a try

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Al
That is a good idea, I may make a smaller version and give it a try

Thanks

Even as a 4 sided Litho Holder too.....

AL

Router-Jim
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Terry, that looks terrific.

TerryT
04-14-2011, 01:28 AM
This project is now listed on the Carvewright website pattern depot.

TerryT
04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Here is the second Victorian style bird feeder I carved. We decided to only paint the roof on this one. Everything else is stained Sedona Red. I sprayed a gloss poly spar varnish over the top.

mtylerfl
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
That is superb, Terry! Really, really nice!

rcdages
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Terry,

Bird feeder looks GREAT !!!

I like the stain look along with the paint job on the roof it really stands out.

TerryT
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys. I am happy with the way it all turned out.

DocWheeler
04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys. I am happy with the way it all turned out.

Terry

As well you should be.
That is a beautiful bird feeder.

SharonB
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Terry... now I know I'm going to get the pattern from you yet this summer. It is a great design.

jaustin
04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Looks like I will be buying this pattern.
How long does it take to carve and what type of wood would be recommended?

easybuilt
04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I think you have another winner.!! Beautiful Job Terry!!

jpaluck
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Very nice looking Terry

TerryT
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Looks like I will be buying this pattern.
How long does it take to carve and what type of wood would be recommended?

This is a large project, but it's one of the easiest projects there is to build. Each panel takes about 3.5 hours on normal and about 5 I believe on Best setting to carve.

I glued up a couple of poplar boards to make the panels. Pine (or actually any wood) should work well also. Between stain and/or paint and a good coat of poly spar varnish to seal it all up, it should last for years with little maintenance. We plan on selling them at the up coming Home and Garden show. I have seen bird houses and feeders that aren't this nice go for over $150, and they don't have any carved designs on them.

TerryT
09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
If you want to keep seeing all those beautiful birds from this summer all through the winter you need to get your feeders out now! It's really cool to see all those great looking birds in the winter time. Just keep food out for them and many of them will stay.

Kenm810
09-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi Terry,

Right on with the Bird Feeder info and suggestions for Winter Bird Watching,
Our Bird Feeders are going Great Guns right now, loads for Birds, and Ducks,
plus we have Black, Gray, and Red Squirrels, even a few Chipmunks thrown in.

The Back Yard looks like a real Chinese Fire Drill when they often all turn up at the same time to eat!!

TerryT
10-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok, here is a warning to go with bird feeders. The pictures below show breakfast time at TerryT's this morning. Unfortunately the feeders are apparently too close to our slider on the deck. We have had two gold finches hit the window during an apparent feeding frenzy. One of them died. We tried to count them but it was impossible. The feeders were full and so were the trees. They would swoop in and chase each other from the feeders. So the plan for today is to move the feeders farther away but still so the wife can see all the birds.

Scott31
09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Very nice detail..

ladjr
09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
That sounds like a good problem. Great feeders.

rcdages
09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Love the photo's.