PDA

View Full Version : How the bits work

rgant05
01-11-2007, 04:43 AM
I've got a question regarding the use of the optional router bits that are available. I have attached a "play around design" that hopefully will clarify my question. If you design cut-outs where you specify something like the 1/2" bullnose router.... does the machine use the carving bit to make this cut or does it tell you to install the 1/2" bullnose router? In other words do you have to buy that particular bit before you can cut something like what I have attached?

Roger

(patiently waiting for my new machine that was ordered from Sears yesterday :) (but not wasting a moment to get started)

BobHill
01-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Roger,

You get two bits with your machine: 1) the straight 1/8" vector cutting bit and the 1/16" v shaped raster carving bit. When you have an object to carve (a raster image) the machine will automatically call for the carving bit. When you have an object to cut (a vector line path image) the machine will automatically call for the cutting bit. The machine will always do all the design carving and then will stop and call for a bit change and complete the cutting as called for in your design. When you first call for the design to be worked, it'll call for and set both the carving and cutting bit depths, then ask for the carving bit to be installed before it measures your wood. Pretty much you can't go wrong. If you call for a special bit (bit selection) like a V bit for vector lettering (center cut or outline cut), the machine also will know that and call for it when needed. Same when you are routing.

Bob