PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft gone bad

jaroot
04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Machine started making a weird noise today. Seemed like it was coming from/caused by the flex shaft. I've been monitoring the flex shaft tempurature, the old fashioned way by holding my hand on it from time to time. It hasn't been getting warm so I never thought much about it. I finished up a carve and decided to pull the shaft and check it out and put some lube on it. I took it loose from the spindle and the shaft will not come out of the shielding. I have to assume that something inside has gone very bad. I'm sure that I could have prevented this but based on the non-heating I just ignored the shaft until it started complaining. We've got about 135hrs on the cut motor now. Is there anything you guys would sugget that we do maintainance wise other than the normal clean and lube. The machine has been working great by the way. Carvetight was definately worth the money and time.

Thanks
Jim

mtylerfl
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi Jim,

I had that happen once. It took a pair of pliers and a hard "pull" but it came out. I examined the end that went into the motor (that's the end that was stuck). The end was out of "square" slightly. I gently pounded the end square again using a hammer and anvil/vise. Worked like a charm and have had no problems since...that was about a year or so ago.

jaroot
04-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Michael

Thanks for the info. I tried to pull it out with pliers but wasn't tough enough. I guess I was a little afraid of hurting the machine but I guess I'll have to eventually get it out even to replace it. I'll give it another try today and get tougher with it.

Thanks again.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I had that happen once. It took a pair of pliers and a hard "pull" but it came out. I examined the end that went into the motor (that's the end that was stuck). The end was out of "square" slightly. I gently pounded the end square again using a hammer and anvil/vise. Worked like a charm and have had no problems since...that was about a year or so ago.

bjbethke
04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Michael

Thanks for the info. I tried to pull it out with pliers but wasn't tough enough. I guess I was a little afraid of hurting the machine but I guess I'll have to eventually get it out even to replace it. I'll give it another try today and get tougher with it.

Thanks again.
Jim

You may have a bad front motor bearing that is coming apart, I had that happen and it started making odd noises. I needed to take the motor apart to get the flex shaft out. The flex shaft was OK just jammed in the motor.

jaroot
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Interesting!

I did have to take the housing off in order to get the shaft out of the motor. I lubed and cleaned and put it all back together I'll try cutting something later today and see if the noise is still there. If it is I guess I'll check into the motor bearing.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

You may have a bad front motor bearing that is coming apart, I had that happen and it started making odd noises. I needed to take the motor apart to get the flex shaft out. The flex shaft was OK just jammed in the motor.