PDA

View Full Version : SAT - STL File formats

BlueRocco
04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
So I can output STL files from My AutoCAD, But I can not import them. I can export SAT files AND import SAT files. Both seem to be Solid Model File Formats, BUT the STL files are heavy with tessellated surfaces and the SAT files are accurate 3D models. Does the STL importer utilize ONLY STL files? What about the Carvewright pattern files? Can it import those as well as the STL files? I see that EVERYONE loves the STL program, so what I'm trying to do is bring in some files from my 3D AutoCAD and carve them. Perhaps create shapes to carve into Guitars, guitar parts etc. What else do I need besides the STL program to make this all work together?

James RS
04-03-2011, 05:32 AM
The STL importer only imports STL files

kool69sporty
04-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Rocco, there should be some freeware conversion programs around to allow STL to SAT & vis versa. I'd suggest a web search. I use an old trial version of SolidWorks for 3D, export to eDrawings and then to STL, reverse the process to import. Just my 2 cents. Joe

BlueRocco
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I'll do that! Thanks!

BlueRocco
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
But what I'm hearing from looking at all the posts is that the STL Importer is really something you should have for your Carvewright to reach it's full potential, right??!!

mtylerfl
04-03-2011, 02:10 PM
So I can output STL files from My AutoCAD, But I can not import them. I can export SAT files AND import SAT files. Both seem to be Solid Model File Formats, BUT the STL files are heavy with tessellated surfaces and the SAT files are accurate 3D models. Does the STL importer utilize ONLY STL files? What about the Carvewright pattern files? Can it import those as well as the STL files? I see that EVERYONE loves the STL program, so what I'm trying to do is bring in some files from my 3D AutoCAD and carve them. Perhaps create shapes to carve into Guitars, guitar parts etc. What else do I need besides the STL program to make this all work together?

Hello,

You should be able to change the facet tolerance in your AutoCad software for a higher resolution STL file to get a smooth output. I know in ArtCAM, Aspire, and the CarveWright STL Exporter we can control the triangulation 'resolution' so it eliminates the (visible) tessellation. I'll usually set the output resolution for 0.001" (or even 0.0001" depending upon the item and detail required).

liquidguitars
04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
BUT the STL files are heavy with tessellated surfaces

That's the idea.. the export cam files need to be dense in order to be carved smooth... the trick is to do your work in solid surface modeler like Modo 3d "Catmull-clark " then up res the file when exporting to STL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

SteveEJ
04-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Did I read somewhere that the STL importer would be able to export CW Designer files in STL format? Maybe I was just imagining things again.. Being exhausted will do that I'm told! :-)

mtylerfl
04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Did I read somewhere that the STL importer would be able to export CW Designer files in STL format? Maybe I was just imagining things again.. Being exhausted will do that I'm told! :-)

Hi Steve,

The STL Importer, in conjunction with the Pattern Editor, can export a PTN (i.e., one you made yourself) or MPW file as STL. I have done that quite often when I want to do additional modeling and/or alteration of a scan (MPW) using ArtCAM or Aspire, for example. I'll be covering that at the CarveWright User Conference and demonstrate how useful that feature can be.

SteveEJ
04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Cool.. Thanks Michael.. Saving more pennies. I can see a good marriage between my CW and my Legacy via software..

Dhaffner
04-08-2011, 12:35 AM
"Catmull-clark"...man..now I have to practice writing in recursive again...